IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Yeah Tony...
6/26/16, 6:38 PM   #1
Yeah Tony...
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

Smoke parks it in Victory Lane at Sonoma, with a few extra dents then he started with and one hell of a last lap. Good to see our boy Happy.

6/26/16, 6:41 PM   #2
Re: Yeah Tony...
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Ssssssssssssssmoke

2 members like this post: Midget 89, rapid robert
6/26/16, 6:44 PM   #3
bojo20

Big win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 member likes this post: Midget 89
6/26/16, 7:02 PM   #4
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

He did what winners do,he won

3 members like this post: Midget 89, rapid robert, TQ29m
6/26/16, 11:53 PM   #5
jleme154

On to the chase!

1 member likes this post: Midget 89
6/27/16, 2:43 PM   #6
Midget 89

Making the chase will be the frosting on the cake of his final season. He deserves it.

6/27/16, 10:39 PM   #7
Stevensville Mike

I'll put on my "Third Party" hat here and chime in. Anyone else want to jump in?

This is the best thing for NASCAR. They now have a heart strings story to pursue down the stretch for their reporters during the way too long pre-race shows. The caution for a spring rubber debris came at the PERFECT time to get Stewart the win and into The Chase in his final season. Like that piece needed a true caution to be waved.

Just like Kyle Busch last year, he can now possibly win it all by running 3/4 or 2/3 of the season. But that is the formula by which the champion could be determined.

Well played, NASCAR. Well scripted. Great entertainment. in any other road racing series, the win would have been yanked due to the last lap/last corner shenanigans. But let's not confuse NASCAR with racing.

It is what it is. Take it how you want to see it.

4 members like this post: FALCONEDDIE, interpreter66, monkeyboy, team3521
6/27/16, 11:01 PM   #8
MIracing

Will nascar and its fans let this be a feel good story? Jeff Gordon going out on top would have been a feel good story and didn't happen. I don't think a majority of fans care what Stewart does. There is a lot of hate and uncertainty that surrounds him. I think for dirt and sprint car fans we all want to see him go out on top. But hey Ray Lewis can be loved and go out a winner why not Smoke.

1 member likes this post: dctracy79
6/28/16, 2:03 PM   #9
flatout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
I'll put on my "Third Party" hat here and chime in. Anyone else want to jump in?

This is the best thing for NASCAR. They now have a heart strings story to pursue down the stretch for their reporters during the way too long pre-race shows. The caution for a spring rubber debris came at the PERFECT time to get Stewart the win and into The Chase in his final season. Like that piece needed a true caution to be waved.

Just like Kyle Busch last year, he can now possibly win it all by running 3/4 or 2/3 of the season. But that is the formula by which the champion could be determined.

Well played, NASCAR. Well scripted. Great entertainment. in any other road racing series, the win would have been yanked due to the last lap/last corner shenanigans. But let's not confuse NASCAR with racing.

It is what it is. Take it how you want to see it.
Have you watched British Touring Cars or Australian Supercars? Both of those are full contact racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIracing View Post
Will nascar and its fans let this be a feel good story? Jeff Gordon going out on top would have been a feel good story and didn't happen. I don't think a majority of fans care what Stewart does. There is a lot of hate and uncertainty that surrounds him. I think for dirt and sprint car fans we all want to see him go out on top. But hey Ray Lewis can be loved and go out a winner why not Smoke.
Really? Comparing Tony to Ray Rice is out of line.

Edit....meant to say Ray Lewis
Last edited by flatout; 6/28/16 at 7:13 PM.

6/28/16, 3:46 PM   #10
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout View Post
Have you watched British Touring Cars or Australian Supercars? Both of those are full contact racing.
Okay. Okay. I'll meet you half way here, bud. I wasn't all inclusive with my earlier post.

The BTCC does let them biff and barge. I will say that much. It is closer to NASCAR in rules than any other touring car series. However, in the past decade, I cannot recall a driver punting another on the last corner and getting the win.

The Aussie V8 Supercars, now the Virgin Australia Supercar Series..... I watch them religiously Each round along with quals, or "qually" as they sat in Oz. No way do they let these guys get away with punting and shoving. In fact, their pit road rules are probably the most strict of all. "Unsafe releases" are the most ticketed items. You cannot drive side by side through the pit lane, or even touch, for that matter.

They, the DTM, WTCC, WEC, even IMSA do not allow the bump and run. Maybe a little hip and shoulder, but decent/heavy contact or pushing..... no way.

Nonetheless, I agree - point made with respect to your post. The BTCC is a little reckless at times. But I also cannot recall them throwing out the Safety Car for a small piece of debris, such as NASCAR, to get a Jason Plato back to the front. Usually when they deploy the Safety Car it is for getting a car that is buried out of a tyre stack or one sitting on the track with only three wheels left on it.

I do not wish to argue any point here, however I do stand firm that NASCAR can manipulate races and outcomes more than anyone, and they did so this past Sunday. They got what they want now. It is what it is and a fan of that series should always know what to expect.

Thanks for listening, flatout. Good point you made.

1 member likes this post: flatout
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Yeah Tony...