IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 7/21/11 - In Remembrance of Rich
7/24/11, 2:35 PM   #21
Re: 7/21/11 - In Remembrance of Rich
Piedmont Push Trucks

Treecitytornado touched on the fact that Rich was about to make his NASCAR debut that weekend. 2nd hardest thing I have ever had to do at a racetrack was helping to reload our hauler for the trip home from Pocono to Lansing. This was back in the day of 2 rounds of qualifying in Cup and we had missed the show on Friday. Rich and Joey discussed several things that night and during morning practice on Saturday, they hit on a combination that really suited Rich. We were the 2nd fastest qualifier in 2nd Round and were scheduled to start 28th. Rich told us just before he left to hop on the plane and go to Salem that his plan was to win the race and announce his retirement from USAC in Victory Lane. Little did any of us know that it would turn out the way it did. That whole Sunday is still a blur as someone came up with "In Memory Of" decals for all the starters, NASCAR allowed us to withdraw the car and left Rich's spot open on the grid and pace laps, and the Stavola Brothers team had a deck lid size decal made and placed on their car for the race. I know several teams helped us pack and load our equipment and car that morning. It was an extremely hard thing to do for all of us as we were all kind of numb knowing our driver was not going to be back.

Brent Seelman
D-R Racing Enterprises

5 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, Charles Nungester, fish, IndyBound, smith19
7/25/11, 11:34 AM   #22
Downey44

Was'nt a personal friend, but had met him when he was driving the Johnathon Byrd owned midget, that was wrenched and maintained by Bob Lowe. USAC midgets were at Lawrenceburg running and Rich won the feature and I won late model feature. After getting home and looking at the trophy , they had given Rich mine and I had his. The next time I seen him asked him how he liked his trophy from Lawreceburg. We had a quick laugh about it and said we'll exchange them sometime. That time never did come though. It is one of my favorite's in my trophy case! My favorite memory of Rich was at Winchester when he was driving a number 65 sprinter with a bolt on cage. He led for several laps until he had a mechaincal issue. Sure was making the younger guys look bad in a car that was probably older than most of them! R.I.P. Rich

2 members like this post: Seadog, smith19
7/25/11, 1:22 PM   #23
backitin

A sad day for sure when he died. One of the great guys who dying doing what he loved and was one of the best at it. He died being great at his finest, which means he'll be great as long as theres one last sprintcar is still rolling around a track somewhere. RIP and for him thats probly means he's still behind the wheel, cause that was when he was at true peace, like all the great ones.

7/25/11, 2:43 PM   #24
Rapid Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by backitin View Post
A sad day for sure when he died. One of the great guys who dying doing what he loved and was one of the best at it. He died being great at his finest, which means he'll be great as long as theres one last sprintcar is still rolling around a track somewhere. RIP and for him thats probly means he's still behind the wheel, cause that was when he was at true peace, like all the great ones.
My favorite memory of Rich was when the Silver Crown cars ran at Salem in 1988. Rich was driving the Wilke car which had been backed into the wall at the fairgrounds the week before. During practice, it was obvious that they hadn't straightened out the rear axle. His left rear was bouncing down the track like a basketball. I was standing behind his pit when he pulled it in. A.J. Watson said they would load up early. Rich said we didn't pull down here to load it up. He set quick time and led the first thirty laps or so until he couln't drive it anymore. No one could manhandle an ill handling race car like Rich.

2 members like this post: John P Huss, Seadog
7/25/11, 3:11 PM   #25
Seadog

Didn't Bob Frey win that race? I think it was shortened from 100 laps to 50 laps?

7/25/11, 5:08 PM   #26
smith19

remember watching rich running many cars. one that sticks out is the east bay winter nationals in florida in the late 80's driving the streiker's #4 winged sprint car. never new rich ever run a wing before that. he was very fast the entire time he was down there running with the best of them. i think he came from the same mold as hewitt and mcspadden.

7/25/11, 5:11 PM   #27
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Didn't Bob Frey win that race? I think it was shortened from 100 laps to 50 laps?
Yes

7/25/11, 6:30 PM   #28
Rapid Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
You're right. I believe followed by Cicconi and maybe Hewitt. Was shortenened to 50 laps. I remember Hewitt saying how hard it was to get the big cars to brake on that track. Doubt we'll ever see Silver Crown at Salem again.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 7/21/11 - In Remembrance of Rich