IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #11 7/30/21 12:53 AM
While I don't approve of the language or antics that went on at LPS tonight (I wasn't there, just watched it on Flo) I understand the emotion involved. Racing is about the only sport where less than a minute after a high stakes, emotionally charged, highly dangerous event occurs, someone sticks a microphone in the athlete's face for a comment. As the portable/wireless technology has evolved, a driver is nearly interviewed crawling out of his wrecked race car. Their adrenaline is running a thousand miles an hour, they are emotional and usually they are VERY upset, at the situation, another driver, the car, the crew, whomever or whatever! I don't necessarily agree with what comes out of their mouths sometimes, but the raw emotion is what you are going get that soon after an incident.
15 Likes: 1modracer, BrentTFunk, Hubie48, jim goerge, kcarm92, luckybuc97, okie, oppweld, racenut69, rick42, rmr6nm, skids59, Speedmax3, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
Hubie48 (Offline)
  #12 7/30/21 5:36 AM
I totally agree with the comments of emotions running high and microphones being on the scene. Not to mention the fact this is a tight group of competitors, most of whom are under the age of thirty. Throw in the fact the announcer is the significant other and you have a total mess on your hands.

This was not the best effort from Flo or USAC IMO, but in the grand scheme of things not a huge deal. I feel bad for Thorson as he did nothing wrong. A well deserved win which was attained by never giving up.

see you at Bloomington.
5 Likes: jim goerge, jonboat15, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner
axman897 (Offline)
  #13 7/30/21 8:04 AM
What we love best about these guys is the raw, real emotion after a race. Did Tanner slip with the F-bomb: yes. Do most of us sometimes slip with a cuss word or two-yes! I'm glad my kids haven't picked up on this. On a positive note-I'm glad this happened in victory lane instead of the pits. Must-see TV!
2 Likes: jim goerge, tirespinner
DRFan87 (Offline)
  #14 7/30/21 8:26 AM
Nothing better than watching one of the most exciting finishes of the year, logging onto IOW the next morning, and seeing boomers complain because a guy said a word. A tradition like no other
13 Likes: Blitzman, dkdorkboy, dkgphoto, Gene Franckowiak, jim goerge, Joekocjan, okie, opnwhlmnd, PAW, sw1911, TBONE, tirespinner, trackprep
reeserx (Offline)
  #15 7/30/21 8:37 AM
Originally Posted by RACrappieman:
Not impressed with the choice of words Mr. Thorsen used in victory lane this evening.
I mean what do you expect? Thorson just won a hard fought race, pulls to victory lane with CJ standing there obviously yelling and screaming at him. He’s pumped up from winning. Come on. I used to like CJ, but man he’s turned into whatever this is. Gets busted for tire doping then complains if he doesn’t win because someone else did something.
7 Likes: Beinthecircle, Chief Wahoo, dkgphoto, DRFan87, duel, opnwhlmnd, tirespinner
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #16 7/30/21 8:42 AM
I am sure Thorson wishes he had chosen his words more carefully. It was heat of the moment. I think he can be given a break.
18 Likes: 1modracer, Charles Nungester, CRA91, dkdorkboy, duel, Gene Franckowiak, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, jonboat15, luckybuc97, oppweld, rmr6nm, ROSS, sc17x, skids59, TBONE, tirespinner, TNRustler
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #17 7/30/21 10:16 AM
Was Tanners word inappropriate? Absolutely! If a kid is with me and that happens I use it as a learning tool about what not to do. On the other hand if you’re so offended that your child might hear a bad word, I recommend that you lock em in their bedroom, paint unicorns 🦄 and rainbows 🌈 on their walls and put Sesame Street on their TV and lock the door. Because the real world is a whole lot worse than a race car driver dropping a F bomb 💣
15 Likes: 1modracer, Blitzman, CRA91, dkgphoto, Joekocjan, kcarm92, luckybuc97, nitrofunny, opnwhlmnd, oppweld, PIT CART, racenut69, rick42, tirespinner, trackprep
WinglessLovers (Offline)
  #18 7/30/21 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo:
Couldn’t hear anything over the PA. Had to watch interview on Flo to hear what he said from where we were sitting. I’m sure those kids have heard worse. Not saying it’s appropriate, but when you take your kids to any sporting events, be it racing, football, baseball you better expect to hear some bad language.
Bryan,

I heard what Thorson said over the PA system and I wear two hearing aids!!!!

Bruce Eckel
3 Likes: fish, progressive22, tirespinner
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #19 7/30/21 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by WinglessLovers:
Bryan,

Bruce Eckel
Bruce,
You must of had them baby's cranked up on full blast. I could not hear a word of the interview at all thru the PA and I have good hearing!

3 Likes: oppweld, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
Chief Wahoo (Offline)
  #20 7/30/21 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by WinglessLovers:
Bryan,

Bruce Eckel
I wished I heard it. You must have been at a better angle from the speakers or the people around you were more quiet. We couldn’t hear anything. To many fans clapping, yelling, and taking which didn’t help either.

Eat dirt, be happy
Let’s go Brandon!!
Bryan Hirshman
3 Likes: oppweld, tirespinner, WinglessLovers