IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Duquion midget race March 15th
2/13/15, 11:11 PM   #21
ernart3

I find it funny that last race at duquoin you guys didn't allow national midgets and that was fine but if they don't allow chain drive cars it's wrong lol. The way I understand this guy is trying to run mini sprints and midgets in two classes. The real only reason a midget wouldn't wanna run with mini sprints is because the mini sprints sometimes run such a slow pace under caution that it's hard for midgets to run that slow with no clutch and transmission.

7 members like this post: DAD, fish, Geoff Kaiser, luckybuc97, microsprint15, MKTQ17, red70racer
2/13/15, 11:46 PM   #22
PatrickMead#13

I'm trying to figure out this going too slow with a lightning sprint situation. I'm usually having to slip the clutch / ride the crap out of my brakes with my car running against chain or shaft driven cars. When did this start becoming a new issue? Most the issue is the driver getting fancy on trying to get a holeshot going green. If only anyone outside my helmet could only hear the expletive bleeps going on within it on the last pace lap prior taking the green flag. 😁
Last edited by PatrickMead#13; 2/13/15 at 11:58 PM.

2/13/15, 11:56 PM   #23
red70racer

Patrick
We had an issue with the pace being too slow when a 1000 cc car was pacing the field, with the direct drive we cannot slip the clutch
So it's on the brakes all the way around under yellow
Plus we cannot pull the clutch in to clean it out before we go green
It makes for a terrible start for the direct drive cars
Of course if the officials would have lined things up in a timely manner it might not have been as big of an issue
We think on a larger track it might not be an issue at all
Jeff Palazzolo

2/14/15, 12:05 AM   #24
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by red70racer View Post
Patrick
We had an issue with the pace being too slow when a 1000 cc car was pacing the field, with the direct drive we cannot slip the clutch
So it's on the brakes all the way around under yellow
Plus we cannot pull the clutch in to clean it out before we go green
It makes for a terrible start for the direct drive cars
Of course if the officials would have lined things up in a timely manner it might not have been as big of an issue
We think on a larger track it might not be an issue at all
Jeff Palazzolo
I'll agree completely there. Getting the field lined up and going quickly could've been better no doubt. As far as the clutch, not gonna fib.. I was one of the ones clearing out the pipes before the green.... 😉

2/14/15, 1:50 AM   #25
Re: Duquion midget race March 15th
red70racer

Haha, I have no problems with you clearing the pipes, don't blame you
We burned the brakes out of our car because one of the Kenyon cars just had to go so slow, it ruined our night. It is what it is, I was hoping we could just pick the pace up a little.

2/14/15, 2:47 AM   #26
PatrickMead#13

Stinks to hear about the brakes. My night was done after getting punted the 1st lap of the semi and being bumped on the front end by an innocent bystander with nowhere to go. I agree about the pace. I know someone got a few bumps from me because of the pace going on. Didn't mean to, but the brakes only can do so much.

1 member likes this post: red70racer
2/14/15, 10:13 AM   #27
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Montpelier has a rule that chain-drive cars have to keep pace with the shafties or they go to the back (I would assume they would apply that rule to Kenyons as well). Of course, that's hard to gauge when a moto-mill is on point, but if you have an astute observer on the "race-control" side of the Raceceiver frequency, a simple "pick it up" command should make it a non-issue.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: red70racer
2/14/15, 10:24 AM   #28
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I might add that Montpelier's "All Skate" philosophy brings together everything from Top-tier (Esslinger, Fontana) and older (Gaerte, Brayton) National, to Stock-motor (Focus, Ecotec, Honda) to 1000cc and up Chain and Kenyon Midgets, and I've not heard a single complaint from anyone.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 2/14/15 at 1:31 PM. Reason: spelign :)

2 members like this post: DAD, Tom23
2/14/15, 1:14 PM   #29
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
I might add that Montpelier's "All Skate" philosophy brings together everything from Top-tier (Esslinger, Fontana) and older (Gaerte, Brayton) National, to Stock-motor (Focus, Ecotec, Honda) to 1000cc and up Chain and Kenyon Midgets, and I've not heard a single compliant from anyone.
My apologies for my recent rant. My apologies also for the lite foot pace setters. They apparently lacked knowledge about the difference in cars and maybe a little racing curtsey also. I have heard of one cycle power car driver say that if he was on the pole that he would set the pace at his own speed. This does not sound like a very knowledgeable or considerate race driver to me. Had I been in a shaft drive car using my 20>20 hind site I would have just got out of line and demonstrated a more suitable pace speed. When stopped I would attempt to explain to an official what the problem was.

I would like to see these cars race together. Like in any other kind of racing we have several cars and drivers that would have no problem racing in a National Midget race indoors and being competitive, (we were just a tick over 10 second laps last week on our DAQ). We are also blessed with other combinations of cars and drivers that aren't quite ready for "Prime Time".

We wish you guys good luck in the race on the 15th, and hope you pull a bunch of cars. This is your time to shine.

Honest Dad himself

2/14/15, 2:05 PM   #30
microsprint15

My 6 year old was running 11.0-11.2's in the Junior Sprint as a comparison also. Unfortunately our race was cut from 25, to 11 laps for no apparent reason. That reason alone will make it extremely difficult for me to ever attend another race there...

1 member likes this post: DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Duquion midget race March 15th