Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Streaming numbers
10/27/21, 5:49 PM   #11
Re: Streaming numbers
racenut69

Once again,K.Dobson nails it!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
FlagBoy - Yes, I thanked DirtVision for playing a significant role in allowing us to make $2,000 to win wing shows a part of our regular program. If you go back over the past decade we had been working toward that but could never quite get over the hump. Don't kid yourself into thinking the payment to a small niche track in Central Illinois that people outside of the Midwest have barely heard of turns the weekly P&L on it's head... but it picks up that gap of where I think we've been short or reluctant in putting a quality show together every night. It allows us to more confidently put on a show that our fans generally turn out to see - even in weeks when you are fighting clouds, cold, high school football, a local festival or similar things. I know that we can at least get close to our target to make the checks clear on Monday. In our case that extra revenue is figured into a purse that we wouldn't otherwise pay. In essence it goes to the racers, but the intangibles of having a better program, the exposure it brings to the track, the engagement it creates with our fans is what we hope in time drops a little extra to our bottom line.

We do it a little different in that a core promise we try to keep is that all of our events will be on one platform. Without a doubt that limits us in scheduling some specials that might be aligned with our friends at another streaming provider, but it lets me tell our fans, the racers, their wives, aunts, uncles, grandparents, the bars in town, old-timers that can't get to the track as often etc. that if you purchase a single subscription you will see absolutely everything that happens at our track. The trade-off in giving up some special events that might not be able to be broadcast on DV, is that our races on the rest of the nights are better, higher quality with more exposure etc. And by no means is that exclusivity a requirement of DV - just something we think is an important expectation of locals when they subscribe.

There's no doubt it has been good as we continue to try to build a quality reputation and brand. The quality of production we have coming out of here each week, along with the extra eyeballs is also something that is valuable in convincing the powers-that-be in town that having a race track making noise on Fridays in the middle of town is beneficial. When locals that aren't into racing come across our highlight clips on social media, we will regularly hear about how "big time" the race track in town must be. Who would want to kill one of the only things bringing notoriety to your town?

Finally, every track has a different market - but for us, DirtVision was the perfect fit because the majority of tracks are primarily wing tracks and the number of programs on a given night won't bury us in the offerings. Usually we are one of two or three different things on DV when we race - not 20. Plus, when you fancy yourself a wing sprint car track and you get to keep company with the World of Outlaws, Knoxville, Husets, Williams Grove and Attica... I mean really? We will gladly put on our clip-on tie and try to mingle at that party!

5 members like this post: Dirtfan, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, mc/rider, tirespinner
10/28/21, 12:47 AM   #12
Re: Streaming numbers
djbamber

IIRC. When Stafford Srings signed on as Flo Racings first paved track earlier this year the track announced a $40k bonus to the racers, supposedly thanks to Flo.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
10/31/21, 3:06 AM   #13
flagboy55

I know I speak for most folks on hear when I say Thanks Kenny for chiming in, always insightful. During racing season we usually have 4 TVs going in the garage. Sometimes it’s just me watching but a lot of time it’s a half dozen or so having some fun drinking a couple beers and watching racing. We go to the races we want to, but now we get to watch them all. Streaming never keeps us from going to the track, because the track is always the best experience. Just wish the big Indiana Sprint tracks would get on Flo so I could turn off one of the Late Model streams 😂

2 members like this post: billw, chrismattlin
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Streaming numbers