12/11/15, 5:05 PM   #1
Hut Hundred
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Rowe View Post
I guess the Hut 100 is long gone ?
Pretty new guy when it comes to the OW stuff. Hut 100 is Midgets at Terre Haute traditionally correct? Then tried at one or 2 other tracks.

So what does the HUT mean?

Also is this worth being brought back if its not at Terre Haute. If so where could do it, make sense, and be successful?

1 member likes this post: jabman66
12/11/15, 5:43 PM   #2
Re: Hut Hundred
openwheelfan1

The word "Hut" was just kind of a shortened version of Haute. A lot of people used to call Terre Haute Terre "Hut" or even just "Hut".

The Hut Hundred has not been contested at the Terre Haute Action Track for about the last 8-10 yrs. THAT went through a spell where there were some issues with promotion of races, and that coincided with a decline in the number of midgets that would compete in long races on big 1/2 mile tracks. They just could't draw midgets or a crowd to THAT for the race.

Tom Helfrich at Tri-State Speedway was the most recent to try the Hut Hundred at his track, but 2014 was the last year for it there, as he did not bring it back for 2015.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
12/11/15, 9:24 PM   #3
jim goerge

The most recent promoter to try the Hut 100 for at least 2 or 3 years was Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach,IL I think the weather got them last year.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97
12/11/15, 10:31 PM   #4
stealth43k

bring the hut back i dont care where just needs to be back

4 members like this post: dirtball, flagboy55, jim goerge, luckybuc97
12/12/15, 2:04 AM   #5
flagboy55

God forbid we ever race midgets on anything bigger than a small quarter mile! Maybe we could resurrect it at the speeddrome?

1 member likes this post: tamati
12/12/15, 8:53 AM   #6
HighbanksHustlin

Race Count This Year: 3

I understand the hesitance to bring the race back. Look at what POWRi has accomplished by running most 1/4 mile and smaller race tracks...car counts that are always 30+. USAC can't say that at the current time. I think the schedule is a huge step in the right direction and I applaud Levi Jones for all his work so far. Until the Toyota's are reigned in a bit the perception that a guy can't be competitive on the bigger race tracks without a monster motor are becoming reality. I do think there are a place for some historic 1/2 mile tracks on the schedule... Eldora (4-Crown), Belleville (Nationals), and Terre Haute (Hut). With Turkey Night being moved from a 1/2 to a 1/5 it has helped the schedule some and I think that race will have more cars this year. I don't think the promotional issues Terre Haute had a few years back have helped this race either. However, now with the O'Connors doing it that seems to be fixed.

In due time I hope to see this race back and at Terre Haute where it belongs! I was fortunate enough to see it 2 years in a row at Tri-State and it was great. I have never seen midgets at Terre Haute and would love to!

12/12/15, 10:06 AM   #7
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighbanksHustlin View Post
I understand the hesitance to bring the race back. Look at what POWRi has accomplished by running most 1/4 mile and smaller race tracks...car counts that are always 30+. USAC can't say that at the current time. I think the schedule is a huge step in the right direction and I applaud Levi Jones for all his work so far. Until the Toyota's are reigned in a bit the perception that a guy can't be competitive on the bigger race tracks without a monster motor are becoming reality. I do think there are a place for some historic 1/2 mile tracks on the schedule... Eldora (4-Crown), Belleville (Nationals), and Terre Haute (Hut). With Turkey Night being moved from a 1/2 to a 1/5 it has helped the schedule some and I think that race will have more cars this year. I don't think the promotional issues Terre Haute had a few years back have helped this race either. However, now with the O'Connors doing it that seems to be fixed.

In due time I hope to see this race back and at Terre Haute where it belongs! I was fortunate enough to see it 2 years in a row at Tri-State and it was great. I have never seen midgets at Terre Haute and would love to!
Pretty sure its just Bob Sargent promoting at THAT now.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, ronmil
12/12/15, 10:42 AM   #8
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighbanksHustlin View Post

Sargent is indeed the current promoter of THAT. The last Hut Hundred at Terre Haute had few cars and very few fans. This board was full of people complaining the next few days. (many who were not there) All it would take to bring it back is a thick skinned promoter who wants to lose $40,000. Good luck finding that. I would love too see it back, but there are a lot of things I would love to see. I agree with you that POWRi has built a strong program small tracks, but not all the shows had over 30 cars.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 12/12/15 at 10:45 AM.

12/12/15, 10:58 AM   #9
Vukie

15 ain't 30 plus.
http://www.powri.com/schedule-detail.asp?RaceID=24879

Eleven times during the 2015 season POWRi had car counts lower than 30. The high car count of the year was 69, the lowest was 13 cars. 5 times during the season they had car counts over 50. The Kunz cars won quite few races in POWRi also.

USAC had a high car of 53 and the lowest was 20 during the 2015 season.Eight times USAC had car counts over 30. Several races during the season [both clubs] were co-sanctions.
Last edited by Vukie; 12/12/15 at 11:42 AM.

12/12/15, 11:44 AM   #10
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
15 ain't 30 plus.
http://www.powri.com/schedule-detail.asp?RaceID=24879

Eleven times during the 2015 season POWRi had car counts lower than 30. The high car count of the year was 69, the lowest was 13 cars. 5 times during the season they had car counts over 50. The Kunz cars won quite few races in POWRi also.

USAC had a high car of 53 and the lowest was 20 during the 2015 season.Eight times USAC had car counts over 30. Several races during the season [both clubs] were co-sanctions.
That doesn't mean they don't do a good job. They have a tough job

4 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge, mc/rider, Pat O'Connor Fan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hut Hundred