IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chilibowl 2014
4/15/13, 5:57 PM   #1
Chilibowl 2014
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

Say someone had a car available for the chilibowl in 2014. What would it take for someone with 15 years of racing experience to get behind the wheel? I'm not talking rental, im talking a ride. What kind of funding? Hypothetical speaking of course

4/15/13, 8:55 PM   #2
Re: Chilibowl 2014
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Dietrich View Post
.............. I'm not talking rental, im talking a ride. What kind of funding?.........
Not to be split hairs, but what is the difference from showing up to the Chilli Bowl with a Sponsor to fund a ride, and showing up with a check book to rent a ride?

Isn't it six of one, half a dozen of another?

4/15/13, 9:32 PM   #3
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

I guess nothing, but to me renting a ride is like buying it. Being in the car because you can afford it and someone else can't. Whereas funding would be like Ill help with tires, fuel, entry. I don't know depends if your a glass half full or half empty kinda person. Whether it's taken as an opportunity or a "paid favor", like so many rides seem to be now-a-days.

4/15/13, 9:52 PM   #4
lilrim

Out of the 280+ entry's. I bet their is less than a dozen drivers that just have to show up with a seat and helmet bag..#truth #hiredguns

Posted via Mobile Device

4/15/13, 11:15 PM   #5
kstudley57

I own my car and the cheapest I've ever done the week is $2k. Motel room is $650ish for the 8 days, methanol is $150, diesel down and back total is $400, entry $150, a couple hundred for food for the 8 days then a hundred for beer and you're chili bowl ready... Worth every penny. That's conservative... I budget $3k and what I come home with is a bonus.

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: luckybuc97, mtek56
4/15/13, 11:17 PM   #6
az02

Only $100 for beer?

Posted via Mobile Device

4/16/13, 12:34 AM   #7
KMS2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Not to be split hairs, but what is the difference from showing up to the Chilli Bowl with a Sponsor to fund a ride, and showing up with a check book to rent a ride?

Isn't it six of one, half a dozen of another?
I don't want to highjack this thread, but I have always said the same thing as Jonr. What is the difference between getting sponsors and taking that money to run a car versus just having the money and wanting to run a car? Not many rides out there available without bringing funding, especially in midgets. I don't think its a bad thing, I just hate when people talk of drivers "buying" rides. Even people who own there own cars don't race for free! They are spending their own money or sponsors money so in essence they have "bought" their ride.

kstudley is right on with cost. Figure about $3K with own car or about $7K for a "rental". Neither includes damages.

4/16/13, 2:34 PM   #8
darnall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrim View Post
Out of the 280+ entry's. I bet their is less than a dozen drivers that just have to show up with a seat and helmet bag..#truth #hiredguns

Posted via Mobile Device
Hit the nail on the head there...Joe Loyet puts guys in his/Brads 3-4 extra cars that he thinks can win the deal...he wants a driller that bad...He is for sure the exception, not the rule. You would be amazed if you knew how many big time successful open wheel racers were renting rides for the Chilibowl.

I also agree that there really is no difference in renting a ride versus spending your own money or sponsor money to own your own ride. And if for some reason ride renting quit happening at the Chilibowl there wouldn't be enough cars entered to have more than one full qualifying night.

1 member likes this post: rachasin
4/16/13, 3:13 PM   #9
mortboyz

Personally, I'd save your money and find a deal for 5 nights at Little Belleville instead.....

4 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, darnall, fasster23, Mud Packer
4/16/13, 4:51 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Rent and Expenses 7g

1 in 280 chance in winning 10g.

MUST BE ABOUT FUN is all I can say.

3 members like this post: 7xCoop, PatrickMead#13, rachasin
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chilibowl 2014