IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Remembering James McElreath
10/17/23, 11:49 PM   #11
Re: Remembering James McElreath
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDramazone2020 View Post
I did not miss many races at Winchester back then when I was a kid. I am glad I missed this day. I too saw many bad ones here....the Dana Carter, Bill Cassella accident was bad one right under the bridge, and Butch Wilkerson had a bad one as well.
Yeah, unfortunately I saw the Carter/Cassella crash and Butch’s crash as well. I was all but certain I had witnessed another fatal in Butch’s incident. I was saw thankful that Butch survived. I know the crash ended his career, but at least he’s still with us.

10/18/23, 11:17 AM   #12
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
Hey Ron,

How ironic someone on IOW was also at the 1981 Winchester 400, or the Dri-Powr 400 back then. It certainly was a sad day. I can remember everything about that weekend like it was yesterday. I drove my Pontiac J-2000 there. Stayed at the old Overpass Motel. It was a cool cloudy weekend. Pretty sure no racing on Saturday, only qualifying. You are right....it was a SRO crowd. I was sitting on the main straightaway coming out of turn 4. Prior to the race, I stood by Dick Trickle and Pat Schauer during the pre-race meet and greet. They were joking around and talking to all the fans. I'm almost certain the accident happened with only 19 laps to go. Pat's car was nudged and veered left toward that pit gate and when he hit it, it was the most sickening explosive sound. I remember leaving the race after that happened because I was so upset. I called the ASA office the next day to confirm the tragic news. Pretty sure Pat had three boys and they and his wife presented the ASA Rookie of the Year award in his honor for many years later. How sad, yet how proud they were.

All of us race fans have memories like etched in our minds, good or bad. Next spring or summer I'll reach out to you and find you at at track to meet you. Thanks
I enjoy reading your posts. Always enjoy meeting IOW members at the track. I’ll look for you next season.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
10/19/23, 8:54 AM   #13
Re: Remembering James McElreath
miledirt

Was it around '92? McElreath's last time on a dirt mile at DuQuoin?

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Remembering James McElreath