IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 8 tracks in Indiana join alliance.
1/8/14, 10:15 PM   #11
Re: 8 tracks in Indiana join alliance.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Not a possitive said yet?

I don't know what it is for certain, But if each track that joins for one thousand, five thousand, whatever it is and gets back 20 thousand for hanging a half dozen Mobile One, ATT, TORNADOs etc billboards, Thats a good thing and keeps the gate down. I know for a fact many tracks are at the break even or lose stage for WEEKLY SHOWS and are only able to do so by selling track sponsorship space.

People only look at the purses and don't include Electric, Fuel, employees, insurance etc.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/8/14 at 10:18 PM.

1/8/14, 10:32 PM   #12
DAD

Might be a gig in it for me and my "super jumping scooter" for the pre-race show.

I noticed the difference between NASCAR fans and open wheel fans when I went to the first Brick Yard Race. I loaded up my seat cushion in preparation for a long boring race. Those danged people did not sit down for the hole race and they were the only thing louder than the race cars. Wish I had thought to brought my ear plugs, but I was use to the noise of an Indy car going around there, boy was I wrong on that count too.

Honest Dad himself

1/8/14, 10:49 PM   #13
CRA91

Yea if he has his way you'll probably have to have a starter on your car to run at the Action Track since he thinks push trucks take to long to push off the main event.

1/8/14, 11:19 PM   #14
DAD

Terry

Sounds like a great idea to use starters. USAC was way ahead of that curve on that one. They did that with Midgets 20 years ago and it was a big big success.

Maybe a transmission for them big half mile tracks?

This is starting to sound Sounds like Mini Sprints isn't it, and to be honest we sure can run a race faster than other open wheel cars do.

Back in the day, starters weighed 35 pounds each and batteries weighed 65 pounds, a hundred pound of dead weight. Now 5 pounds for a starter and 5 more pounds for a battery. Maybe the time has come for self starters?? Thanks to USAC we already have the technology setting on the shelf.

BUT Starter's just fly in the face of old time racers, because "that is how we always done it". How could the push truck drivers get into the race anyhow?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/8/14 at 11:53 PM.

1 member likes this post: Spi-nex
1/9/14, 12:02 AM   #15
kdobson

Settle down with the conspiracy theories. This one is pretty simple. There's no Humpy taking over tracks or imposing his will or rules or anything else going on here. There's no checks tracks are sending Humpy's way to join this thing. The Wheeler's aren't making out like bandits on the backs of local race tracks.

We signed our Central Illinois tracks up awhile ago and Humpy or Trip aren't calling me telling me what classes to run, what purse to pay, what to charge at the gate or anything. In fact... I haven't heard a word from them regarding our racing operation... nor do they have any right to tell me how to run our operation on account of joining.

It works like this. (and I checked their website to make sure all of this was public)
1. You sign up at no cost.
2. You allow them to seek sponsorship from major corporations for the group of tracks - most of which I don't have a good contact at... or they have no interest in talking to some guy that runs a couple dirt tracks in Illinois.
3. They work out a deal for sponsorship - either cash, discounts or in-kind.
4. They tell the tracks what the deal is and each track can either take it or leave it for that sponsor.

Yes... I'm sure there's a nice cut built in for the Wheeler group, but who in America starts a business without seeing some potential for profit? It's not like I was going to walk into the corporate offices of Home Depot and walk out with a check on my own... and if I was able to do that on my own, I could simply say "Not interested Mr. Wheeler, I already have my own deal with them."

The more I think about it.. if Humpy Wheeler shows up at Jacksonville Speedway saying "I'm going to show you how to run this little joint"... I'm going say "Here are the keys, show me how a pro does it." I'm not counting on that happening anytime soon.

1/9/14, 12:19 AM   #16
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Terry

Sounds like a great idea to use starters. USAC was way ahead of that curve on that one. They did that with Midgets 20 years ago and it was a big big success.

Maybe a transmission for them big half mile tracks?

This is starting to sound Sounds like Mini Sprints isn't it, and to be honest we sure can run a race faster than other open wheel cars do.

Back in the day, starters weighed 35 pounds each and batteries weighed 65 pounds, a hundred pound of dead weight. Now 5 pounds for a starter and 5 more pounds for a battery. Maybe the time has come for self starters?? Thanks to USAC we already have the technology setting on the shelf.

BUT Starter's just fly in the face of old time racers, because "that is how we always done it". How could the push truck drivers get into the race anyhow?

Honest Dad himself
I hope your being sarcastic about it being a big success 20 yrs ago,as i recall it about killed midget racing in California with very low car counts and everyone i knew that ran a midget back then bitched and moaned about having to rebuild the clutch paks every few races and added another expense to running their car.

I realize that the componets today are way more advanced than they were 20yrs. ago,but I don't think they could hold up to the abuse of a 850 to 900 horsepower engine for very long without having to constantly rebuild them and thus adding to the cost of running a car which is already insane for the purses that we race for.I feel that going to starters would just put more car owners out of business due to the added costs.(JMO)

2 members like this post: DAD, mlamb
1/9/14, 12:26 AM   #17
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
Settle down with the conspiracy theories. This one is pretty simple. There's no Humpy taking over tracks or imposing his will or rules or anything else going on here. There's no checks tracks are sending Humpy's way to join this thing. The Wheeler's aren't making out like bandits on the backs of local race tracks.

We signed our Central Illinois tracks up awhile ago and Humpy or Trip aren't calling me telling me what classes to run, what purse to pay, what to charge at the gate or anything. In fact... I haven't heard a word from them regarding our racing operation... nor do they have any right to tell me how to run our operation on account of joining.

It works like this. (and I checked their website to make sure all of this was public)
1. You sign up at no cost.
2. You allow them to seek sponsorship from major corporations for the group of tracks - most of which I don't have a good contact at... or they have no interest in talking to some guy that runs a couple dirt tracks in Illinois.
3. They work out a deal for sponsorship - either cash, discounts or in-kind.
4. They tell the tracks what the deal is and each track can either take it or leave it for that sponsor.

Yes... I'm sure there's a nice cut built in for the Wheeler group, but who in America starts a business without seeing some potential for profit? It's not like I was going to walk into the corporate offices of Home Depot and walk out with a check on my own... and if I was able to do that on my own, I could simply say "Not interested Mr. Wheeler, I already have my own deal with them."

The more I think about it.. if Humpy Wheeler shows up at Jacksonville Speedway saying "I'm going to show you how to run this little joint"... I'm going say "Here are the keys, show me how a pro does it." I'm not counting on that happening anytime soon.

Thanks for Clarifying............Lots-a-idiots out there..........

4 members like this post: apexonephoto, DAD, fish, Kansasdirtfan
1/9/14, 12:38 AM   #18
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I guess my only mistake was that I suggested $$ to participate.
But i was close. Its about getting some corporate sponsorship money to tracks in return for exposure.

Have no idea where Dad and the others jumped the shark. Probably didn't even read the article. Just went Humpy Happy

1 member likes this post: apexonephoto
1/9/14, 12:39 AM   #19
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

sorry, I wasn't trying to be positive or negative, just some thoughts on how "colorful" the man seems to be.
Mr. Dobson, have you seen any results from your association in the form of sponsorships? I'd be interested to know how things are working out.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/9/14, 12:42 AM   #20
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

Like everyone else here, my 2 cents worth. ABC...Always Be Careful. Reminds me of the deal that if we put skirts and ground effects on our Silver Crown cars Nascar will make them their warm up band. See how that all worked out. JMO, bob

3 members like this post: CRA91, DAD, Dave Rudisell
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 8 tracks in Indiana join alliance.