IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
illinisprintfan (Offline)
  #11 9/17/15 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by racemaniac:
I'm fine with it!! Good luck to all. What about Casey Shuman in the deal, wasn't he the one who was driving the 21k?
Chad drove the 21K last week at LPS. He looked pretty good in it. Chad is one of my favorite drivers, I hope he gets an opportunity to get in a quality car next season. I like T-Mez too, so it will be fun to watch in him in the 66.
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, Dgentry51, jim goerge
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #12 9/17/15 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn:
Another reason why I just dont get it....

A guy can come in, win 30 races in a season, and be out of a ride by the end of the year in Sprint Car racing.

A guy can win a buttload of money and races in a Late Model, and have the same ride year after year...

Can someone explain this to me? Im just an announcer who doesnt know anything.
And they can run two or more big paying races a week for six to eight months of the year. They also run all over the country Not a three state area and a couple hot spots.

Seems to me there are a lot more owner drivers who've found the long term money sponsor that will stick with them through thick and thin. Some of these guys get all their chassis and motors free. Why? Because they've made a name for themselves and Roush says here, Be our test driver. Win and we sell a bunch of engines at 52g each.

Been that way a long time. Some got their own chassis line etc.

I think its getting harder and harder and there are less and less full time non rent a rides out there But there is still a way if the will is there to find it.

Like I said earlier. Good luck to both in their endeavors.

Charles Nungester
3 Likes: Dgentry51, JDK222, jim goerge
Gene Franckowiak (Offline)
  #13 9/17/15 11:04 AM
Well, as a car owner in both the wing and non-wing divisions I can say that there is more to a team staying together than performance. The team needs to "gel" and have fun while at the same time performing. Dave Ely has been driving my wing car for 13 years now, which is a long time for a team to be together. We all get along and have fun which makes spending the rediculous amount of money it takes to race acceptable. Before Dave, I had quite a few drivers in my car that ran well, but the driver, crew, & owner just never "connected"......all for different reasons but the result was the same.....a driver change. Dave came into my team and everythnig fell nto place and the rest is history.

My ride is not a rent-a-ride and I am free to hire whomever I wish.....but I am having more fun with Dave, our crew, and his family than I could if I had a driver who won 20 races but wasn't "connected" with everyone......afterall shouldn't our hobbies be fun ?
35 Likes: 1BIGracefan, 2fast4u, 65 Push Truck, addictedtodirt, AustinSprinter, bighd0522, Charles Nungester, cope42, davidm, Dgentry51, dirtball, EPSpeed, i love dirt track racing, Indy1808, interpreter66, jim goerge, jjsprt92, K9Racer, kcarm92, Knoke77, luckybuc97, miwingless, oldfan49, oppweld, rapid robert, rclaridge, ronmil, ryan84, SDHill89, Smeents, smith19, spicoli, sprint38racer, Tony74, wallbanger II
jim goerge (Offline)
  #14 9/17/15 12:40 PM
Gene Thank you for telling us from a owners point of view. We have always heard how a team has to gel, no matter how it performs, good bad no matter, if you're not having fun it's time for something to change. I remember when you had 4 motors to borrow, rent , something and only had 2 callers. That still blows my mind WOW
4 Likes: Charles Nungester, davidm, i love dirt track racing, Indy1808
scottyCbus (Offline)
  #15 9/17/15 4:05 PM
Only the car owners and Chad no the real story! So really all of us have no idea what really happened and all we can do is speculate. Let's just wish nothing but the best for both parties!
3 Likes: Dgentry51, jim goerge, rclaridge
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #16 9/17/15 5:02 PM
Figured Id post the release by Amati Racing so the facts as we know them are known.

****FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE****

Sept. 16, 2015
Marion, IL

The Amati Racing, Inc. Team Gets A Jump On 2016

Amati Racing, Inc. announced on Wed. that the team was in the midst of some major changes in an effort finish the 2015 season on a high note and to get a jump on the 2016 season. The team will be going into battle with the AMSOIL USAC National Sprint Car Championship Series at the Terre Haute Action Track on Friday, Sept. 18 for the "Jim Hurtubise / Tony Hulman Classic” and on Saturday Sept. 19 for the $10,000 to win "Haubstadt Hustler" at Tri-State Speedway with some old faces in the Amati Racing / Marion Underground / DRC #66 pit stall again.

The first of many changes was that veteran Crew Chief Donnie Gentry was back to again head up the preparation and race day management of the Amati Racing / Marion Underground / DRC #66. “After taking a short break to get some things taken care of personally I am glad to be back with the Amati Racing, Inc. team. I am ready to go have fun at the track and pick up some hardware" Gentry said. Kyle Rogers will continue in his current capacity with the team as well in the Marion, IL based race shop through the week.

The team also announced the hiring of Thomas Meseraull as full-time driver of the #66. “T-Mez” as he is known to the fans is no stranger to the #66, he filled in for former driver Chad Boespflug for a one race deal that ended in victory at Lincoln Park Speedway earlier this season.

In the last announced change on Wed, the team also announced that their PR/Marketing efforts will again be led by Dan Smith.

Team Owner Shane Wade said, “The changes the team is currently undergoing is an effort to get a jump on 2016 by getting the core group of people together for a few races that I believe can get the job done and more importantly have fun racing moving forward. The Amati Racing, Inc. team is in a very different situation as far as logistics goes when it comes to 410 Sprint Car racing in this area and the AMSOIL USAC National Sprint Car Series. Donnie and Dan are about as local as one can get for this area which allows for the needed amount of communication to take place to play in this game these days and they know how to do each of their jobs very effectively. We have obviously had success with this core group of guys in the very recent past and I expect nothing less moving forward. I have nothing but kind words for Boesplfug and his time in the #66 but for us as a team to do the things that I want to do in 2016, logistics as a team is the key. We have to have the ability to allow the chemistry these guys have shown in the past to be successful to flourish and that will allow us to do what I know we are capable of as a team."

You can follow the team on Facebook at: Amati Racing, Inc. or on Twitter @AmatiRacingInc.

Charles Nungester
3 Likes: Dgentry51, interpreter66, jim goerge
Nate (Offline)
  #17 9/17/15 8:41 PM
Opens up a ride in the 18 for someone right?