IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
11/7/13, 11:02 AM   #111
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
openwheel44

Plus throw in another $2,400-$2,600 to get a driveline system in it. Ooops.......better have a tank and bladder system or there's another $1,500 to get it painted and mounted. Oh gee.......that cheap tire bill you had just flew out the window. Of course, if there is plenty of high paying midget races in your area and you can win every one of them.........you "might" come close to breaking even. Hell of deal.

I just remembered why I got out of midget racing.

11/7/13, 11:10 AM   #112
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Yup. Lol

25k engines, further solidifies the need for a economy open wheel class.
Andy

$25,000.00 sounds like a whole lot of money, but if you break it down into individual parts it doesn't look to bad at all. We are comparing a purpose built race motor to a used and perhaps damaged psudo stock motorcycle engine.

If you were to buy a crate brand new 2014 zx10r engine the price would be about:

New engine long block $5000.00
Custom Fuel injection and plumbing $3500.00
custom pan and oil pickup $600.00
Custom air cleaner $500.00
Ignition system $1500.00
Header and muffler $850.00

Total $11,950.00

Of course we have the option unlike our midget bigger brothers of buying salvage motors, which may or may not be a good idea.

I bought two salvage motors this summer that apparently had taken a hard hit to the stator side of the engine. I suspect the sellers bolted on another flywheel and cover and sold it. After the fact I find that the main bearing on two of these motors on the Flywheel side were .0035 and .003 out of round. Could not figure out where all my oil pres was going. Pop a few of these things and it can ruin your outlook on racing.

Midgets on the other hand don't have junk yards with motors in them and they have to start from scratch. They produce about twice the horsepower of one of our little bombs, and use quality purpose built parts.

Just guessing Their Numbers would go something like this I think:

Cylinder block $3000.00
Cylinder head $2500.00
Ti valves 8@$150.00 $1200.00
Ti retainers 8@ $50.00 $400.00
Valve springs 8@$50.00 $400.00
Camshaft $400.00
Lifters $200.00
Rockers $200.00
Head gasket $75.00
Pistons, Pins, & rings $1400.00
Ti Rods $4500.00
Rod Bearings $200.00
Crank shaft $3000.00
Main Bearings $200.00
Oil pan $600.00
Dry sump pump and Plumbing $3000.00
Fuel Injection and Plumbing $3500.00
Air cleaner $500.00
Ignition system $1500.00
Water pump $200.00
Headers and muffler $1000.00
Misc gaskets $100.00

Total $28,975.00

That would give you minus $3975.00 to put the thing together tune and Dyno it.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/7/13 at 11:43 AM.

11/7/13, 11:22 AM   #113
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheel44 View Post
Plus throw in another $2,400-$2,600 to get a driveline system in it. Ooops.......better have a tank and bladder system or there's another $1,500 to get it painted and mounted. Oh gee.......that cheap tire bill you had just flew out the window. Of course, if there is plenty of high paying midget races in your area and you can win every one of them.........you "might" come close to breaking even. Hell of deal.

I just remembered why I got out of midget racing.

Phil

I have several friends that have mad a small fortune racing USAC National midgets.

Honest Dad himself

PS Did I mention they started out with Large fortunes.

11/9/13, 3:59 AM   #114
diana

Don't you think a penalty , lets say loose all your points would be a good enough deterrent ,or better yet have your tech committee check the cars out before they are allowed to race

11/9/13, 11:08 AM   #115
Bradleyracing86

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana View Post
Don't you think a penalty , lets say loose all your points would be a good enough deterrent ,or better yet have your tech committee check the cars out before they are allowed to race
If guys actually think they will be teched, it would probabley be enough of a deterent. However if there was a national rule base, and enforcement a guy couldn't hop from series to series with an illegal car. Make the penalty wide spread. That would make them reconsider.?

11/9/13, 12:21 PM   #116
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
If guys actually think they will be teched, it would probabley be enough of a deterent. However if there was a national rule base, and enforcement a guy couldn't hop from series to series with an illegal car. Make the penalty wide spread. That would make them reconsider.?
Huh??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????

Somebody should get a little poll going and see what really is Important.

Got to get back practicing now I'm a little off on launch speed.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/9/13 at 12:24 PM.

11/9/13, 5:05 PM   #117
Bradleyracing86

Well go ahead and get one started.

11/9/13, 5:37 PM   #118
PatrickMead#13

Wow.. this thread is going off the walls....lol the funny part is since the "big money" engine was brought up, I don't get why the ecotec deal isn't blowing up. When you blow one up, cruise on down to your local parts store and buy a long block for less than $1000 and run it for 2 seasons or more. I thought the issue is about getting a "stock" set of rules everyone is in agreement with that helps our sport, invites others with lower budgets such as myself to have an economical class to run and help it grow. I still consider myself the new guy and the biggest turn off I see most the time is people going back and forth about rules, the lack of enforcement of said rules, the price of engines, built engines, tire rules , etc. People are going to figure out how to go fast and win no matter what which is part of competition. Just throwing this out there, why not make it interesting but offer an incentive for winning the cheapest or something. I enjoy the class, the racers in it, and the economics of the class. I hope this meeting is a step in a good direction for getting everyone on a common ground and help this class moving in the right direction.

3 members like this post: DAD, jjones752, Wayne Davis
11/9/13, 7:49 PM   #119
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickMead#13 View Post
Wow.. this thread is going off the walls....lol the funny part is since the "big money" engine was brought up, I don't get why the ecotec deal isn't blowing up. When you blow one up, cruise on down to your local parts store and buy a long block for less than $1000 and run it for 2 seasons or more. I thought the issue is about getting a "stock" set of rules everyone is in agreement with that helps our sport, invites others with lower budgets such as myself to have an economical class to run and help it grow. I still consider myself the new guy and the biggest turn off I see most the time is people going back and forth about rules, the lack of enforcement of said rules, the price of engines, built engines, tire rules , etc. People are going to figure out how to go fast and win no matter what which is part of competition. Just throwing this out there, why not make it interesting but offer an incentive for winning the cheapest or something. I enjoy the class, the racers in it, and the economics of the class. I hope this meeting is a step in a good direction for getting everyone on a common ground and help this class moving in the right direction.
Patrick

Some of us are passionate about these things. It shows in the conversation between one another. Our Ideas may be 180 degrees apart from one another, and that is a good thing. Internet boards and public meeting are a great way to express our thoughts and opinions, But a very poor device for achieving our goals and making rules.

These guys are going to have a meeting next weekend. There will probably be some discourse and some agreement. It would be terrible if they all agreed, then we would have a mutual admiration society and very little depth and understanding about what is really needed.

At the end of this meeting or perhaps it best be called a conference, "Two" guys are going to have to go back home with whatever knowledge they hopefully gain from the other people in attendance. Hopefully they may change some of their preconceived ideas and reinforce some of their other ideas and come up with a set of rules that they hope will help grow their group. If their rules are good others will follow them, to an extent.

Hoping for something that will work for all groups through out the entire USA is probably a wishful thinking.
People in Florida see things and do things different than people in Vermont, it still boils down into what works best for each particular group, and what will "Racers" have to change to race with the other guys.

With the invent of the internet all of us are better connected than ever before. I can remember going to race tracks with just a little more knowledge than I could get out of the "Speedway Guide" and hoping we would be allowed to run with at that particular track, a few times we ended watching the race because we could not meet their specs.

I wish we could have more people on IOW express their own ideas about what we need to move ahead. Sometimes I sit around just thinking of what I need to do or say to get a response out of people, sometimes I am very successful sometime not so.

We have a lot of challenges out there to think about, some urgent, and some maybe urgent only in the future. We just need to keep on talking and listening to one another, keeping our minds open to the other persons thoughts and usually after it is all said and done we will some how be able come up with some pretty good rules.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/9/13 at 7:56 PM.

1 member likes this post: PatrickMead#13
11/9/13, 11:18 PM   #120
kcarm92

Just asking wheres this meeting taking place thanks

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting