IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cost of going sprint car racing?
10/12/15, 1:48 PM   #11
xoxide

It's growing but next year should be pretty good. If you'd like more information on the cars, costs, etc feel free to shoot me a message. You can't beat the cost of racing for the amount of fun they are.

2 members like this post: dctracy79, RookieMove
10/12/15, 2:17 PM   #12
Re: Cost of going sprint car racing?
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieMove View Post
I'm near Atlanta, GA.

xoxide, thanks for the link. Didn't know there was a active midget series in GA.
And the Southern States Division II Midget Series will be expanding next year and in 2017....2016 look for races in Swainsboro, Screven, Cochran, Needmore, Albany and of course our home track of Golden Isle (Brunswick) Ga. tracks. Also Brad Noffzinger in Charlotte have left USAC and are in the process of changing over to D-II with races in the Carolina's in which we will be working very close with him and his guys....ssmidgets.com check us out or come done to our last race of the season Nov. 14 at Needmore Speedway just south of Tifton Ga.

I have raced modifieds, sprints, late models (dirt and pavement) and even karts but as far as affordability and fun....NOTHING compares to a D-II Midget

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: RookieMove
10/12/15, 8:52 PM   #13
RookieMove

Looked at the ssmidgets website and like the fairly open rules and good schedule. Would this be a good place to get my feet wet as far as starting out? Also is there payouts for a class like that, if any?

10/12/15, 9:58 PM   #14
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieMove View Post
Looked at the ssmidgets website and like the fairly open rules and good schedule. Would this be a good place to get my feet wet as far as starting out? Also is there payouts for a class like that, if any?
Yes, this would be a good class to start with. This class was built for guys just like you. However, I would still urge you to spend a year in the pits working with someone that is currently running the series.

2 members like this post: davidm, RookieMove
10/13/15, 8:59 PM   #15
xoxide

Rookie,

Its a great class to get your feet wet in. I had no real racing experience as of January. Fast forward to now, and I had won two features and led points all year (up until my dad beat me haha).

They are easy to get the hang of, and everyone there is extremely helpful in answering questions, helping out, and getting you going. As far as spending a year in the pits- I wouldn't waste your time.... These cars are extremely easy to maintain, learn, and race, just go for it. I would recommend an electronic fuel injection motor such as the MWR Ecotec platform built by Mike Wallace of MWR Technology. Its what I as well as 3 others ran all year.

Payouts are extremely good- Typically $300 to win, $175 to 2nd, $150 to 3rd, and so on. I don't THINK you will walk away without atleast $100 back in your pocket. Like I said, I usually walked away with more than I spent to run that weekend.... Sometimes the purse jumped up to $400 as well.

10/15/15, 5:47 AM   #16
zerospeed

It costs me about $1000/night before payout to run my asphalt car. It gets a lot more expensive when things get torn up. I've had the best season on engines I've had in years, after 3 years of bad luck. Kercher Engines is the best service in the business... Go with them you won't regret it.

Brad Wyatt

10/15/15, 8:35 PM   #17
RookieMove

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospeed View Post
It costs me about $1000/night before payout to run my asphalt car. It gets a lot more expensive when things get torn up. I've had the best season on engines I've had in years, after 3 years of bad luck. Kercher Engines is the best service in the business... Go with them you won't regret it.

Brad Wyatt
Cool, thanks for the numbers.

$1000 a night is pretty steep for my budget.

10/16/15, 5:30 PM   #18
98arpy

You could consider the new Dirtcar Pro Sprint that is starting at Plymouth Speedway next year. It will be a true entry level car that is affordable and tightly controlled.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cost of going sprint car racing?