IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Regional speedways all facing major challenges
8/26/14, 9:32 PM   #11
Re: Regional speedways all facing major challenges
Flatrightrear

All good points, racer-x, but you're not being PC enough by telling the truth.

8/26/14, 9:36 PM   #12
old timer

Schools now open a month early and close a couple weeks later this means your up against high school sports. I know the crowds at Bloomington on regular shows has been small this summer. I don't have any answers or any ideas that are worth printing. I do know that Paragon and Putnamville seem to have good crowds.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/27/14, 8:39 AM   #13
Stevensville Mike

I agree that all are good points here. One more thing I am going to interject is TV coverage. Back in the 80s, USAC got a lot of coverage out of Thursday Night Thunder and subsequently Saturday Night Thunder. In the early to mid 90s, TNN had the Slick 50 Sprint Car World Series from Manazanita and then Canyon Raceway for three years airing over the Winter months. This gave sprint cars a LOT of air time and hooked in a bunch of fans, I am guessing.

Now, 20 some odd years later, with the exception of the WoO Sprints tape delayed on the old Outdoor Channel 7-8 years ago, which, in my opinion, was GREAT, this well has run dry. There is nothing out there to reel new fans in. Sure, you have the end of the year stuff at the Dirt Track at Charlotte, but there is no Knoxville Nationals or Chili Bowl live coverage anymore, no Thunder, no Winter series, etc.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge, team3521
8/27/14, 9:00 AM   #14
SWScaleChassis

I was thinking about this this morning again, and as much as I said it was up to the fans to co-promote, I think it is equally up to any supporters and sponsors of a track, driver, etc.

We all see the banners, billlboards, etc with the local business that advertise there. Wether or not that the $$ has long since been spent and the billboard just hasnt been taken down, thats another story. But, what about a small display in the parking lot of the local donut shop, or breakfast cafe on saturday morning? Driver meet and greet, see the cars, ask questions, etc. Offer 2 bucks off admission with the purchase of a dozen donuts.

That puts the promoting into the sponsors and supporters hands. Draws attention from someone who's possibly never been.

Maybe instead of bringing people to the track to see the cars and stars, bring some out to the people.

Then you've got an incentive to have a clean car on Saturday morning, and hey, maybe a flashy looking car to catch the eyes of the mom and dad and kid out to take the dog for a grooming. They pull over to grab a donut and see the 'weird thing with that big fin on top'. Or that 'dune buggy looking car'. Later that night, they go to their local track. Mom enjoys the family time. Dad likes the chili dog and beer. Kid loves the racing. After the checkers, they see the same car that they saw that morning, in the pits. Muddy, driver in the firesuit. Dad buys a shirt for the kid. Driver signs the shirt, kid smiles, parents smile... Happliy ever after. Then dad goes to work, and talks up the racing, cold beer, bomb food, etc. Kid wears the shirt to school, talks about the racer he got the autograph from. Mom's happy that she didnt get dust in her hair, how much fun her husband and son had. Those 3 now told 3 more people. They ALL come back the next week. Now with a driver to cheer for. 3 more beers, 3 more shirts.. the ball continues to roll...

I think we've all at one point or another relied solely on the promoter to put butts in the seats, when with a little effort on everyone's part, we all have an oppourtunity to grow the sport.

4 members like this post: 2fast4u, bn kleen, Copperhead, Task Force
8/27/14, 9:17 AM   #15
Dave Rudisell
Inactive Member

Attached is a picture of our booth. We have set up booths over 35 nights this summer mostly county fairs, businesses, and music events. Talked to hundreds of thousands of people and handed out lots of free tickets....in doing so we have gotten a lot of new fans. It's takes a lot of time, effort and long days. But you got to get out there and work for it. The days of just opening the gates are gone and have been for years. I challenge all other tracks to do the same.
Attached Images
image.jpg (138.3 KB, 70 views)

8/27/14, 9:31 AM   #16
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Last edited by mc/rider; 8/27/14 at 11:17 AM.

8/27/14, 10:08 AM   #17
kdobson

Great work Dave. We are doing something similar at our tracks over here in Illinois. Reorganizing our outreach to try to be present at community events, gatherings, parades etc. We really haven't done a good job at that in the past. It is going to take the support of teams and fans to help with some of that.

Over the past few weeks I've spent a lot of time studying Minor League Baseball marketing. I think it's a good comparison. 20 years ago Minor League baseball was about dead. Now it is thriving. They really don't have a baseball product to sell because no-one knows their players. Instead, they sell a fun experience with a family friendly environment, top-notch facilities, community outreach and creative promotions.

I think there's a lot to learn from Minor League baseball. I certainly haven't learned it yet, but heading into 2015 it's going to be the cornerstone of our marketing efforts at our tracks in Illinois. We will see what happens.

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, Ray3
8/27/14, 10:29 AM   #18
racer-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
I very clearly remember $4.00 a gallon in 2008
Sorry to get back to those pesky facts again but on November 8th 2008 the national avg for a gallon of no lead was $1.75. Yes it was more then that before that date in august but the past 5 years it has never stayed that much for years like it has. The weak dollar and epa are 2 of many reasons why. Wait till they finish the coal industry with regulation.

2 members like this post: DAD, Flatrightrear
8/27/14, 2:49 PM   #19
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
Sorry to get back to those pesky facts again but on November 8th 2008 the national avg for a gallon of no lead was $1.75. Yes it was more then that before that date in august but the past 5 years it has never stayed that much for years like it has. The weak dollar and epa are 2 of many reasons why. Wait till they finish the coal industry with regulation.
I guess you forgot the economy collapsed in 2008.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/stat...ng-gas-prices/

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ronmil, TQ97
8/27/14, 5:15 PM   #20
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
Racer

It is no longer considered to be politically correct to say, "IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID!!"

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: racer-x
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Regional speedways all facing major challenges