IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How to stop a halibrand rear from leaking?
8/18/10, 3:29 PM   #1
How to stop a halibrand rear from leaking?
champcar50

I have a old dirt champ car with a halibrand rear end it continues to leak from the pinion no matter what I do. I have tried a seals it in the torque tube and have replaced the front bearing several times still a leak. Any ideas?

8/18/10, 9:48 PM   #2
Re: How to stop a halibrand rear from leaking
sprntr

Drain the fluid out. Also works with Winters & Frankland rear ends.

Seriously, I ran a bead of Permatex around the bearing before installing it. Housing is well used.

Make sure your breather vent isn't plugged & is large enough. Mine is 1/4" i.d.

DON'T OVERFILL IT!! I only put in enough rear end grease to cover the teeth on the bottom of the ring gear, about an 1.75" in depth.

The only remaining leakage, more like seepage, that I have is from the side cover & rear cover gasket area. All three covers are less than flat!

steiny

8/19/10, 12:54 PM   #3
LEADERS EDGE

Not an easy thing to do. Without an internal seal they will leak some.
Put silicone between the splines and the bearing to seal up the openings between the splines.

If the bearing is loose in the housing, you can put a sleeve in it that fits the bearing tight in the bore.

8/21/10, 5:18 PM   #4
cars5752

I had pretty good results on my midget by using graphite packing that you can pick up at your hardware store. It comes in different size strings. I packed the splines on the lower input shaft where it goes through the inside of the bearing. Good Luck.

8/27/10, 7:15 AM   #5
tiggeracing

I found that we were putting too much oil in our rear end ,I added some ER additive that BR Motorsports sells ,Filled rear end up to the lower shaft ONLY mine quit leaking GOOD LUCK

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How to stop a halibrand rear from leaking?