IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana Midget Week Schedule Changes
1/31/08, 5:36 PM   #11
Re: Indiana Midget Week Schedule Changes
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

The basic trade off here is Union County in place of Kamp.:thumbsdown: That isn't even close.:headbang As PJ said, very disappointing.

1/31/08, 5:41 PM   #12
sprintcar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
The basic trade off here is Union County in place of Kamp.:thumbsdown: That isn't even close.:headbang As PJ said, very disappointing.
I don't think it's as basic as that. Maybe the new regime at USAC thought it was better to be associated with a $30,000 to win race in Iowa than be in Boswell, IN mid week. I know Kamp is an awsome track that puts on goo racing but if the new mindset at USAC is to broaden its horizons then this would seem a step in the right direction.

1/31/08, 5:42 PM   #13
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Clock View Post
Sometimes stuff happens and no one is at fault.:idea:
Dwight,

You always seem to find the right words. :respect:

1/31/08, 5:46 PM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Im with Dwight on this. We have the same number of races as last year anyway. I feel bad for Kamp and hope that maybe they could get another date for one of the series. They've been good stepping up to the plate. It was clearly the best attended show I went too last years Midget week.

Chuck, saying at least they are letting us know now and not raceday.

1/31/08, 6:04 PM   #15
Sprint63122

You would have thought they could straighten this out I was wondering what happened when Kamp posted there schedule and the first of august was not listed for midget week.I thought did make a great effort to run there two open wheel races last year especially the sprint week they stepped up to the plate big time with the weather forecast and ran the show.The midget week show was great they had a lot of cars both midgets and sprints and the format was great and the show was nice and it looks like it was one of the highest fan counts of the week why would you not want to go back there I was hoping to see more open wheel racing at Kamp this year not less.As for Osky it has been on its own since they started running this show no need to add a sanctioning body now to it should have left it under the touring topless week and went racing.

1/31/08, 6:06 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
While Im sure there have been disasters. A few of the best Sprint Car races I've seen both Winged and Non Winged were at Union County.

If they got good clay and water it, YEEHAW!. One thing I really like about it is the tightness of it. The backstraight is closer to the stands than any other track I've been too.

1/31/08, 6:11 PM   #17
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Clock View Post
Sometimes stuff happens and USAC
is at fault.:idea:
There fixed!If ya want to be involved with a $30,000 race have one on your own.

BOSWELL gave them a place to race when they needed one! And this is the thanks they get?

Drive 8 hours for one race that won't have a rain date.:icon_smile_blackeye

1/31/08, 6:19 PM   #18
Kirk Spridgeon

Derrek-
While the Oskaloosa race has never been a USAC-sanctioned race, it has never been scheduled against, either. The head-to-head scheduling this year would have put a damper on Boswell and taken away quite a few of the headliners at Oskaloosa. McCarl would have had a hard time putting on the race again next year after that hit to a show that probably isn't an overwhelming profit to him, anyway, at least in comparison to the race he has on Monday.

Also, I'm sure USAC wanted both events to happen, but there's no way both would have been successful against each other, whether USAC sanctioned them both or not. Ultimately, one of the Midget Week races would have had to go and Union County was the obvious choice, as a newcoming track with a questionable past and not much of a following among the USAC guild. Unfortunately, that race must have already been under contract or something because it's obviously still on the schedule while Boswell, which deserves a Midget Week race as much as any other venue on that schedule, has been taken off....

The people involved who made this problem come about screwed up royally and we can only hope that Boswell comes back again next year.

And for those of you who wonder why it is a big deal for people on here, simply look back to last year's scheduling problems and all the hell it caused. And after all that, is Sharon on the schedule this year? These problems only create more for the future, and I, for one, would be extremely upset if the midgets didn't return to Boswell!

1/31/08, 6:22 PM   #19
Kirk Spridgeon

And Aero, whether you want to rag on it or not, Oskaloosa is a VERY important race for the USAC racer. If you want to get rid of races that pay that much, have fun watching another glorified quarter-midget series.
The reason a few guys can actually make a living is because of events like that. There is no way to have a rain date. Give them a little bit of credit and realize that they can't possibly run it at any other time. Last year sucked, but that's the way it goes. It is the biggest single-day sprint car race on the schedule, and all the badasses deserve a chance to go out there and take home the big check. I'm sure it was a huge shot in the arm to professional drivers Jerry Coons, Jr. and Levi Jones the past two races, and I sure would hate to see it go away....

1/31/08, 6:25 PM   #20
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
There fixed!If ya want to be involved with a $30,000 race have one on your own.

BOSWELL gave them a place to race when they needed one! And this is the thanks they get?

Drive 8 hours for one race that won't have a rain date.:icon_smile_blackeye
Imagine you are Kamp management. A couple of months ago you book your midget week race. USAC recieves an unforseen opportunity to have one of the two biggest traditional sprint car races in the country under their banner, Oskaloosa. They already have the other one, Perris. At Kamp you now see that your field might be somewhat diluted. But, as a businessman, you understand what USAC did. You probably would have done it yourself. The only potential backup date for your race is a Monday. Unacceptable. So, while not happy about it, you understand and step back. This type of thing happens in business every day of the week. Yes, I'm dissapointed that Kamp won't be on the IMW schedule this year. And, yes, I understand what USAC had to do. That's life. You're born, s**t happens, more s**t happens, and then you die.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana Midget Week Schedule Changes