IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tonights midget show
12/14/15, 10:58 PM   #211
Re: Tonights midget show
short track scott

The Rumble mixes up the divisions pretty well so that the 600s and midgets don't smoke out the place. The karts and quarters don't hurt matters any, and when the doors are able to be open the building does a decent job of venting out.

This year with the mild temps the doors should be able to be up most of the evening. Here's to hoping the weather pattern holds up.

Regardless, the Rumble races will go on as usual.

12/14/15, 11:36 PM   #212
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

Would this idea work?

First off I want to make it clear that my theory of the format of this event is just to address the issues with cautions. And is not taking the fumes issue into account, although I believe this theory will help that issue out tremendously.

I was in the building for hotlaps/qualifying with only 4 cars on the track and it went very smooth. And after replaying that in my mind this is the basis for my theory...

Invitation Process: There is absolutely no need to invite 40 cars from each class. Invite 20 through a qualifier event process throughout the season. Winners of events and Points Champions only invited. If one driver dominates many races as seems to happen, you can substitute for highest average finish, 2nd in points series standings, etc. etc. You get the idea.

Hotlaps/Qualifying: Same way it was done this past weekend. 4 cars, 4 laps. After Qualifying is over have a fan (preferably a kid) flip a coin to determine if the slower cars in each race get advantage by starting inside. Kind of like an invert. Also have a purse for top 3 qualifiers. These two things combined will help deter sandbagging in qualifying as its all a crap shoot on who gets the starting advantage.

Bracket style races: Two cars to a race. 4 laps. Winner advances. Example: P1 vs. P20, P2 vs. P19, P3 vs. P18, etc. Ten races for each class. Losers go to the losers bracket round. From there you end up with the Champion of the winners bracket, who collects and keeps the winners purse. But he is then matched up with the winner from the losers bracket round, with that driver getting the preferred line of his/her choice. If the losers bracket champion wins, that driver takes home the trophy and bonus payout. If the winners bracket champion wins he collects a bonus payout, regular payout, and the trophy. This ensures that all drivers have a chance even if they lose in the first round.

My theory is that two cars at a time will reduce the cautions, will also allow for less fumes. You can also do all the other festivities to help air the building out. It would be entertaining... Imagine if a driver like Clauson or Larson lost in the first round, they wouldn't be completely out of it but they would definitely have to work for it to make it till the end. You add a little banking to the track and you might actually see a race.

It's not your traditional event, but could be worth a shot to try it. I think this format could work, maybe with some tweaking but using this overall concept. Maybe add in some grudge matches if the car owners wanted to throw some money in... Im sure you could incorporate some type of Charity event for this also.

This idea they had has potential to be something great, but it does need help and I think everyone realizes that now. It was the first event, and was a damn good try.

My question is..... would you, the fans, go for an event like this?

12/14/15, 11:59 PM   #213
racefan20

My eyes glazed over about 1/2 way thru the bracket racing paragraph

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, ModernDayDrifter, tubemaster
12/14/15, 11:59 PM   #214
chathamracefan

Earlier in this thread I mentioned something along the lines of speedway motorcycles. They run 4 rider heats all night and have a point system to work down to a 4 rider final. Something along your thought could work also.

1 member likes this post: ModernDayDrifter
12/15/15, 12:07 AM   #215
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

Racefan20, My apologies if I did not make it easier to read. Maybe you should try again? Don't forget your "." next time. Thanks!

chathamracefan, I actually read your post earlier. I had already thought about something like that and kind of spun off that and the Australian King of the Hill challenge, I believe Kokomo does something like this for the Smackdown?

12/15/15, 1:07 AM   #216
DAD

Speedway bikes and Midgets. Well Du Quoin does not race Speedway Bikes But they do have an indoor AMA Flat track series race there in the winter.

http://stevenaceracing.com/

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/15/15 at 1:14 AM.

12/15/15, 8:13 AM   #217
SWScaleChassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayDrifter View Post
Would this idea work?

First off I want to make it clear that my theory of the format of this event is just to address the issues with cautions. And is not taking the fumes issue into account, although I believe this theory will help that issue out tremendously.

I was in the building for hotlaps/qualifying with only 4 cars on the track and it went very smooth. And after replaying that in my mind this is the basis for my theory...

Invitation Process: There is absolutely no need to invite 40 cars from each class. Invite 20 through a qualifier event process throughout the season. Winners of events and Points Champions only invited. If one driver dominates many races as seems to happen, you can substitute for highest average finish, 2nd in points series standings, etc. etc. You get the idea.

Hotlaps/Qualifying: Same way it was done this past weekend. 4 cars, 4 laps. After Qualifying is over have a fan (preferably a kid) flip a coin to determine if the slower cars in each race get advantage by starting inside. Kind of like an invert. Also have a purse for top 3 qualifiers. These two things combined will help deter sandbagging in qualifying as its all a crap shoot on who gets the starting advantage.

Bracket style races: Two cars to a race. 4 laps. Winner advances. Example: P1 vs. P20, P2 vs. P19, P3 vs. P18, etc. Ten races for each class. Losers go to the losers bracket round. From there you end up with the Champion of the winners bracket, who collects and keeps the winners purse. But he is then matched up with the winner from the losers bracket round, with that driver getting the preferred line of his/her choice. If the losers bracket champion wins, that driver takes home the trophy and bonus payout. If the winners bracket champion wins he collects a bonus payout, regular payout, and the trophy. This ensures that all drivers have a chance even if they lose in the first round.

My theory is that two cars at a time will reduce the cautions, will also allow for less fumes. You can also do all the other festivities to help air the building out. It would be entertaining... Imagine if a driver like Clauson or Larson lost in the first round, they wouldn't be completely out of it but they would definitely have to work for it to make it till the end. You add a little banking to the track and you might actually see a race.

It's not your traditional event, but could be worth a shot to try it. I think this format could work, maybe with some tweaking but using this overall concept. Maybe add in some grudge matches if the car owners wanted to throw some money in... Im sure you could incorporate some type of Charity event for this also.

This idea they had has potential to be something great, but it does need help and I think everyone realizes that now. It was the first event, and was a damn good try.

My question is..... would you, the fans, go for an event like this?
If this was the set-in-stone format next year, I'd be all in! I love it. Outside the box. EXACTLY what the sport needs.

THAT is different, and probably JUST what this event needs. It's like a set of hot laps that pay, a tuneup for DuQuoin and Tulsa, and a killer way to market to the PRI crowd, assuming it goes back to Bankers Life. I'm pretty sure if Lucas Oil Stadium took up the race, well, problems solved (maybe).

Everywhere you go you have basically the same format. This idea is DIFFERENT and could really make this event stand out. Ditch tire management, fuel management. Splash 'o gas, elbows up.

Sell blank brackets to the fans, have em tweet a pic with a hashtag of their pics, and the winning bracket gets paid. 50/50 with that you have control of. Get "Kick-It" involved also.. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

1 member likes this post: Racer1039
12/15/15, 8:29 AM   #218
ossuks

Does anyone really think there is any way that the management at Bankers Life Fieldhouse is going to for a second consider a repeat of this event?? When this event was first announced my 1st thought was somebody at BLF was going to loose their job....if the track was wet there would be mud all over their building...even worse, if it was (and it was) dusty the mess left behind would be "epic"! I thought the promoters did an exceptional job of building a "track"...The management at BLF had no idea what they had allowed in their pristine building!

Do not take this as a negative shot at anyone...leaving behind a mess was inevitable..BFL is a "showcase facility" and will not allow anything like this to happen again.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, motorhead748
12/15/15, 3:33 PM   #219
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
We got there and it took forever to get in. Emptying everyone's pockets and searching everyone, and everyone going through metal detectors is ridiculous. Those were race people going to a race. Not basketball people going to basketball. The difference is pretty easy to tell, and facility staff should be smart enough to know the difference. If that is going to be the procedure, fine, but open the doors many hours earlier, so everyone can get in who wants to before cars hit the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Really???? Its the world we live in today. I think you veered into pretty dangerous territory with that comment
I completely stopped going to Cincinnati Bengals & Cincinnati Reds games because of this nonsense; nothing more than "prisoner programming". I won't be treated like a ******** just so I can witness a sporting event. When we give up our way of life in the vein search for absolute security, our enemies have prevailed. Just another reason I'm glad I stayed home.

Look out, Hoover! The boogeyman's gonna get you!

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. -Thomas Jefferson

2 members like this post: team3521, xoxide
12/15/15, 4:10 PM   #220
snoopy

I've been to several high school events there. Same security. Get used to it. It's a way of life in today's society.
As for the racing. Drivers need to adapt good or bad. Fewer yellows mean fewer laps and less fumes.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tonights midget show