IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 22 highlights
12/26/22, 12:35 PM   #1
22 highlights
flagboy55

Well folks were coming out of turn 4 rapidly approaching the 🏁🏁 for the year 2022. (Jeez that seems like a big number) Another fine year of racing in the books. Anyone have any events that stuck out as their favorites from this year? I have 3. First was my trip to Husets. Fabulous facilities, great racing, and got to meet some great people. Second, was 2 nights of Smackdown. I usually only get to Saturday but got two in this year. Only bad things about it was Mr Funk Oppweld and Stevensville weren’t in attendance. But we did alright without them. Had great debates with KO, Yeleyfan76, and nodramazone20. And finally, the highlight of every year it was the 4 Crowns. It never disappoints. As it happens, more and more. Hanging with my friends at the track, enjoying a couple brews and conversations is almost as enjoyable as the racing itself. Let’s hear what’s your fondest event from 22

12/26/22, 1:28 PM   #2
Re: 22 highlights
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

B Main, Chili Bowl. Bryson starting about tenth or twelfth. Think six transfer to A. Everyone catfishes, Kylie runs cushion, Wins going away.

First Highlight to me for sure of 22 But not her only one, Springfield for sure!
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/26/22 at 1:29 PM.

12/26/22, 2:08 PM   #3
Stevensville Mike

Despite the on-again, off-again rain, Brent Marks winning big at the Kings Royal.

12/26/22, 2:39 PM   #4
cornerthree

BC 39 last 7 laps were insane. Midget week is always great some year I will be able to do the whole week. And the dirt miles are always a highlight. Only wished I lived closer to Indiana.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, JJMooney
12/26/22, 7:23 PM   #5
yeleyfan76

Smackdown is always the best event of the year. Our discussion with KO was quite fun as well. Eye opening for some I’d say. Cummins starting last and challenging for the win on last lap with only one yellow was the best race of the year. Don’t need to be handicapped to the top 6 via TT to be the show if you are good. Let’s hope for a great 2023. 55 our talks and of course local beer trade are highlights of every year. Happy New Year

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, bullringko, flagboy55, JJMooney, oldfan49
12/26/22, 10:03 PM   #6
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

I can’t even begin to remember specifics of races (like who won, which ones were maybe more exciting than others), but perhaps Dirtfan can. We hit Eastern Storm this year, my first trip. Glad to check that one off the list. I really enjoyed getting to Williams Grove before the bridge came down and the silver crown race at Port Royal was one of the best with Seavey with the last lap pass for the win (I do remember that one). ☺️

Also picked up Lakeside Speedway and I70 speedway and both were great races.

We make the most of every racing experience and we enjoy going to new tracks, although it’s getting more difficult to find ones neither of us have been to. After COVID, we don’t take racing for granted. We’ve seen it can come to a halt at anytime.

We are Looking forward to what 2023 brings!! 🏁

12/27/22, 11:17 AM   #7
BrentTFunk

I didn't see any bad shows this year. I thought everyone was good. The problem is the more races I see, the less details I remember about each. Here are some that stick out in no particular order.
Gas City SprintWeek opener. Even though Brady Bacon, Robert Ballou and C J Leary caught the most attention, it was Shane Cottle quietly doing his job coming deep in the field for the win.
Kokomo the next night. Two of the drivers who people tend to complain about Robert Ballou and Justin Grant slugged it out battling hard and clean.
Smackdown night 1. It was the only night that I made, spent the next 6 nights in the crash house. Kyle Cummins drove from the back after a flat for the win.
Springfield in October. Overnight steady rain helped produce the best Silver Crown race I have seen on a dirt mile since my first trip to DuQuoin in 1984.
I am sure I left off a few. These are the good ole days

12/27/22, 11:17 AM   #8
NoDramazone2020

Smackdown is always going to give us great racing. I will say the surprise of the year for me was the Extreme Sprint Event at Spoon River....wow, that place is bad fast. Would love to see NW there again someday.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, Hustlin-Hoosier, JJMooney, tirespinner
12/27/22, 5:17 PM   #9
Andrew S. Quinn

Going to Circle City for my 168th different speedway,and more importantly, arriving back home without getting hit by any rocks.

Going to Fairbury Illinois a week or so later for my 169th different speedway.

My neighbor growing up in Maine came out to visit on Labor Day weekend and we went to Gas City where the winner won from 9th,and I thought that was a decent night of racing. I hadnt been there since after Jiggs was there and the next promoter was going to run sprints and midgets every night and time trial them every week. The first night I didnt get home till 1:30 am,and decided I couldnt do that all the time after getting up up for work at 4am back then. I used to go there about every week before then.

We also went to Kokomo on Sunday night after Haubstadt rained out. I was originally going to take him there,as he's been to Kokomo before. LPS rained out on Saturday night,along with any place else for plans b and c etc etc.

We also had a busy weekend doing car stuff. His parents took me to the races with them when I was a kid,and he and I have always liked cars too. His dad had Studebaker wagons when we were young,so we went to the Studebaker Museum in South Bend one day then a cruise in at Cruz Pedregon's shop that night. Went to Auburn for the Auburn Cord Duesenburg festival on Friday and Saturday and stopped at Gas City on the way home. Went to a couple festivals with car shows on Sunday before going to Kokomo,and Monday we went to 3 more car shows,with one of them at Mt Lawn Speedway.

When I dropped him off at the airport Tuesday morning before I went to work he wanted to know how many miles we went,and we went 1350 miles that weekend in my 37 Buick Coupe. It likes to cruise at 80 mph,so thats the speed it went most of the weekend !

12/27/22, 5:32 PM   #10
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Bubbas in Feb is always great...I mean shorts, tee's and flip flops in Feb. can't go wrong there. Oh did I mention the Kinser/Davis Low Country Crab Boil on Sat. at noon
Enjoyed by many...Keith Kunz, Jack Hewitt, Shane Carson, T-Mez, Carson Short, Duke Cook (RIP), Bubba, Max Dolder and so many more. This Feb marks our 5th Annual K/D LCCB hosted by Sheldon Kinser Jr. and myself Wayne Davis Feb. 18th 12 noon...come join us, hang out and meet many racers and fans!!!

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, JJMooney, opnwhlmnd
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 22 highlights