IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > So..any interest in a big non winged show at VCS??
7/30/12, 11:37 PM   #11
Re: So..any interest in a big non winged show at V
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon Open Wheel fan View Post
This is going to be tough because so many schools here in Central Indiana including the one I work at start this week. Then throw in the one hour time difference its going to be hard for me to come. I am one of the biggest fans for Vermilion County Speedway because I grew up in the area.

Its way too hot in August to have a Sunday afternoon show but it would have to be a sprint show with maybe one extra class like modifieds. No one can stay until midnight and drive home on Sunday nights.

Has anyone maybe considered the Sunday of Labor Day weekend? I know Tri State normally races that Sunday but its so far from Danville IL it should not make a difference.
Kokomo is the one who runs the night before Labor Day......The Vince Osman Memorial.

7/30/12, 11:40 PM   #12
Sprintfan1985

Race Count This Year: 27
Race Count Last Year: 55

Just an idea but Kokomo is having there smackdown the 23rd, 24th, and 25th. What about running sunday the 26th. You may get some of those guys to come over after saturday night at Kokomo. Just another idea

7/30/12, 11:40 PM   #13
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Haubstadt is also running the night before labor day as well

Sunday, Sep 2 Labor Day Weekend Challenge - MSCS Sprints plus Modifieds $3000

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/30/12, 11:46 PM   #14
treecitytornado

So no shot at running a race on a Saturday? How about a Saturday or 2 in October?

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Avon Open Wheel fan
7/31/12, 12:19 AM   #15
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Looked at another way, it may be an excellent date. POWRi is at Lincoln August 17 and Macon August 18, with Silver Crown at the Springfield Mile the 18th. You might catch people going back home who came over for those but whose thirst for racing hasn't been totally satisfied. What a great racing weekend; two midget shows, one Silver Crown show, and a nonwing sprint show to wrap it up.

7/31/12, 2:56 AM   #16
SDHill89

On the 19th I have plans on being in Lasalle for the MOWA/IRA race but would love to support the track. I would like to see a race there on the 26th especially because I can't make it to Kokomo that weekend like I planned because I have to test for a job on the 25th.

7/31/12, 4:30 AM   #17
Hamby812

First off I don't have no dog in this fight. All I could provide is my butt and maybe a few friends to pay for a general admission pass. But this thread has me intrigued. Here are a few questions/statements...

1. Any idea of the pay out? I see it titled big show but no pay out. When i think of a Big show I think 10k or up to win.

2. Don't let this board persuade you to much. Yes it is one of if not the greatest website on the web but there are a lot of keyboard punchers that no matter what you do won't attend your race.

3. Go with your date, not what a few people on here think, chances are they wont come no matter when you have it and when doing something on the scale your trying to 1 or 2 cars or fans wont make the diffrence.(Return to #2 is you dont believe me lol). They wont matter a lot if properly promoted.

4. Don't bury yourself trying to make everyone happy by putting on 1 big show. Maybe make it an annual deal, give a catchy name, a decent purse and build on it every year. Maybe this year make it 3k to win and $500 to start. with a solid payout for the entire field and not just a huge mass at the top with a sharp decline to follow. Then next year add a grand to the purse or however much etc....non wing sprint car racing lacks something like the world 100 which I dont know the entire break down of the pay out but the winners purse goes up $1000 every year i do believe. Ya there are a few big shows but do something diffrent. Make it an event and not just a show.

5. Add whatever support classes you feel necessary, whatever fans this turns away wont cost you a penny with the cars it brings in. Anyone who would miss a show because they dont like fenders or wings is probably the type of person that will fit into statement #2. Myself I would love to see a track put on a massive 3 day show of Late models, modifieds, and non wing sprinters. Solid pay outs for each class. But thats a dream I know its much harder to make a reality. If I had the money I'd do it, run all your qualifying, heats and consi's the first couple nights, and then the last night run non qualifier races and A-mains. Sprint a-main 40laps, modified a-main 50 laps and the late model main 100 laps. Fans get there moneys worth and the track could handle it over a 3 day period if worked properly. People whine about modifieds not putting on a good show but they do when you put up enough purse to keep out the guys that have no buisness being in a car who know they wont win.

I think this is all I have for now lol. I have always wanted to have the money or means to put an event on but I dont. Fact is you need to do what you want and what you think will work. And most of all Thank You, even if it dont pan out for attempting to give back to the sport we all love most!!
Last edited by Hamby812; 7/31/12 at 4:57 AM.

4 members like this post: Don 65s, PJ Wright, racephoto1
7/31/12, 5:28 AM   #18
19racer

Thing is now its late enough in season that guys running for track points, your top guys are running USAC shows in August. I know Kokomo is off until aug 23,24,25. Terre haute runs sat sept 1, then Kokomo for Vince osman memorial is sept 2. Then I know Kokomo is done til the Klash in oct.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/31/12, 5:46 AM   #19
stanbrough4presidentgo53

If on a Sunday my girlfriend and I would love to make the trip.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/31/12, 8:45 AM   #20
Morin Racing 98

Race Count Last Year: 27

And..I believe Paragon Speedway is racing on Sunday, August 19th...they are switching to Sundays for a few weeks.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > So..any interest in a big non winged show at VCS??