IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT - Olympic Luger Dies in Practice Run
2/12/10, 5:09 PM   #1
OT - Olympic Luger Dies in Practice Run
Seadog

Very sad. RIP

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzon...luge-training/

2/12/10, 5:31 PM   #2
Re: OT - Olympic Luger Dies in Practice Run
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Just seen this on yahoo. indeed very sad. RIP

2/12/10, 5:42 PM   #3
racerdog45

they said on ESPN that this is the fastest track there is, maybe too fast. RIP, sad start to the games......

2/12/10, 9:08 PM   #4
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

My wife is watching the opening ceremonies program. She has the headphones on so I can read, but she called me to come watch it. They just spent the first 10 minutes on this kid's death. They showed him leaving the track and hitting the post a half dozen times, along with close up shots of the bloody corpse. What the hell are they thinking?

There would be a terrible uproar if they did that at an auto race.

3 members like this post: illiNOISE, interpreter66, Jerry Spencer
2/12/10, 9:32 PM   #5
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
My wife is watching the opening ceremonies program. She has the headphones on so I can read, but she called me to come watch it. They just spent the first 10 minutes on this kid's death. They showed him leaving the track and hitting the post a half dozen times, along with close up shots of the bloody corpse. What the hell are they thinking?

Anything to sell the news. We also could not believe what we were seeing. D.A. of the month award.

Jerry #66

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
2/13/10, 12:10 AM   #6
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post

I pray not only for the family of the luger, but also for anyone who chooses to view this tragedy on youtube. Those folks clearly have a problem.

I mean, how sick does one have to be to want to see this?

2/13/10, 7:53 AM   #7
throb

he made a hell of a "ping" on that pole didnt he?? sounded like a golfball off an aluminum driver.......

2/13/10, 9:28 AM   #8
Cale88

So I guess throb stands for heartless moron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by throb View Post
he made a hell of a "ping" on that pole didnt he?? sounded like a golfball off an aluminum driver.......
Posted via Mobile Device

2/13/10, 9:42 AM   #9
throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale88 View Post
So I guess throb stands for heartless moron.
Posted via Mobile Device
i guess...i see the translation i suppose.....

2/13/10, 9:47 AM   #10
suade82

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/van...v=ap&type=lgns

This is kind of a load of crap. Us racers should be thankful that the people involved attempt to keep us safer. Luge is not much different than what we do. The story says it was human error, and basically they are making no attempt at making the track safer. Well duh, 99% of the time we crash it is human error. Human error is always going to happen, racing safety equipment is made to keep the human error injuries and worse down. I have seen the wreck, I am a mechanical engineer with bioengineering concentration I know about crashes with the human body, plus I have experience. No there is nothing wrong with the track, but there is plenty wrong with the surroundings of the track. No, padding the poles would not have saved his life and I know their helmets are not rated for that kind of impact. However, just some crude fencing would be better than a pole. I would much rather fly into fencing/netting than a pole. The orange netting stops the Downhill skiers, and they mostly just have broken bones. Wait dont we have fencing around our tracks.

Most fatal accidents are freak and of course sad. Its all because human error finds a flaw/weak point in our system. But I know that at least in racing when someone dies, we attempt to stop that weak point.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT - Olympic Luger Dies in Practice Run