IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Night before the 500
5/30/11, 11:09 AM   #1
Night before the 500
SpfldMile

I haven't seen anyone post anything about this race, so I thought I would. It was my first trip to Lucas Oil Raceway(IRP), and I was very impressed. I have always liked the dirt, but the midgets on this track were great. Clauson shot out in the lead, but you could throw a blanket over the top 5 for the first 20 laps. Darren Hagen made a nice pass to get the lead, but BC looked like he would get it back quickly. BC had some mechanical troubles and pulled in, and after a caution with 15 to go, Hagen stretched it out for the win. Tracy Hines made a really nice run up through the field.

I think this might have to be my new tradition before the 500 on Sunday. The crowd was really good, and that was after about a 2 hour rain delay. The two series of Mazda cars were also fun to watch, but nothing like the midgets, they were incredible.

2 members like this post: Isaac Chapple Racing
5/31/11, 9:12 PM   #2
Re: Night before the 500
John P Huss

It's been 19 years since attending the "Night Before 500" The place has changed. Great facility. Racing was excellent. 20k to win was thanks
to the estate of Crocky Wright. Visited with Crocky several times
over the years. A huge Midget racing supporter!
Best Regards,
John

5/31/11, 9:33 PM   #3
Johnhunt

Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpfldMile View Post
I haven't seen anyone post anything about this race, so I thought I would. It was my first trip to Lucas Oil Raceway(IRP), and I was very impressed. I have always liked the dirt, but the midgets on this track were great. Clauson shot out in the lead, but you could throw a blanket over the top 5 for the first 20 laps. Darren Hagen made a nice pass to get the lead, but BC looked like he would get it back quickly. BC had some mechanical troubles and pulled in, and after a caution with 15 to go, Hagen stretched it out for the win. Tracy Hines made a really nice run up through the field.

I think this might have to be my new tradition before the 500 on Sunday. The crowd was really good, and that was after about a 2 hour rain delay. The two series of Mazda cars were also fun to watch, but nothing like the midgets, they were incredible.
I really enjoy midgets at IRP. Usually a great race. The USF2000 race wasn't bad either. It was also good to see a big crowd!

5/31/11, 9:52 PM   #4
TQ29m

Crocky Wright, at "SPEED"! Sure liked old Crocky, and I think he liked me, we had several long talks over the years. Bob!

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Well, I hate it when that happens, I was trying to download an old picture of Crocky, in his midget, years ago, but as usual, it failed, maybe I can get it to work tomorrow.
Last edited by TQ29m; 5/31/11 at 10:28 PM.

6/1/11, 4:23 PM   #5
duel

I haven't missed but one or two in the last 30 years. the last couple of years they finally got back to a midget program with heats starting around 7. this year the heats were at 5:30 i guess. i missed them. for me it takes away from the midget program when you have to sit through 2 long features with not much passing. 14 cars in each rear engine show. the long drying process didn't help either. i saw a lot of people leaving before the midget 50. i know they got it in but i think they really need to run mostly a midget program.

2 members like this post: buck2, dirtnonwingfan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Night before the 500