IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Salem ???
10/4/14, 10:02 PM   #11
Re: Salem ???
DAD

So you don't have to have a lot of cars to have a good race. All you need is a few really good drivers.

Honest Dad himself

10/5/14, 11:35 AM   #12
Racer12

So with the new asphalt did we get a NTR? How fast in MPH?

Bob

10/5/14, 11:58 AM   #13
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer12 View Post
So with the new asphalt did we get a NTR? How fast in MPH?

Bob
The track was only repaved through turns three and four. Helberg's quick lap was about a full second slower than Gerster's track record at 13.5 seconds. I would say that that had more to do with the frigid temperatures more than the new pavement did.

Most importantly, the new pavement produced side-by-side racing through turns three and four that I have never really seen there before. Cars could get a run going into three, run side-by-side through the entire corner, and complete the pass. It was a great investment with the repaving because it produced an entertaining race. Heck, the stock cars put on a spectacular race too!
Last edited by richie; 10/5/14 at 12:08 PM.

2 members like this post: Joey Woods, speed bump
10/5/14, 1:19 PM   #14
Joey Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
So you don't have to have a lot of cars to have a good race. All you need is a few really good drivers.

Honest Dad himself
Your fortune cookie logic does prove to be correct sometimes however if I was to play Bingo I would prefer to use as many cards as possible.

I love attending races at Salem. It's a really special place with a tremendous amount of history. As already stated the new pavement in three and four produced great racing.

I understand and sympathize with the "wings suck USAC till I die" real race fans for not supporting sprint car races at Salem. As for any of them to have shown their presence at last night's race they would most definitely be in the confession booth this morning down at the Westboro First Southern Holy Baptist Temple of USAC where real Angels don't wear wings confessing their sins for attending such a satanic event.

It's sad and tragic because I cannot think of a another pavement track in the world that produces the "OMG did you see that" moments that sprint cars do at Salem but without those four little magical letters present it's just subpar and not authentic.
Last edited by Joey Woods; 10/5/14 at 2:34 PM.

3 members like this post: fish, mc/rider, monkeyboy
10/5/14, 1:26 PM   #15
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I really hated to miss this race. Flora had a good car count but there was not a lot of passing. Did Salem have a good turnout of fans?

10/5/14, 2:01 PM   #16
1BIGracefan

It wasn't horrible like has been stated above. Racing in 3 & 4 was side by side in both divisions. I heard them say that the transition from the banking onto the front straight was tricky for the Sprint Cars.

All I know is that I'll go back.

TWO race tracks in this state make my heart jump into my throat Salem and Terre Haute. They are special places that I truly enjoy going to whenever I get the chance to.

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Joey Woods, ronmil
10/5/14, 8:20 PM   #17
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Great post !

1 member likes this post: Puppy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Salem ???