IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts from a sprint car fan
5/23/19, 9:01 PM   #1
Thoughts from a sprint car fan
foytfan

Not trying to stir the pot but I’ve been a long time lurker on this board (9years or so) and a life long (40+years) sprint car fan.
My thoughts.....
I took my 14 year old son to Terre Haute last night for his first sprint car race in probably 8 years or so. He didn’t like them when he was younger so he wanted to try again. We got there as hot laps for sprinters was finishing up watched the mods hot lap 3 heats of sprint cars and 2 of mods. 2 features and on the road by 10:30. Talking to him he really enjoyed it wants to go more often. But here is my problem a thread on this board said it was a horrible waste of there money and didn’t get the entertainment that they paid for. If my boy was to read this what would he think?
From reading the thread and several just like it over the years I can’t for the life of me figure out if I have ever been to a good race and I have probably been to 250+ races. The conclusion I have came up with after reading all the post on here is.......
1. 31 cars are not enough 33 is to many.
2. It must be 4 heats a Bmain and a feature.
3. Any support class (where our hero’s might get their start at racing) is uncalled for and unnecessary.
4. If you can’t go sit exactly where you want (seats taped off) then why go?
5. If it starts at exactly 7 and be done by 10:30 that’s not worth my entertainment dollar.
6. If it starts a 7 and it runs past 11:30 that’s to long (I didn’t get home till after midnight and I gotta work)(see #3)
7. USAC is the antichrist and they are gonna kill our sport.
These are just a few of the thing I have observed from lurking around this board the last several years.
So can anyone tell me,and now my son have we seen a good sprint car show?
This I believe is what is hurting our sport more than anything too many unhappy people. Why would my son want to someday spend his money on something that makes so many people unhappy?
I for one enjoy every race I have been to. Long ones,short ones, the 24 hrs of putnamville( I was there watched every race)hot, cold, rain outs, but enjoyed all of them.

I’ll stop for now I could go on and on about this but that’s for another time.
Please feel free to add your thoughts. Good, bad or what ever. I’m not here to argue just trying to get some feed back.

Fotyfan.

5/23/19, 9:11 PM   #2
huskermudd

Well said for the people that complain I live in Nebraska and we only have two chances a year to see USAC and this this year thanks to the floods the sprint car show has been canceled so I hope the weather is good so we will be able to watch the Midgets be careful what you complain about we lost non wing sprint cars years ago I hope you don’t suffer the same fate

5/23/19, 9:18 PM   #3
Re: Thoughts from a sprint car fan
Jerry Shaw

Hopefully you've also noticed all the positive posts and stories shared by people who love racing. They outnumber the ones the complainers post, by a lot.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

5/23/19, 9:22 PM   #4
foytfan

I have noticed but in only takes one negative to undo a lot of the positive.

6 members like this post: davidm, erich45, fish, huskermudd, PJ Wright, Speedmax3
5/23/19, 9:40 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by foytfan View Post
Not trying to stir the pot but I’ve been a long time lurker on this board (9years or so) and a life long (40+years) sprint car fan.
My thoughts.....
I took my 14 year old son to Terre Haute last night for his first sprint car race in probably 8 years or so. He didn’t like them when he was younger so he wanted to try again. We got there as hot laps for sprinters was finishing up watched the mods hot lap 3 heats of sprint cars and 2 of mods. 2 features and on the road by 10:30. Talking to him he really enjoyed it wants to go more often. But here is my problem a thread on this board said it was a horrible waste of there money and didn’t get the entertainment that they paid for. If my boy was to read this what would he think?
From reading the thread and several just like it over the years I can’t for the life of me figure out if I have ever been to a good race and I have probably been to 250+ races. The conclusion I have came up with after reading all the post on here is.......
3. Any support class (where our hero’s might get their start at racing) is uncalled for and unnecessary.
5. If it starts at exactly 7 and be done by 10:30 that’s not worth my entertainment dollar.
6. If it starts a 7 and it runs past 11:30 that’s to long (I didn’t get home till after midnight and I gotta work)(see #3)
These are just a few of the thing I have observed from lurking around this board the last several years.
This I believe is what is hurting our sport more than anything too many unhappy people. Why would my son want to someday spend his money on something that makes so many people unhappy?
I for one enjoy every race I have been to. Long ones,short ones, the 24 hrs of putnamville( I was there watched every race)hot, cold, rain outs, but enjoyed all of them.

Please feel free to add your thoughts. Good, bad or what ever. I’m not here to argue just trying to get some feed back.

Fotyfan.
Easy to take the five negative or constructive criticism post on each thread vs the dozens of Had a great times.

I get what you mean, Sometimes I come home to the "Those who weren't even there" Posting negatives and some of the "Those who were there" Posting and wonder if they were even at the same track I was.

But overall most post or positive, most had a great time and crowds are better than I've seen in a decade.

Someone else posted ten years ago, THAT was sitting idle.
I'd much rather see ten cars on it, than none.

To be honest, I never even got there until after DA was gone.

2 members like this post: foytfan, superstock30
5/23/19, 9:49 PM   #6
IndianaSprintFan

I will say I use to be an avid LM fan. I got a lot of my information from 4m. That site has become an absolute joke of track and driver bashing with very little information. I can honestly say the downfall of that site made me stop keeping up with the sport and here I am. I know this wonderful site is no where near what 4m has become but constant complaints really can and will drive fans away

1 member likes this post: fish
5/23/19, 10:07 PM   #7
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 22

If you and your son enjoy it, then that’s all that matters! Some on this board you just can’t please no matter what. Too many cars, not enough. Over to quick, took to long, etc... they like to be a Monday morning promoter. I love the atmosphere of the track and the excitement of never knowing what’s going to happen. Don't let the naysayers influence your enjoyment of the sport. I for one won’t and will continue to support the sport I love.

5/23/19, 10:21 PM   #8
Spi-nex

I found that I enjoyed the race experience much more BEFORE I started paying attention to what others said on the internet. It seems over the years everyone has tried to program into others what they should and shouldn't enjoy rather than just stopping and realising how fortunate we are to have these first world problems. Something so subjective as "did you enjoy yourself" will only lead to a different answer no matter who you talk to and yet everyone seems to expect they will get everything they could ever want for their $15, but it just doesn't work that way... you don't get to have it all just because you are a paying customer. It feels like nothing more and nothing less than petty nit-picking something until all the fun is sapped out.

I've been to 30 states watching every kind of racing I could get to, but now I couldn't be bothered to attend a race anywhere and the attitude of fellow veteran race fans is a big reason why.

1 member likes this post: foytfan
5/24/19, 12:35 AM   #9
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by foytfan View Post
My thoughts.....

Fotyfan.
Excellent post! Well composed! I think you about got all the bullet points!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

5 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, foytfan, Ken Bonnema, PJ Wright, RockinRy
5/24/19, 12:42 AM   #10
Bad Dad 54

I have never been to a bad race in Ind, you wanna see a lousy race? come to a MI dirt track, you'll choke on the dust, bring goggles if you wanna watch race

1 member likes this post: foytfan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts from a sprint car fan