IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > more midgets at speedrome
6/2/09, 2:02 AM   #1
more midgets at speedrome
bobO

i was wondering why more of the pavement midgets are not coming out for the show,s at the speedrome any of your input would be helpful , fore those of you that have thank,s for putting on a great show

6/2/09, 6:33 AM   #2
Re: more midgets at speedrome
Tony Barhorst

Bob,

We had 25 for the first show, and 11 for the second...There are a variety of factors. We know that some of it is the economy...some of it is there was a flurry of pavement races from Indy 500 week through last week to choose from.
One car owner has to have surgery..

One driver went to a sprint car race...the ironic thing is..the pay went up this week, and the car count dropped more than 50%. That is a message that other promoters get also.

That being said..car counts in other pavement midget events have been down for years..the 25 we had in week one was a better count than most.The next car count could be way up..thats the rollercoaster of today's economy.

Sunday at the Speedrome was still a very interesting event. The more midget racing the better..The USAC regional shows and our shows have not stepped on each other one bit. They really help get the names out of the fine talent involved.

It has been interesting to have Don Kenyon and Eric Bunn at our events..Good to discuss the state of midget racing with them.

Best,
Tony Barhorst
rumbleseries.com
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 6/2/09 at 10:57 AM.

6/2/09, 7:09 AM   #3
Dyno Don

Couldn't have anything to do with a little event called The Knoxville Nationals on Sat. night?

6/2/09, 11:13 AM   #4
Tony Barhorst

Dyno,

There was only one team at Knoxville that possibly would run Don Kenyon's or my series. They would like to run with us..but they are busy with multiple other events..sprints...ARCA..Trucks..

We had Cris Lamb run really well in a FOCUS Car the first week..they loved running the Speedrome and finished
8th...They towed overnight out of Greensboro, NC...survived flat tires on the hauler to make it.

BUT..they had mechanical problems last week, and could not make it this round.

I upped the purse this time, lowered the entry...there is no license fee...fans are allowed to go out to the car...or bar..

But..we are not the first series to have a low car count.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Don't let the car count fool you though...It was still an interesting event with these fine teams and personalities.
We salute them.

Rumble Series
Indianapolis Speedrome ∙ Sunday, May 31, 2009

RESULTS

Rumble Series Midgets

Qualifying – 1. Jeremy Warren, 57, Ultimate Welding, 11.983 seconds; 2. Kyle Hamilton, 33, Hamilton, 12.001; 3. Billy Wease, 99, Burrow, 12.144; 4. Aaron Pierce, 73, Ellis, 12.355; 5. Adam Schuyler, 56, Schuyler, 12.507; 6. Travis Young, 28W, Young, 12.508; 7. Sondi Eden, 61, Hayworth, 12.577; 8. Dave Fuhrman, 32, Fuhrman, 12.989; 9. Ed Hair, 29, Hair, 13.029; 10. A.J. Lesiecki, 58, Lesiecki, 13.051; 11. Mike Schenker, 3, Fuhrman, 13.080.

Dash (4 laps) – Pierce, Wease, Hamilton, Warren.

First heat (8 laps) – Warren, Wease, Eden, Schuyler, Hair, Schenker.

Second heat (8 laps) – Hamilton, Young, Pierce, Lesiecki, Fuhrman.

Feature (75 laps) – 1. Kyle Hamilton; 2. Jeremy Warren; 3. Billy Wease; 4. Adam Schuyler; 5. A.J. Lesiecki; 6. Dave Fuhrman; 7. Mike Schenker; 8. Sondi Eden; 9. Travis Young; 10. Ed Hair; 11. Aaron Pierce. Lap leaders: Lesiecki 1-3, Eden 4-8, Hamilton 9-75.
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 6/2/09 at 11:19 AM.

6/2/09, 2:43 PM   #5
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
Dyno,

There was only one team at Knoxville that possibly would run Don Kenyon's or my series. They would like to run with us..but they are busy with multiple other events..sprints...ARCA..Trucks..

We had Cris Lamb run really well in a FOCUS Car the first week..they loved running the Speedrome and finished
8th...They towed overnight out of Greensboro, NC...survived flat tires on the hauler to make it.

BUT..they had mechanical problems last week, and could not make it this round.

I upped the purse this time, lowered the entry...there is no license fee...fans are allowed to go out to the car...or bar..

But..we are not the first series to have a low car count.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Don't let the car count fool you though...It was still an interesting event with these fine teams and personalities.
We salute them.

Rumble Series
Indianapolis Speedrome ∙ Sunday, May 31, 2009

RESULTS

Rumble Series Midgets

Qualifying – 1. Jeremy Warren, 57, Ultimate Welding, 11.983 seconds; 2. Kyle Hamilton, 33, Hamilton, 12.001; 3. Billy Wease, 99, Burrow, 12.144; 4. Aaron Pierce, 73, Ellis, 12.355; 5. Adam Schuyler, 56, Schuyler, 12.507; 6. Travis Young, 28W, Young, 12.508; 7. Sondi Eden, 61, Hayworth, 12.577; 8. Dave Fuhrman, 32, Fuhrman, 12.989; 9. Ed Hair, 29, Hair, 13.029; 10. A.J. Lesiecki, 58, Lesiecki, 13.051; 11. Mike Schenker, 3, Fuhrman, 13.080.

Dash (4 laps) – Pierce, Wease, Hamilton, Warren.

First heat (8 laps) – Warren, Wease, Eden, Schuyler, Hair, Schenker.

Second heat (8 laps) – Hamilton, Young, Pierce, Lesiecki, Fuhrman.

Feature (75 laps) – 1. Kyle Hamilton; 2. Jeremy Warren; 3. Billy Wease; 4. Adam Schuyler; 5. A.J. Lesiecki; 6. Dave Fuhrman; 7. Mike Schenker; 8. Sondi Eden; 9. Travis Young; 10. Ed Hair; 11. Aaron Pierce. Lap leaders: Lesiecki 1-3, Eden 4-8, Hamilton 9-75.
I was just trying to give you a good excuse as to why the car count was low.

But you seem to have such an inferiorority complex, that you have to make excuses for everything.
Face it, Speedrome does not have a stellar reputation when it comes to open wheel racing.
I believe you are fighting an up hill battle, but I admire you for trying.

6/2/09, 2:56 PM   #6
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 51

I put together & uploaded a youtube video (10 min.) of some clips I shot Sunday at the Rumble Series event. Included are the 2nd heat (won by Kyle Hamilton), highlights from the feature (won by Kyle), and Kyle leaving the scales in the Tech garage after the race.

Overall it was an enjoyable day at the Speedrome, just could have used a few more midget cars & fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ-u7HX_cWk

Anyone know how the two Kart drivers are that took the wild ride in turn 4, with one driver (and his Kart) being launched over the wall and into the area between the wall & the catch fence. Since the ambulance did not leave immediately after loading up the first driver, I assume it was nothing too serious. Scary accident though.

6/2/09, 2:57 PM   #7
wbr

Tony,
Thank you for getting midgets back on track at the speedrome. If usac had a national show on the schedule, you would have 40-50 midgets prior to the race date I would bet.

We almost drove down to watch Sunday, but the coin flip went to kokomo to watch Hunter run.

We no longer have any midgets but would be interested in loaning out our mechanics and driver to the right car owner for the Aug. 30th races.

Good luck to your series and the competitors!!!

6/2/09, 3:20 PM   #8
racerdog45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Don View Post
I was just trying to give you a good excuse as to why the car count was low.

But you seem to have such an inferiorority complex, that you have to make excuses for everything.
Face it, Speedrome does not have a stellar reputation when it comes to open wheel racing.
I believe you are fighting an up hill battle, but I admire you for trying.

The Speedrome over the years has a long and outstanding tradition of Midget racing that was tarnished by basically one group of people. Mr. Barhorst has a good rep as a promotor overall and if anybody can make this work it'll be him and let's face it, he's probally the ONLY person willing to try. He works hard and actually PROMOTES his events which is why he still doing it after all this time....... Give it time and support it the best you can and watch it grow.

Joe Cowin

6/2/09, 7:28 PM   #9
Tony Barhorst

Don,

I don't need your excuse, and didn't take it. I posted the facts ...no excuses here.

You posted about " that Little Event, Knoxville"...well they had 22 cars. We don't expect any of those teams..nor do they show up at DK's events. Your comment was not an excuse..or even funny..or entertaining.

Like I said...we are not the first to have a low car count. Take a look around. There is no one to blame.

If this Speedrome deal doesn't work out...well...it's not the end of the world..but it will be one less place to race..to sell tires and midget cars..so..no one wins. We are giving it a good shot..but if it isn't meant to be..I come from a sports/entertainment background..and will promote something people want.

The facts are..if race teams want to compete for more $$$...they should respond if they ever want to make more money like they had a chance to Sunday. If we would have had a good turnout...maybe other promoters see that it works. I paid more than similar events. Just a suggestion...not an excuse.

People may wonder why am I promoting this?...It's because it is what I do..it's my job, and I need to work like everyone else. It is an opportunity that is open...in the Capitol of Racing. Not trying to hurt anyone...In fact..the more midget racing that is out there can only help all in the business of midget racing.

All is not grim..we had a good time at the event..many fine teams there. Kyle Hamilton beat some pretty good names.
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 6/2/09 at 7:49 PM.

6/2/09, 8:16 PM   #10
cabjr111

Tony I asked about the WOMS sanction on another post. I thought that may have been the reason for the lower car count. For me it really didn't make any difference because The Speedrome is ten minutes from my house and I don't miss any midget races there. I think the 75 lap race made it interesting because about lap 70 the tires went away and the drivers had to make adjustments accordingly. I liked the longer race for that reason and thought Kyle Hamilton drove a great race.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > more midgets at speedrome