IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Boss Atomic speedway
10/30/14, 4:31 AM   #11
Re: Boss Atomic speedway
hoosierdaddy

I'm just glad to see one of those yellow Buckeye cars with a race car driver in it....figured they were fast, just needed to someone to prove it

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
10/30/14, 6:57 AM   #12
flatout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrp4554 View Post
Go ask darland, clauson and bacon what they thought of it.
Just because they struggled on the the track or had a bad night does not make it a bad night for other drivers or the spectators. Plus you don't need to pitch them in the corner at Atomic like it was a bullring.

10/30/14, 10:56 AM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Looked like it was a great race to me

10/30/14, 10:22 PM   #14
pcabel04@yahoo.com

I seen Logan Hupp in that yellow car win at white water and it was a great race he can wheel that yellow car

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, JazzTrombonist
10/30/14, 10:36 PM   #15
Duane Hancock

An excellent race, your comment don't make sense. Just because their cars went away, they think the place stinks is your observation???? It was a great race with many guys having good runs

10/31/14, 6:43 AM   #16
Sprintcarfanatic

Well crap it's only fun iffn yur winnin or up front. I believe if it wasn't for the caution he'd a finished 3rd at the Field. Our locals don't have the name Darland, Clauson so on & so forth but they are pretty racy.

Todd Kane makes Lewie's car a mover & a shaker.

When was the last time Atomic ran non wing ?

3 members like this post: flatout, i love dirt track racing, Will Shunk
10/31/14, 7:26 AM   #17
nonwing77

2011 was the first official boss race at atomic, think it was still called kc that year. Justin grant was the winner.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, JazzTrombonist
10/31/14, 8:26 AM   #18

There was also a rained out USAC sprint race that never made it much past hot laps, I believe. Maybe in 2010?

I can tell you from running there most wing shows this year that track owner Brad McCown would rather it not be quite that slick & dusty-probably to his detriment this year, as they fought it being soft and getting rough as the night went on many evenings, causing many torn up cars. With the help of the Brushcreek track prep crew and equipment, I'm sure the main goal for last weekend was to be smooth and racy and not tear up everyone's car. They absolutely accomplished that. As much as I like tackier tracks and cushions, even I can't deny that the racing was pretty darn good. I expected it to take rubber because the top half of the track was never touched all weekend, but they poured the water to it and really tried to pound the slime in with the sheepsfoot. Don't think it ever did take rubber.

Saturday, they overwatered a little before we started and got it too slimy. The water coming out of the sheepsfoot holes left over from that may have been why Mitch Harble and I both spun in the same spot in the non-qualifiers race. Sucked Josh Davis got caught in that.

What I can tell the guys that were new to the track is I'm just glad that Atomic has an owner and family & crew that is absolutely not afraid to take chances and that puts in the serious physical effort and promotional work that KC/Atomic (and many other tracks) have lacked for so long. Brad doesn't see eye to eye with everyone, but he will tell you straight what he thinks and doesn't seem to play games with anyone. That's all you can ask for in my book. Adam Strausser
Last edited by 6565; 10/31/14 at 8:36 AM.

10/31/14, 11:38 AM   #19
Will Shunk

[QUOTE=Charles Nungester;396750]Looked like it was a great race to me

I watched the heat races and they were spread out and just sliding around with no passing. The feature did have close racing for 20 laps but strung out after that on the hard slick. It looked like an ideal surface for winged racing, not so much for non wing. Compared to the Kokomo Klash I witnessed a few weeks back, this looked like a snoozer. I guess this buckeye prefers nw on a tacky track with multiple RACING grooves. Atomic has great potential for nw racing with nw track prep in mind. Since the wing cars were the headliner, the nw guys get a track that is suited to the top dogs. Good luck to all involved in making Atomic an Ohio track for growing nw and BOSS in 2015!

10/31/14, 5:52 PM   #20
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

You know, Im the first to B**TCH when a track goes dry slick and honestly, Im usually right and the racing suffers. But I've seen some great Dry Slickie races. Especially if the track goes totally slick and not just around the fast lane where everyone has to hit the rubber to go forward.

I seen some drivers say they couldn't get ahold of the track, That the track was too slicked and hard. Even seen pics from Saturday Morning where they basically just sheeps footed and watered from Fri Night. But that video shows a good race, Thats what I go to see, Sure we all want 100mph average and monster sliders but four wide and close is good too.

One night that amazed me a couple three years ago was a USAC race at LPS, The track went super slick, Casey Shuman was kissin he tires looking like he was doing 20mph around the track, others were hauling and smashing the cushion for all it was worth. But it was two and three wide for the lead. Casey broke with two to go and Stanbrough who fell back to eighth at one point won on the last corner of the last lap running right through the middle.

That video shows three and four wide, Ballou didn't grab the lead till about half way, It went green for 35 of the 40. And Ballou who may be one of the least experienced at that track won and Kane who probably has only the second most on that track to Danny Smith was second.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Boss Atomic speedway