IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A question about USAC Video???
3/1/09, 5:25 PM   #11
Re: A question about USAC Video???
STIDA.com

Race Count This Year: 9

I think what USAC is doing and trying to do is outstanding.....It will better the sport and hopefully bring in more fans (I believe it will) My questions is about the clarity of the picture I receive.....Does it have to do with my computer???? Is there anything I can do to help clear it up.... THANK YOU for the response's

3/1/09, 5:37 PM   #12
sprinter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIDA.com View Post
I think what USAC is doing and trying to do is outstanding.....It will better the sport and hopefully bring in more fans (I believe it will) My questions is about the clarity of the picture I receive.....Does it have to do with my computer???? Is there anything I can do to help clear it up.... THANK YOU for the response's
If you can play youtube, hulu, or any other video stream clearly on your computer, then it's pretty certain that USAC's stream needs adjustment. So Kevin's reply at least gives us hope.....but we'll wait and see....:headbang

3/1/09, 6:20 PM   #13
Kevin Miller

Oakland Sprint Fan:

We update points at the beginning of each week for "official points". Our site is updated nightly if you look under "results".

I believe you will find DirtVision is a pay site, which significantly reduces demand. We have (and are) entertaining this option. Dirtvision also has signifcantly altered their programming to listen only for the majority of races this season.

I am inclined to provide a great online presence for free. Server capacity for streaming video capabilities is a costly initiative. Add in a traveling videographer, and the costs far exceed fees we earn from conducting a race.

We have brought to this sport free live timing and scoring, which other sites (as well as here) have found convenient to "cut and paste" results. These are provided by significant investments made by USAC in the last 6 months to offer these free services to our fans.

We appreciate the fans that come to USAC Racing for real time timing and scoring, and our live audio/video services. We are committed to our technology initiative that has been underway. Expect more as the season progresses

3/1/09, 6:26 PM   #14
Kevin Miller

As far as the video stream...this is a real time feed, MUCH different than youtube, etc. We are UPLOADING fast action video, which is then fed to your computer. Upload speeds are much slower than download speeds, thus the quality is dependant on the upload speed at the track. For example, Manzy, Vegas and Perris did not have internet at the dirt track. We utilized a internet upload based on wireless technology. Some venues which have dedicated internet (Comcast high speed) in their tower will produce a much cleaner stream and allow more frames per seconds (think movies). When we use cell technology we must lower the frames per second to make sure the stream is fed through.

3/1/09, 10:01 PM   #15
Boston41

Doesn't sound like anybody actually answered your question.

To increase the number of concurrent viewers of video you may have to look into utilizing a streaming server. Standard hosting servers, as you know, bog down with multiple calls for video.

3/1/09, 11:13 PM   #16
Millsvideo

As I've stated a number of times, I realize it's frustrating when you can't get access to something others are getting. But, again, it's a learning process for all involved.

For all the people who had trouble accessing the stream, there were just as many who had no trouble with it. My mother was able to watch the entire event last night without any trouble, and she is virtually computer iliterate. I had several friends who accessed it in the middle of the event, because they were persistent and kept refreshing until they got it. One of these people (who has seen all four nights without much trouble) was at the Supercross event in Indy, then drove home and successfully signed on within 10 minutes of trying. Another had the stream early, signed off and went to dinner, and came back and managed to sign in again eventually. The bottom line is, some people refused to say die and eventually got on, and some people fell by the wayside and never did.

If you folks can have a little patience, and just understand that this is all new technology, and thus is prone to an R&D process, you will eventually see it will be perfected in time.

DM

3/1/09, 11:14 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Dean, Kinda sounds like your taking it personally. It's not ment to be. You can take the Kudos though as its truelly enjoyable when I "CAN" get it.

Patience is a virtue. We'll deal till fixed. Seems like when you guys started this last year it started with hard to get access and became better the more races you did. Kinda what Kevin was saying. The bandwidth increases the more demand or something like that.

Thanks
Chuck, who's had no luck with the refresh deal but did get complete Vegas footage
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 3/1/09 at 11:19 PM.

3/1/09, 11:19 PM   #18
SUPERDUKE
Banned

JUST FIX IT!:headbang

3/1/09, 11:34 PM   #19
Ovalmeister

I couldn't get in for Manzy or Vegas but was able to get in early last night for Perris. Great stuff on a cold winter night! Every new venture starts out rough until the bugs get worked out.
10 years ago this idea would have been laughable. I'm pretty grateful USAC is making this effort. Keep it up, it'll get figured out. Thanks Dean and USAC and everyone involved! :thumb
David.

3/2/09, 12:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsvideo View Post
As I've stated a number of times, I realize it's frustrating when you can't get access to something others are getting. But, again, it's a learning process for all involved.

For all the people who had trouble accessing the stream, there were just as many who had no trouble with it. My mother was able to watch the entire event last night without any trouble, and she is virtually computer iliterate. I had several friends who accessed it in the middle of the event, because they were persistent and kept refreshing until they got it. One of these people (who has seen all four nights without much trouble) was at the Supercross event in Indy, then drove home and successfully signed on within 10 minutes of trying. Another had the stream early, signed off and went to dinner, and came back and managed to sign in again eventually. The bottom line is, some people refused to say die and eventually got on, and some people fell by the wayside and never did.

If you folks can have a little patience, and just understand that this is all new technology, and thus is prone to an R&D process, you will eventually see it will be perfected in time.

DM
I missed Vegas completely but got in fine for Perris.

I find it more annoying that you and Kevin continue to answer the minority who loudly make their complaints over and over. Some people just can't stand to see USAC opening up new avenues and exposing their product to a larger market and being successful with it. These people aren't interest in any reasonable answer you can give them, so there's no reason to communicate with them at all.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A question about USAC Video???