IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cage Lights
12/10/16, 5:15 PM   #41
Re: Cage Lights
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniSprint19 View Post
And if we really want to get down to it the neck collar or donut whatever you want to call it has saved more lives then the hans has.
Proof please...of this and your other "facts".
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, Mattmac05
12/10/16, 6:12 PM   #42
hoscalecody

After seeing it in person today i think it should be only Yellow and red flag and tone down the brightness of it not all the way where you barely can see it but it just seemed to bright, i'm all for it unless it's going to show when it's green or show positions. Also I want to point out I do not race with USAC but hope to in a year or two just giving my feedback as a racer.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 12/10/16 at 6:16 PM.

4 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, Will Shunk
12/10/16, 6:33 PM   #43
TheRoadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
Proof please...of this and your other "facts".
How long have neckbraces been out? How long the hans been out? It's pretty simple conclusion if you know anything at all! I mean how long have people been walking away from the nasty crashes with the neck brace and and waking away alot longer then they have been walking away with a hans! The hans has saved lives to but not nearly as many as the neckbrace!
Last edited by TheRoadrunner; 12/10/16 at 6:36 PM.

12/10/16, 7:11 PM   #44
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

To quote Rev. Dr. Todd F. Eklof: "We can't help being dumb, but stupidity takes practice."

12/10/16, 7:24 PM   #45
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayDrifter View Post
To quote Rev. Dr. Todd F. Eklof: "We can't help being dumb, but stupidity takes practice."
The personal attacks on here are getting more and more like Hoseheads every day.

4 members like this post: captrat, hoscalecody, jim goerge, sp6967
12/10/16, 7:34 PM   #46
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
The personal attacks on here are getting more and more like Hoseheads every day.
so true

12/10/16, 8:02 PM   #47
Jonr

Quote:
If I had to go I'd want to go doing what I love and spend ever hard dime of my money on racing like I do.
To everyone on IOW, please quit saying this. It is the dumbest thing in the world. I watched both of my parents take their last breath's on this earth. There is nothing in the world more definite and more final than a person's last breath. Do not cheapen it by saying stupid things like this.

Think back to the fatalities that we have seen in racing. Do we really think any of the drivers were happy when they were wrecking? Do we think any of them were not scared when the big impact came? What about the poor soul's that have died in fires? Could there be anything worse than being trapped in a car on fire? Wanting to get out but not able? Knowing that every second that went by was probably another second closer to your death? For the sake of all that have lost their lives in racing, do not tarnish their legacy by saying something stupid.
Last edited by Jonr; 12/10/16 at 8:03 PM.

12/10/16, 9:41 PM   #48
jim goerge

Quote:
If I had to go I'd want to go doing what I love and spend ever hard dime of my money on racing like I do.
Nobody wants anybody to go, doing what they love or not period

2 members like this post: ModernDayDrifter, PIT CART
12/10/16, 9:45 PM   #49
BeerCloud

This to me is an innovation as it evolves will look quite different in years to come. Kinda like roll bars to bolt on cages to welded on cages etc... I love the thought behind it.

But I was wondering if this could possibly be an ignition source for dripping fuel from the tank when a car is upside down? Judging by the picture, with a car upside down the lights would be approx 6" above the puddle of fuel on the ground with the vapors rising upwards to the light unit. Per wikipedia "Since methanol vapor is heavier than air, it will linger close to the ground or in a pit unless there is good ventilation, and if the concentration of methanol is above 6.7% in air it can be lit by a spark and will explode above 54 F / 12 C".

I'm guessing these things are sealed units. What is in place to make sure these things aren't broke open in a crash exposing possible ignition sources.(bulbs, circuit board power source, shorts etc). Is there some sort of automatic power shut off switch build into it? A gyro type roll over switch or something?

Just a couple of questions I was thinking about. Maybe its not a concern idk. But i thought it was worth bring up.

Speedsme61x wrote:
Quote:
Make the transponder have red LED lights in it. Make it so it is slim, less than the width of the cage and install it on the right front up right post angled towards the driver. With technology now days it would only have to be 2"-3" tall. They come on when the red switch from the track is turned on. Get with the companies making the transponders.
+1

3 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART, Will Shunk
12/10/16, 10:27 PM   #50
flagboy55

I have to respectfully disagree with you johnr and just as a validation of some folks feeling about "going out" a certain way, go to the players tribune and read the article Jed Ortmyer wrote, retired NHL hockey player. You might look at it differently.
As far as the lights themselves, I see no need for the greens, I think it's a distraction but I love the idea of the yellow in the cockpit. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing how it works

1 member likes this post:
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cage Lights