IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bad News from out West
3/14/09, 12:41 PM   #61
Re: Bad News from out West
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlife517 View Post
Sad news indeed. Hopefully a new track can be constructed in the valley to place it. This reminds me all to well about Santa Fe Speedway. When it was first built there was nothing around it. Then as time when by $400,000 on up to $1,000,000 homes where constructed closer and closer to it. All these people moved there knowing there was a racetrack in close proximity but still complained about the noise. Developers ended up buying the property around it to build more homes and eventually, I believe the principal owner died leaving it to his kids and they sold it to the developers. But the developer didnt get the chunk of change he was hoping for out of the property because the mass site cleanup that would have to be done from years of oil and who knows what else getting dumped onto the ground and now it is a parking lot for a school bus company. So much history being lost everywhere you go these days. What about going to a historical society and trying to get historical status for some of these racetracks that have been around for years. They do it for other historical sites in the country. Why not racetracks?
They have to present something of value to a community or the nation and racetracks are generally not looked upon as that.

Quote:
All these people moved there knowing there was a racetrack in close proximity but still complained about the noise
I singled out this statement for one particular reason. What needs to be done (and MUST be done) is a who was there first ruling. It's not only racetracks that suffer but also farmers, and people who have lived in an area long before these rich people move out there. I guess the old adage "First come First served" means nothing anymore. It's more like" Who ever has the most money get's their way.

3/14/09, 12:45 PM   #62
Slide Job Racing

Just so you guys know.... this sale has nothing to do with the housing and noise.

3/14/09, 12:58 PM   #63
sceckert

There is no reason at all, beyond unwillingness, that a new facility can't be established in a metropolitan boomtown like the greater Phoenix area to fill the void left by Manzanita's sale. I second Coloradofan's notion that a Reservation locale may have huge upsides. Frankly, the issues that might have squelched doing deals with Native Americans in the past don't carry much water in these economic times.
They hear the pitch, they make their proposal, and either a deal is struck or not. As property owners, they should be able to establish a percentage-based cut of deals, especially as they are likely to provide a great many goods and services.
But whether it gets placed on reservation-land, out in the ever-decreasing boondocks of the valley, next to PIR, or in Little Mexico, the idea that an enormous metro area with an established fan base for racing and exceptional weather year-round can support a new track is a no-brainer. Here's to an eventual New Manzy Raceway....

3/14/09, 2:00 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceckert View Post
There is no reason at all, beyond unwillingness, that a new facility can't be established in a metropolitan boomtown like the greater Phoenix area to fill the void left by Manzanita's sale. I second Coloradofan's notion that a Reservation locale may have huge upsides. Frankly, the issues that might have squelched doing deals with Native Americans in the past don't carry much water in these economic times.
They hear the pitch, they make their proposal, and either a deal is struck or not. As property owners, they should be able to establish a percentage-based cut of deals, especially as they are likely to provide a great many goods and services.
But whether it gets placed on reservation-land, out in the ever-decreasing boondocks of the valley, next to PIR, or in Little Mexico, the idea that an enormous metro area with an established fan base for racing and exceptional weather year-round can support a new track is a no-brainer. Here's to an eventual New Manzy Raceway....
Building a track on a reservation is about as stable as building a racetrack a mile from a 20 year old housing community.

I shouldn't really go into details but if you need any examples, look at Hollywood Hills Speedway. One of the nicest dirt facilities in the country and it sat dormant for almost two years before it got an operator. Ask yourself why. The current promoters are taking a huge risk in making that place work, in more ways than one.

3/14/09, 6:13 PM   #65
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide Job Racing View Post
Just so you guys know.... this sale has nothing to do with the housing and noise.
Slide Job Racing, so please tell us what this sale does have to do with? What caused Mel Martin to pull the plug on Manzy after the track had already opened for the year, had released a schedule for the year and secured sponsorship for the year? I personally think this has been the hardest thing for the racing community to except. If the racers had been told at the end of last year or over the winter there would be no racing this year. They would not have spent hard earned money getting there cars ready. A sale like this does not happend overnight. Hopefully there will be an article in the AZ Republic soon that will help us understand way this sale has taken place at this time. My guess is economy, economy, economy!!! Was Mr. Martin one of the 40 some Arizona residents that had invested their life savings with Bernie Madoff?

The Martin family since taking over ownership of Manzy had made several improvements to the facility, maybe those improvements and the fact that the Martin family were themselves Manzy racers gave us all a false security that Manzy would be around for another 50 years. Maybe that is why so many from the Manzy racing community feel like they have been blind sided with this sale.

Manzy closing on April 11th means the Arizona racing community has lost two tracks within approximately 1 1/2 hours from each this year. Several posters have mentioned Keith Hall in this thread, last November when I attended a race at USA Raceway in Tucson Keith was working at this track; maybe that is why it was so easy for some of the ASCS dates to be picked up by that track. Just a guess on my part!

Patti

3/15/09, 1:56 AM   #66
Slide Job Racing

As of right now Mr. Hall has nothing to do with USA Raceway (lawsuit pending) Kevin Montgomery and Benji Lyons are promoting the track.
Southwest Crane was one of the bidders that had their hat in the mix when the Kimbro's sold it. The mineral rights alone are worth millions may be one of the motives behind it. I know you are aware of the rock quarry behind the track. Southwest had offered to purchase the track a few months ago and the Martins told them no. If the track was to be sold.... X amount would be the price. It has taken a few months but unfortunately the price was met. As bad as we all think that this is.... it does not change the fact the the Martins are good people.

3/15/09, 2:06 PM   #67
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide Job Racing View Post
As of right now Mr. Hall has nothing to do with USA Raceway (lawsuit pending) Kevin Montgomery and Benji Lyons are promoting the track.
Southwest Crane was one of the bidders that had their hat in the mix when the Kimbro's sold it. The mineral rights alone are worth millions may be one of the motives behind it. I know you are aware of the rock quarry behind the track. Southwest had offered to purchase the track a few months ago and the Martins told them no. If the track was to be sold.... X amount would be the price. It has taken a few months but unfortunately the price was met. As bad as we all think that this is.... it does not change the fact the the Martins are good people.
I just heard last night at Manzy that Keith Hall was let go over the winter fron USA Raceway, the party that told me did not mention a lawsuit. Guess I shouldn't have assumed because someone they would still be there.

IMHO, I do not think anyone has said or stated they think the Martin's are bad people. People just want answers, this is a big shock to everyone because unlike the other tracks we are aware of closing this year, Manzy opened and had a schedule in place for the year.

I don't know who was announcing last night with Windy, whoever he was he said the racing community will deal with the cards they have been dealt. He expressed great optimism that there will be a new Manzy somewhere in the valley. He talked about the strength of the fan base for dirt track racing community here in the valley. Only time will tell how this all plays out.

Patti

3/15/09, 3:59 PM   #68
Slide Job Racing

I was not implying that you were saying that the Martin's were bad people by no means Patti. I guess it was just out of frustration of reading what others are saying on other message boards about not supporting the last days of the track. I for one won't miss it for the world. Take care and I know we will see you there next weekend and the 11th as well. I am sure it will be an exhausting night as I will be hopping between 3 cars for the last night at the place we so love.

3/15/09, 4:06 PM   #69
dirtywhiteboy

Everytime I reread this thread I just hope this is just a nasty/horrible April Fool's day joke being April 1st is throw around as the final day of the track.

3/15/09, 4:16 PM   #70
Stagger

This is the saddest NEWS.... I grew up at that joint. Went to grade school with Keith Halls Daughter.I think if it does go down Dig all that clay up and bring it to Eldora or somewhere in Indiana. Ihave not been there in years. They used to have some pretty tacky New Mexico clay.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bad News from out West