IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 4 Crown
9/25/23, 2:52 PM   #11
Re: 4 Crown
BrentTFunk

I went both nights. (And Gas City on Thursday) Yes Saturday is a long night, but to me it is worth it, seeing that much quality racing. You only get that one time a year. I wouldn't want to go to that long of a show all the time. Best part was 3 nights at the races, and only top shelf open wheel classes. Even though Saturday was a long night, it was efficiently run with almost no down time. I thought the track prep was excellent.

9/25/23, 4:09 PM   #12
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
A few of my thoughts on the weekend…

Hats off to Logan Seavey. He becomes the third driver in Eldora history to win three USAC division mains in one night during the 4-Crown. He joins at elite list with Jack Hewitt and Kyle Larson. That was great to witness in person.
I have disagree...If you say "4-Crown" then that is all 4 races not just the 3 USAC races...So to me and my opinion, Jack Hewitt stands alone, period....
Yes Seavey and Larson along with Jack won all 3 USAC parts so if you are leaving the other class off then it needs to be 3-Crown Nationals

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: bighd0522, openwheelfan1
9/25/23, 4:11 PM   #13
kb78

I went all three nights and loved it. I don't know how you would speed up the show unless you qualified earlier in the day and then reworked the track, I know what I sign up for when I go so it doesn't bother me.
One of my bosses from work got invited by a friend of his so this was his first race of any kind. As much as I love the event I thought to myself that this was a terrible event to try to break someone in with, four different cars with four different set-ups and four different formats for a newbie to try and keep track of? Forget about it. I told him today that I would get him to a track with less going on so I could explain some stuff to him at a later date.

9/25/23, 5:01 PM   #14
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

4 Crown Nationals is by far the BEST event in the country with ALL 4 styles of open wheel sprint type cars

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

4 members like this post: dkdorkboy, fishnman, flagboy55, opnwhlmnd
9/25/23, 7:11 PM   #15
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Maybe my standards are a little higher than the other posters but I’m probably going to skip 4 Crown next year unless they make a few changes.
1. Haulers in infield block too much of the view of the track.
2. Track surface is a little better than a few years ago but still forms a huge plume of powder in the air. The new lights are brighter but it’s like driving in fog with your brights on.
3. Track prep was obviously done in favor of the winged sprints. They are using a weighted roller to pack the track hard, something Earl never did. This led to no cushion in 3&4 and directly caused several non-wing cars to get torn up. Friday wasn’t as bad.
4. Saturday night show is too long, could eliminate midget heats and should have started hot laps at 5pm.

9/25/23, 9:11 PM   #16
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Maybe my standards are a little higher than the other posters but I’m probably going to skip 4 Crown next year unless they make a few changes.
1. Haulers in infield block too much of the view of the track.
2. Track surface is a little better than a few years ago but still forms a huge plume of powder in the air. The new lights are brighter but it’s like driving in fog with your brights on.
3. Track prep was obviously done in favor of the winged sprints. They are using a weighted roller to pack the track hard, something Earl never did. This led to no cushion in 3&4 and directly caused several non-wing cars to get torn up. Friday wasn’t as bad.
4. Saturday night show is too long, could eliminate midget heats and should have started hot laps at 5pm.
What Earl did was sheepsfoot the hell out of it, especially after Doty got hurt

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, opnwhlmnd, tirespinner
9/25/23, 9:27 PM   #17
flagboy55

No complaints here, other than the one I posted on the other thread. I think it’s great on Friday to have the outlaws as a support class for the Midgets. The track was good, the racing was good, Jack was the Grand Marshal. I agree with everyone else, you know what to expect on Saturday, plan accordingly. I know it’s hard to stay awake for some of us graybeards, but it’s not everyday, heck only one time a year you get 4 headliner open wheel classes on the same card. We had an outstanding time. I wish I would’ve had more time to track down some of you guy’s and put some faces to names, but I had a lot of catching up to do with some special friends I’ve not seen in about 35 years. The 4 Crowns are always special to me. More than just the racing it’s a celebration of USAC racing and our families pilgrimage to Eldora since we first went in the 70’s. Long live the 4👑

9/25/23, 10:48 PM   #18
captrat

Was at first one and many more. Simply put them program particularly is too long. There are ways to do this, no need for midget heats on Saturday. Runny non qualifiers and features for midgets, wings and non wing on Saturday. Heats and qualifying on Friday. Starting at 1800 hours and finishing at 0030 is unacceptable. Try to turn a sober new fan onto that.

2 members like this post: motorhead748, OnTheHammer
9/26/23, 6:07 AM   #19
motorhead748

I was there both nights. Stayed for entire show Friday. I went Saturday knowing full well what it was gonna be but when I went to the restroom at 10p and they were still running heat races I left. And I was not alone, as I was getting dressed for my motorcycle ride home there was a steady stream of people coming out.

2 members like this post: OnTheHammer, PIT CART
9/26/23, 11:10 AM   #20
hoosierhillbilly

This might be my last 4 crown for a while. We rolled out after the ASCOC feature. I wanted to see the silver crown feature but was exhausted. Between the overall cost (fuel, tickets, hotel, etc) and the late night I am not sure I see the value in going any longer. Maybe I am spoiled by flo. Who knows. We will see next year.

4 members like this post: Hubie48, PIT CART, tirespinner, TQ97
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 4 Crown