IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Anywhere, Anything
1/11/18, 10:12 AM   #1
Anywhere, Anything
Backitin

Say you won a contest. You can pick any venue in the world and do anything, racing or not all expense's paid what would it be ?
For me I'd go to Kokomo. Just me my son and maybe one or two others. There would be a handful of race ready 410's and I'd run laps. It would be the most exhilarating and scary day of my life, then I could die happy. I once had the car, the engine on a stand but suffered a pretty severe head injury before it all came together. Poof all gone.
My only regret is I never got to turn laps in a nonwing car. It pisses me off, lol.

1/11/18, 2:02 PM   #2
badcoupe

Awesome dream! Maybe try going to Kruseman’s and get you some laps in.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
1/11/18, 7:59 PM   #3
Re: Anywhere, Anything
speed bump

Done that three years ago ....Worth the money ...A friend & I flew out from Indiana and took the 100 lap class .....50 laps in Midget ..50 Laps in Sprinter ....He really took time with us and watered the track twice ...He tells you to stand on it and dont be a ***** ...Invited us to his shop the next day ...I went ..excellent family & had 5 more Midgets there & 5 sprinters ...Will do again ....

6 members like this post: Backitin, chrismattlin, luckybuc97, oldfan49, superstock30, turn4
1/11/18, 9:10 PM   #4
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Me at the Outer Limits Sprint Car School in up state New York. 25 laps in a sprinter was an eye opening experience!

1/12/18, 9:28 AM   #5
davidm

My Anywhere, Anything event would be getting to drive a Silver Crown car on a dirt mile. I want to know what it feels like to hold that throttle open down those long straights, get to the turn break and set the car into a drift and nail the throttle again. Put a fast smooth lap down in one of those beauties would put a smile on my face I'd never lose.

1/12/18, 10:51 AM   #6
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Me at the Outer Limits Sprint Car School in up state New York. 25 laps in a sprinter was an eye opening experience!

Must have been great, glad you got to do it. I didn't know that was even a possibility in upstate NY. I'm sure if I searched out I would have found it eventually.
My key was winning a contest being that my income is really sad. After my neck was broke I have been relying on ssd. Funny thing is on a good day I can do anything, maybe better then ever but then I pay for it physically for days afterward.
Everyone loves different things, I have no idea why Sprintcars are so ingrained in my soul. Maybe seeing Jan O and feeling and smelling his sprinter after a race, that car and the aurora around Jan. He was the most different soul when racing was at its most diverse. That hippy and his brothers hat, I've never forgot the feeling.

1/12/18, 1:42 PM   #7
davidm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
Must have been great, glad you got to do it. I didn't know that was even a possibility in upstate NY. I'm sure if I searched out I would have found it eventually.
My key was winning a contest being that my income is really sad. After my neck was broke I have been relying on ssd. Funny thing is on a good day I can do anything, maybe better then ever but then I pay for it physically for days afterward.
Everyone loves different things, I have no idea why Sprintcars are so ingrained in my soul. Maybe seeing Jan O and feeling and smelling his sprinter after a race, that car and the aurora around Jan. He was the most different soul when racing was at its most diverse. That hippy and his brothers hat, I've never forgot the feeling.
I did that in September on 1993. A couple guys who race with the Empire Sprints put it on. I read about it in Open Wheel magazine and just had to give it a try.

1/12/18, 2:25 PM   #8
sprntr

My pick would be the F1 race in Monaco.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, chrismattlin, nathans1012
1/12/18, 2:28 PM   #9
Backitin

Thought maybe it was awhile ago by the body work on the car.
Funny thing is I was never a big fan of sprintcars when I was growing up. We had 1350lb bigblock mods with some I know for a fact that had over 2000 hp. Every car was unique. The mods were averaging over 121mph and they always started the fast guys in the rear,some guys would be racing in t-shirts, open faced helmet, bandana with a cigar in there mouth. We used to wait for the sprints to come out so we could hit the food stands and such. Once the factory cookie cutters took over due to rules and a influx of cocaine money I knew it was all over for us and the most amazing time in modified racing. Now days couldn't pay me enuff to go over the hill and watch the modern mods play bumper cars.

1/12/18, 4:42 PM   #10
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post

I never heard of that deal when it was going on. After the fact I became friends with one of the guys that put that on, he atually raced with the Sprint Cars of New England for a bit. If that is the one that I am thinking of, it went out of business after a customer had a heart attack in the car. I thought it was an urban legend until I met the guy who put it on.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Anywhere, Anything