IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom
11/23/20, 4:47 PM   #71
Re: Windom
revjimk

Is there a video of this? i watched on Flo & I don't think it was shown....

11/23/20, 8:27 PM   #72
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich45 View Post
Well, he did wear some pretty thick glasses.
Every time I read this I crack up. LOL

3 members like this post: erich45, i love dirt track racing, oppweld
11/23/20, 9:38 PM   #73
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
Every time I read this I crack up. LOL
Lol me too !!! I was standing about 5 feet from Brian Tyler after Butler took him out at Eldora. Butler said his usual “ I didn’t see you”. Tyler said “ Maybe you need some new glasses” and then punched him right in the face. Lol.

11/23/20, 10:30 PM   #74
flagboy55

As the dust settles on this controversy, if I were a racer, I would keep firmly planted in my mind, it’s ok to dump someone. Big Daddy has proven it at least twice. And finally, I’m not a Windom hater.
I hope we can all remember this if perhaps the roles are reversed

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, PIT CART
11/24/20, 4:44 PM   #75
sw1911

Remember this?
A scary incident during the closing laps of the feature event of last weekend’s USAC “Sprint Car Smackdown” at Kokomo Speedway has led to officials of The United States Auto Club (USAC) handing down penalties to one of the series most successful drivers.

The incident that led to the penalties started when Levi Jones made contact with Jon Stanbrough at the end of the front-stretch. The contact sent Stanbrough nearly head-on into the pit entrance gate at the start of turn one. Stanbrough’s car flipped violently back into oncoming racers where it was struck by Robert Ballou which caused his sprint car to flip as well and have the throttle stick wide open. Chad Boespflug was also collected in the huge incident.

Luckily, all drivers exited their cars with only Ballou leaving in an ambulance to receive treatment at a local hospital. After the incident Stanbrough walked down the front-stretch to have a little talk with Jones about what happened. After the race series officials spoke with both Jones and Stanbrough about the incident.

Officials also collected accounts of the incident from attending officials, eyewitness accounts, and track officials. The information collected led USAC officials to penalize Jones for on-track contact deemed to be avoidable and producing a dangerous situation for fellow competitors under section 10.28 of the competition rules. As a result, Jones will be placed under probation for the balance of the National Sprint Car season, with the understanding that further infractions could lead to more severe punishment. Also, Jones and his team will be docked 25 championship points going into the next series’ event at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach, Illinois this Friday, August 31st.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, i love dirt track racing, sc17x
11/24/20, 5:12 PM   #76
PIT CART

I remember that really well, it happened right in front me.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, Eatin Dirt
11/24/20, 5:22 PM   #77
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I believe after the fact he later got the points back. Also destroyed in the incident was Ryan Kaplan. I believe Ballou's owner called it quits after that debacle! Had this episode not taken place Stanbrough probably could have been USAC National Sprint Car Champion!
Last edited by oppweld; 11/24/20 at 5:25 PM.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, Eatin Dirt, PIT CART, sc17x
11/24/20, 7:25 PM   #78
Will Shunk

Thanks for the memory! I was standing in turn one directly watching the front straightaway with my PA buddies. Jones clearly fed Stanbrough a wheel mid straightaway. Stanbrough landed 3 feet from me. Everyone around this area of the pits saw it and could not believe what they just saw. As for 2020 and beyond, I fear we are aggressively testing the limits to the safety features at our tracks as well as our midget and sprint cars. We really do not need to lose anymore drivers.

2 members like this post: interpreter66, oppweld
11/24/20, 10:10 PM   #79
flagboy55

Dang it guys, you’re making it awfully difficult for me to defend my favorite sanctioning body. To be honest I’m having a hard time myself. This and the Buckwalter deal. I’ll give Chris credit, as far as I’ve heard he never said he didn’t commit either infraction.

11/25/20, 1:07 AM   #80
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
Remember this?
A scary incident during the closing laps of the feature event of last weekend’s USAC “Sprint Car Smackdown” at Kokomo Speedway has led to officials of The United States Auto Club (USAC) handing down penalties to one of the series most successful drivers.

The incident that led to the penalties started when Levi Jones made contact with Jon Stanbrough at the end of the front-stretch. The contact sent Stanbrough nearly head-on into the pit entrance gate at the start of turn one. Stanbrough’s car flipped violently back into oncoming racers where it was struck by Robert Ballou which caused his sprint car to flip as well and have the throttle stick wide open. Chad Boespflug was also collected in the huge incident.

Luckily, all drivers exited their cars with only Ballou leaving in an ambulance to receive treatment at a local hospital. After the incident Stanbrough walked down the front-stretch to have a little talk with Jones about what happened. After the race series officials spoke with both Jones and Stanbrough about the incident.

Officials also collected accounts of the incident from attending officials, eyewitness accounts, and track officials. The information collected led USAC officials to penalize Jones for on-track contact deemed to be avoidable and producing a dangerous situation for fellow competitors under section 10.28 of the competition rules. As a result, Jones will be placed under probation for the balance of the National Sprint Car season, with the understanding that further infractions could lead to more severe punishment. Also, Jones and his team will be docked 25 championship points going into the next series’ event at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach, Illinois this Friday, August 31st.
2012. i remember it well, also. Scary moment.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=62418

Page 1311 of the forum. You can follow all threads from there. Levi's penalty was also overturned by USAC later if I remember it correctly. I do recall, however, that I was hoping Stanbrough would have pulled Levi out of his car by his head that night.

And I am not a violent man....

Once again, eight years later, kudos to the Kokomo Speedway track safety crew that evening.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom