IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Atomic Speedway Accident
6/21/19, 11:41 PM   #1
PatrickMead#13

I was just sent a link a few minutes ago regarding a sprint car wreck where a car made it past the 3rd turn wall and hit the side of the grandstands. Story said 2 people were injured and the driver was beat up but ok. Prayers that everyone is ok over there tonight. Here is what I was sent.

http://www.sciotopost.com/breaking-n...d-people-hurt/
Last edited by PatrickMead#13; 6/21/19 at 11:44 PM.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, tirespinner, TNRustler
6/22/19, 12:44 AM   #2
Re: Atomic Speedway Accident
ChappyEight

It was Brinton Marvel. Thankfully he's okay and the fans appear to be okay.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, Charles Nungester, tirespinner
6/22/19, 12:49 AM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I was there, The driver was Brinton Marvel and I hope he's ok and moreover should not take this on his shoulders as his fault, he was the second car to leave the park and third violent flip in three heats.

I hope the fans turn out ok it could have been so much worse.

I have no proof of what the reason is, Other than what my own eyes could see. Cars were getting up into the new wall riding up and launching over it.

The first two flips happened up in turn two so really nothing is out there. I didn't see Brintons crash but I did see him fly thru the fence bounce off the end of the turn four grandstand and land to the right of the stands.

When the sanction pushes the remaining cars off the track and starts taking down their sponsor billboards, The show's over.

I guess they still ran the LM's and Mods. It was 1030 and they still hadn't hit the fourth of about 10 heats. So I left.

Feel bad for all involved, The wall was meant for safety and I agree with it. But a suitable next to the wall catch fence is also needed. Just my view, I don't fault anyone. McCowan has been doing a ton to improve. I hope they get it all straightened out.

Main thing, I hope and pray everyones ok.

6/22/19, 9:16 AM   #4
SoIllSprinter

Scary deal for all involved.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
6/22/19, 9:44 AM   #5
Jerry Shaw

I was watching it on Speedshift and was able to use the time bar at the bottom to replay it a couple of times. The irony in the incident was that even though the track's fence wasn't nearly up to the job of stopping a flying sprint car, the small fence/railing on that end of the grandstand held up and prevented the sprinter from going completely into the stands. It could have been a real disaster. Especially for that one individual that took some impact, before the recoil of that fence helped send the race car back over the side. And if that person had been sitting just a row lower, they would have taken an even harder hit. It just goes to show you what can happen if things go wrong at one of these race tracks and how you have to be aware at all times. Hopefully those injured are on their way to a full recovery.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

6/22/19, 9:48 AM   #6
Charles Nungester

I really don't know what to say other than Im so thankful it appears everyone will be ok.

I truly believe the hand of God kept that car from landing on them. (Your personal belief may be different and thats fine)

Cause etc. Won't go into.

What's bothering me now is people, "I WANT MY MONEY BACK"

Me, I want everybody healthy and able to go to another race.

6/22/19, 10:08 AM   #7
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
I was watching it on Speedshift and was able to use the time bar at the bottom to replay it a couple of times. The irony in the incident was that even though the track's fence wasn't nearly up to the job of stopping a flying sprint car, the small fence/railing on that end of the grandstand held up and prevented the sprinter from going completely into the stands. It could have been a real disaster. Especially for that one individual that took some impact, before the recoil of that fence helped send the race car back over the side. And if that person had been sitting just a row lower, they would have taken an even harder hit. It just goes to show you what can happen if things go wrong at one of these race tracks and how you have to be aware at all times. Hopefully those injured are on their way to a full recovery.

Jerry
Well stated, The irony is the wall was meant as a safety improvement and got exploited it's first night out.

There is no way to go into everything I see wrong at every track I go to. Some have very few that I could identify, Others have many that can be fixed, A few probably shouldn't be racing at all.

From what I've seen in racing over 50yrs is if it can happen, it eventually will.

The sport won't and can't ever be 100% safe. I say go enjoy it as much as you can But be self aware, Ask yourself, What if? Since I went to that track the first time, I'd of personally never sat in turn three. I don't sit or stand next to fences etc.

Like everyone else there, we were all in confused worry. once details that everyone was conscious and not life threatening. I then thought that Smoke would pull the plug. Several minutes later, That happened.

It was the right call.

No more post by me on the subject. I feel bad for everyone, Fans, Racers even the track,, yet relieved everyone will be ok.

6/22/19, 11:10 AM   #8
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I was there, The driver was Brinton Marvel and I hope he's ok and moreover should not take this on his shoulders as his fault, he was the second car to leave the park and third violent flip in three heats.

I hope the fans turn out ok it could have been so much worse.

I have no proof of what the reason is, Other than what my own eyes could see. Cars were getting up into the new wall riding up and launching over it.

The first two flips happened up in turn two so really nothing is out there. I didn't see Brintons crash but I did see him fly thru the fence bounce off the end of the turn four grandstand and land to the right of the stands.

When the sanction pushes the remaining cars off the track and starts taking down their sponsor billboards, The show's over.

I guess they still ran the LM's and Mods. It was 1030 and they still hadn't hit the fourth of about 10 heats. So I left.

Feel bad for all involved, The wall was meant for safety and I agree with it. But a suitable next to the wall catch fence is also needed. Just my view, I don't fault anyone. McCowan has been doing a ton to improve. I hope they get it all straightened out.

Main thing, I hope and pray everyones ok.
Your night mirrored mine, Chas. Too bad I did not know you were there - even though I never met you. I was down by Turn 1 all night while it lasted.

Yes.... glad all were good in the end. It could have been MUCH worse.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, tirespinner
6/22/19, 3:18 PM   #9
fish

This is from the fan injured:

Bruce Caplinger fan injured at Atomic Speedway

Hi Brad, thanks for your help and all those wonderful fans who may have saved me from paralysis! I am really really sore and was in shock last night. I tried to downplay my injuries because I didn’t want people upset and I wanted the races to continue. Road to recovery begins thanks and please tell the fans I love them ALL and appreciate all the prayers and well wishes! We are getting messages from all around the country. My back is broke I think L1-4, slight concussion. Not sure just yet how long I will be here. I will continue to support dirt track racing and atomic speedway. However, I’m done sitting in turns. Ouch! Thanks Bruce

6/22/19, 3:41 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

I tried to post that for two hours and kept getting a 500 internal server error.

Keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. Will help out when fund set up.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Atomic Speedway Accident