IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Group qualifying
9/19/16, 12:50 PM   #1
Group qualifying
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Just curious; I have heard mainly negative comments about the group qualifying format used at the Haubstadt Hustler, as well as at other events, and I tend to agree with them. I prefer seeing one car at a time, getting to see how each car and driver performs. That is not always possible when cars qualify in groups, and often drivers get hung up behind a slower car and that can affect an entire group. I am not creating a poll, but hope to see some opinions expressed.

5 members like this post: dctracy79, jdull99, Midget 89, rdzsprint, tirespinner
9/19/16, 1:36 PM   #2
kcarm92

With group qualify you are only with your heat so dosnt matter if track goes away.unlike single car qualify where track as a change so it luck of the draw as to when you go kinda of a better deal unless you get a loaded group and that happens

9/19/16, 1:57 PM   #3
JDK222

When you hot lap and qualify at the same you can't make changes to the car.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/19/16, 2:07 PM   #4
kcarm92

Same for everyone in that group makes you learn your setup a little better or driver has to compensate for it

3 members like this post: babcock14d, dustbowl, jim goerge
9/19/16, 2:26 PM   #5
dustbowl

Overall it's a better deal. The loaded heat race scenario happens once In a while, but beats a blind draw for heat race starting position, and certainly beats the many occasions where a late pill draw can kill your chances at qualifying decent. Most forms of sprint cars are moving to group qual type formats. The all stars do single car, but it's sectioned out against your heat race group. Mowa does something similar. The outlaws if they have enough cars split the field in half so you're qualifying against your half of when you went out.

9/19/16, 3:02 PM   #6
Re: Group qualifying
farriswheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK222 View Post
When you hot lap and qualify at the same you can't make changes to the car.
With as much as the track typically changes between hot laps and qualifying, the chances of hitting the setup right for either, are about the same IMO.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, kcarm92
9/19/16, 3:42 PM   #7
treecitytornado

Group Qualifying is better than No Qualifying for sure! It does get frustrating when you try to position yourself to get clean laps and still catch someone or the track isn't how you set-up for. That's just part of it though.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, farriswheel, jim goerge
9/19/16, 3:45 PM   #8
MIracing

I don't think anyone should ever have to pass a car in qualifying.

I saw 2 car qualifying at a race this year. I liked that as it cut time in half but still gave you a one car feel. The fastest car happened to qualify with one of the slowest. he almost ran him down. Overall the best of both worlds in my opinion.

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, flagboy55, jdull99, ronmil, trannyman
9/19/16, 10:26 PM   #9
Re: Group qualifying
ISF

I don't like group qualifying. Period.

6 members like this post: Bill Angel, captrat, rdzsprint, spicoli, tirespinner, tj39
9/20/16, 12:01 AM   #10
KMS2683

I dont like qualifying. I like the two heat format with or without passing points. I think too much weight is put into qualifying. To be honest, when I go to a race I want to see racing. One car running by itself is not racing. I know I am in the minority, but I think single car qualfying takes too long and luck of the draw is everything.

They use group qualifying at one of our micro tracks and it works great. Plus with group qualifying you get 3 or 4 laps to set a time rather than 2.

4 members like this post: 3R, billw, farriswheel, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Group qualifying