allow aftermarket ignition for mec injection systems 19 34.55%
allow gasoline or methanol as fuel 10 18.18%
allow methanol only (safety) 31 56.36%
allow aftermarket injection electronic 24 43.64%
allow aftermarket injection mechanical 27 49.09%
allow bore change to meet displacement 14 25.45%
allow stroke change to meet displacement 13 23.64%
allow the use of restricted older National Midget Motors 25 45.45%
allow the use of stock smaller forced induction motors as they come on line 9 16.36%
allow M/C powerd cars to remove clutch and starter 10 18.18%
Allow 2.5L Engines 17 30.91%
I have raced in a DII class in the past 19 34.55%
I am very interested in DII Midget racing 18 32.73%
keep min weight as they are 1125>1000>910>875 7 12.73%
Change min weight of auto engine cars down to 1025 lbs. 3 5.45%
Tow your car on an open trailer 5 9.09%
weiRaise the min weight to accomodate 2014 average male weight of 196 pounds 4 7.27%
allow OEM Stock VVT 9 16.36%
VVT must be disabled if aftermarket fuel injection is used 3 5.45%
no wings 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New DII Engine rules
10/13/15, 8:47 PM   #1
New DII Engine rules
DAD

Winter is here and it's time to start making rules and changes for next season. Maybe it is time to start checking to see what racers feel about DII engine rules. I realize some of this stuff is confusing. You may vote yes on as many items as you like you or I may add to the poll if we wish and think of something that I missed.
Last edited by DAD; 10/13/15 at 9:46 PM.

10/14/15, 12:31 AM   #2
Re: New DII Engine rules
fish

I can't find the "don't allow" button anywhere.

10/14/15, 5:28 AM   #3
the visitor

Looks to me your trying to get back to a 30k motor !!!!!!!!!

10/14/15, 8:48 AM   #4
red70racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the visitor View Post
Looks to me your trying to get back to a 30k motor !!!!!!!!!
We as racers cannot make our own rules
I agree looking at this poll it can escalate quickly
I think French Grimes has a formula that works
We need to not let racers make make these decisions

5 members like this post: DAD, DaveP63, fish, Ken Bonnema, nathans1012
10/14/15, 9:08 AM   #5
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
I can't find the "don't allow" button anywhere.
Fish

If you want you can write in additional responses that includes "Don't allow" In fact I am going to add a couple more responses my self. You can even change your vote as often as you like.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 10/14/15 at 9:28 AM.

1 member likes this post: fish
10/14/15, 10:47 AM   #6
DAD

Looks like we have a lot of racers out there with older National Midget Motors wanting some place to race. That sounds like a good thing to me. Or do they think they can just go "Cherry Picking" in the DII class?

Honest Dad himself

10/14/15, 1:21 PM   #7
gearguy

I want to go racing not inspecting. Let's return to the common sense rules of the 1970s BEFORE all these specialized racing motors came into being. If it looked like a Chevy II on the outside and didn't have a cross flow head you got so many cubic inches and if you finished in the top three you were checked. If it was a different engine type you got a different displacement.
I have Honda F motors that started off as $500 E-bay basket cases and the D2 rules act like they are plutonium. It should be up to the car owners what parts they want to put inside their motors. The cost savings come from using stock castings not stock parts that might fail and cost you a whole motor. In most cases the stock parts are as good or better than the aftermarket parts. The entire numbers matching thing is a joke. If you race for a few years you will end up with a collection of damaged motors and it makes no sense to prevent a car owner from bolting together a frankenstein if the parts fit.
The automakers are changing motors much more frequently than before. Today's racing Ecotec is not the same as in the 2015 cars. A top level spec salvage yard motor will cost more than a used up low spec motor but will be cheaper than rebuilding anything.
Our Illini group has been doing the D2 thing for 24 seasons and we've seen damn near everything tried at least once. The rules shouldn't keep people from being creative.

1 member likes this post: DAD
10/14/15, 2:23 PM   #8
lightning01

Before you worry about rules everyone needs to come together and figure out the identity of D2 midgets, or whatever you choose to call them. Are we gonna be less expensive national midgets with $15-20k engines, or a true lower class that is an open wheel alternative to a stock car or sport mod with $5-10k engines? Once you decide that, the rules will be easy to figure out. I don't care either way, just decide. Selfishness and ego among the leaders of this concept will kill it long before bad rules will. We need an identity before we need a set of rules.

5 members like this post: DAD, DaveP63, jjones752, R.Drang, Wayne Davis
10/14/15, 2:44 PM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning01 View Post
Before you worry about rules everyone needs to come together and figure out the identity of D2 midgets, or whatever you choose to call them. Are we gonna be less expensive national midgets with $15-20k engines, or a true lower class that is an open wheel alternative to a stock car or sport mod with $5-10k engines? Once you decide that, the rules will be easy to figure out. I don't care either way, just decide. Selfishness and ego among the leaders of this concept will kill it long before bad rules will. We need an identity before we need a set of rules.

Travis

I don't think they will be either "Mini" Or "Lightning" Midgets. The old guy with the concept down in Florida who has put forth a lot of time and effort furthering the concept, I would have to rate as selfless. He isn't making anything off of the deal. He is just trying to further the cause.

Me I am a very interested by stander who also like to get people thinking. At first I was a bit disturbed with the results but further study seems to prove out that racers aren't too far off the mark.

Do you think you could change your handle to DII01 or D201 ??

Seriously most of the people involved have the best interest of the class at heart. I for one don't want to see a wide open bidding war about who can spend the most money. If done right spending money won't be as big of an advantage as it is in other classes of racing, just like Mini-Sprints (I never did like the term Lightning Sprint) that is what got the Florida guy to thinking.

Honest Dad himself

10/14/15, 3:19 PM   #10
gearguy

There is not much new in this D2 business. In 2016 the Illini Racing Series will have its 25th season of sportsman midget racing. Laverne Spenser has sheparded this deal from the start and has the scars to prove it. You may not like our tire rules but we have the motor thing pretty much under control. National motors are allowed but restricted; we have a stock internal rule but make allowances in restrictor size to account for motors that have been internally modified.
All that got "invented" in Florida or Iowa was the D2 nametag. Stock block clubs existed before WWII and proudly called themselves Class B Midgets.

5 members like this post: computergeek, DAD, jjones752, RickyBobby, xoxide
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New DII Engine rules