IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ambulances at Race Tracks
3/29/19, 10:31 AM   #1
Ambulances at Race Tracks
Ray3

Since the race season is starting to fire up again I think now is a good time to emphasize track safety. One of my pet peeves are race tracks who continue to deny the racers a properly fitted ambulance at the race track.

The common excuse is that the local ambulance only takes 5 minutes to get there. To me, thats not good enough. When you see ambulances at local high school football games, city festivals, state and local fairs, etc but not at race tracks, it disgusts me. We as racers and race fans should be demanding properly fitted ambulances at all racing events! Be sure to ask the promoter at every venue whether or not they have an ambulance on the grounds before you choose to race there. If they don't have one or refuse to provide one, don't go or load up and leave. Fans can help too by boycotting race tracks where there is no ambulance. It takes a full fledged effort of all of us to make racing safer and having an ambulance onsite for $500-600 is such a small price to pay.

Also, make sure the ambulance isn't just some old ambulance the promoter bought and parked in the infield. That trick does not fly. Make sure the ambulance is either a Basic Life Support or Advanced Life Support ambulance (I think most would prefer ALS) with properly trained EMTs and Paramedics. To read about the difference between BLS and ALS I included a link to an article here: https://firstaidservices.com/differe...right-for-you/
Last edited by Ray3; 3/29/19 at 11:09 AM.

3/29/19, 11:56 AM   #2
Re: Ambulances at Race Tracks
Promodified11

As racers we are the one to require this from the promoters/racetrack.We were at a nonwing sprintcar show 2 weeks ago & had a sprint get caught in the catch fence & was injured no ambulance on site.EMS was onsite in 10 minutes.Driver was treated & taken to hospital with concussion later released.Track was lucky could have been bad.Ray3 is right on this Series Directors & Race Promoters must be held responsible as they schedule the events.As Racers we must protect ourselves & make them be at the track.No one wants to not race but this will also protect the track/promoter from possible legal actions.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, PJ Wright, Ray3, ronmil
3/29/19, 11:57 AM   #3
revjimk

I'll probably catch hell for advocating any kind of government regulation, but there should be a law REQUIRING tracks to have an ambulance ready.
Or if tracks & sanctioning organizations do it in their own, this won't be necessary

6 members like this post: jim goerge, PJ Wright, Ray3, ronmil, trannyman, Xflagman
3/29/19, 12:15 PM   #4
Ray3

I recently asked a promoter if he had an ambulance onsite for his races. He told me yes they have one at every event. I did a little research and found out his "ambulance" was an EMT in a pick up truck. When I called him out on this he said "that is an ambulance." I'm sorry but an EMT, in a pick up truck, with a first aid bag is nowhere near the same as an ALS ambulance! This is why racers have to unite behind the ambulance requirement and clearly define what we mean by an ambulance.

5 members like this post: jim goerge, PJ Wright, ronmil, trannyman, Xflagman
3/29/19, 12:19 PM   #5
sprintracer82

I've loaded up and went home after finding out there isn't a fire crew or ambulance at the track. There was 22 other teams there and I was the only one to leave. It was a long 3 hour ride home. There are a few tracks I'll never darken their doorstep because of BS like that. I've heard nearly every excuse in the book including they can't legally retain an ambulance on site. Yet it's a requirement to have an ambulance and rescue crew at a high school football game. After loosing both my father and step father in racing accidents and growing up around people like Dick Beebe who helped pave the way for modern safety I won't tolerate it.
Nick Landon

3/29/19, 12:39 PM   #6
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I'll probably catch hell for advocating any kind of government regulation, but there should be a law REQUIRING tracks to have an ambulance ready.
Or if tracks & sanctioning organizations do it in their own, this won't be necessary
New Jersey the State Police do just that.

https://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pd...egulations.pdf

2 members like this post: jim goerge, ronmil
3/29/19, 12:53 PM   #7
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I remember going to a couple of stock car tracks in the Owensboro, KY area back in the seventies and hearing the announcer ask if any spectator had a station wagon that they could use as an ambulance! Someone in the stands volunteered a really nice 1965 Ford wagon.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, superstock30
3/29/19, 12:55 PM   #8
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

What tracks are you talking about? Around here I can’t recall ever not seeing one. In putnamville they’ve even stopped the races because the ambulance had to leave. Then they would continue once it got back.

4 members like this post: Bostonian, jim goerge, rockstar5, superstock30
3/29/19, 1:42 PM   #9
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Ambulance and a fire and rescue squad should be mandatory at track before any of the competitors agree to set a tire on the track.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Ray3, Xflagman
3/29/19, 2:35 PM   #10
Doug_00

insurance companies require ambulance and fire and rescue to beat the track anytime there are cars running.practice or racing .So you might want to check on insurance also

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Speedwrench
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ambulances at Race Tracks