IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Leffler Memorial
10/22/16, 9:53 PM   #1
Leffler Memorial
dwvet@att.net

I'm sorry folks if it's just me, however I was totally disappointed with the competition at this event last night. No dought Brady Bacon was the car to beat, I'm all great with that. My disappointment is going to richest Midget Race in the country and then see a track like there was last night. I'm sure I will hear about the weather & lucky the event got to run last night. I won't buy it. This is a awesome facility, good reasonable price food, someone put togeather a very nice event shirt, large money purse, money possibly given to a fan, you can go on about all the great things in this event and the best is that there giving money to Charlie & a great family I feel. All that work and
then produce that kind of racing surface. This is only my opinion however I was very disappointed with the racing surface. Oh, the only other negative? $2.00 to park! Not so much the money as it is principle.

10/22/16, 11:11 PM   #2
Re: Leffler Memorial
bart

1/2 empty, 1/2 full

I sure wish there was midget racing locally I could attend.
Amazing to get to see POWRi and USAC greats at one event.
Wish I would have had a chance to shake Frank Manafort's hand and thank him for hiring Bacon.
Would have loved to see Darland, Coons, Loyet and all the other amazing drivers I only get to see once a year (when I drive 5 hours).

Be thankful for what you have.

Bart

10/22/16, 11:20 PM   #3
jim goerge

The $2.00 is a donation for trips for the high school is what I was told by the young ladies last year. Was told you could park with out paying too. Considering the rain they got I:m happy they got the race in so there my part about the weather , I really don"t know what they could have done different with the track yeah that hole in turn one was pretty rough but every driver knew it was there. Maybe next year you could go and give them pointers since you seem to know about track prep.

10/23/16, 2:29 PM   #4
BrentTFunk

I wasn't there, but watched the video. It wasn't great, but I didn't think it was bad, considering all the rain they had. I would take that over a black, slick track any day.

10/23/16, 2:51 PM   #5
SDHill89

If you were there you had to walk through the parking lot to get to the track so you know how soft the ground was. There's not much they can do about that. Yes, I wish the track was like it was last year but it's a dirt track, it's not always perfect, and you can say you don't buy the weather effecting track conditions but the simple fact is the weather effects dirt tracks. Also the $2 to park is nothing. $2 to park plus $15 to get in the race. That's $17 to watch over 40 USAC and POWRi midgets race for $20,000. I regularly pay much more than that to see lesser paying shows with smaller car counts.

10/23/16, 7:01 PM   #6
Rpracing1

Yanno, just can't please some folks. I thought track was good and was the same for all. I was very happy to be there!

Feature had Bright from 16th to 6th, Bayston from 15th to 8th, Coons from 20th to 10th.
Last edited by Rpracing1; 10/24/16 at 10:44 AM.

10/23/16, 11:18 PM   #7
dwvet@att.net

Wow my bad!!!! Sorry folks. Look back at the start of my post, Sorry if it's only me! No dought it is only me. I know everyone races on the same track and all the drivers know the condition of the track. If you enjoyed the racing Friday night that's awesome, great & glad you stand up for what you like. Sorry I can't join your side. As for the comment advising help next year for track. Start by getting that road grader out and using it and then have something more than a utility tractor with at most a 200 gallon tank that couldn't put out enough water that they got it off before it made (1) complete lap. For "ME", what makes a good race is race cars passing each other, slide jobs & multiple grooves. I challenge everyone of you to look at the starting & finishing results of each race Friday night, other than the cars that either spun out or cought in a tangle how much passing there was. Point being, if you didn't start up front you weren't finishing up front. Just look at the feature race. There were so many cautions that the leaders never got into lap traffic. Every time they were starting to get into lap cars caution came out again. Remember, I'm "SORRY" that I didn't enjoy the "Racing", ( remember my compliments in my first post ) glad you all enjoyed it. One thing for sure, if you can except that type of racing action as good you will never see a bad race and that's awesome.
Sweet dreams!

10/23/16, 11:41 PM   #8
dwvet@att.net

I'm very happy for what we have, guess that's why I express my disappointment. I estimate that I have attended 30 plus dirt car races this year. Several being Power-I or USAC. I comment on ONE in a negative matter only as constructive crtisism. I would be very happy to share names of some of the different people that work on different tracks I attend. I'm sure they will tell everyone that I will be one to compliment a good race surface as well as discuss what may have caused a lesser quality track surface.

10/24/16, 1:27 AM   #9
wrtracing

I don't post much but I do go to quite a few races. I thought now might be a good time to give my opinion on the Leffler Memorial race. Remember it is just my opinion and I am not discounting what someone else might think. I thought that after the tremendous amount of rain they did an excellent job of getting the whole facility ready for the night's event. I was talking to a couple of the photographer's before the race and they thought there were probably going to be some holes & ruts in the corners because of all the rain. I immediately said "great"! They looked at me kind of funny and I explained that I like a race track that has some character and requires thought & skill which Brady Bacon showed plenty of. Some of my favorite tracks are Belle-Clair, Jacksonville and Macon. I love these tracks because they are never exactly the same from race to race. I thought it was pretty darn good racing for a little bull ring. Had Larson & Pittman been there and Daum and Stenhouse not had trouble it would have been even better but that is racing. I love racing because you can't write a script for it. But the best part of the evening for me was sitting up in the stands and watching USAC & POWRi put their differences aside for an evening and co-sanction a race and do a tremendous job. I don't want to show favoritism to either side but as soon as there was a problem on the race track one of the pit vehicles was there and they were either restarted, pushed to the infield, pits or pushed to the work area very, very quickly. They had all of the right pit vehicles out there and it was quite evident as there were lots of yellow flags and a few red flags as well and they kept the show rolling. In closing I would like to thank Doug Stringer, Great Clips, the USAC staff led by Levi Jones and the POWRi staff led by Kenny Brown for a great evening of racing!

There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way.

Christopher Morley
Last edited by wrtracing; 10/24/16 at 1:29 AM. Reason: spelling

10/25/16, 5:16 PM   #10
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

If they are charging to park they should make that known. Is it cheap, yes; is it better than adding $2 to the cost of each ticket, yes; but if they are charging that they need to say it so people don't feel duped. It's a principal and fairness. The extra $2 in no way makes this event any less of a bargain or take away value... but gotta be up front.
Had I went, I would have been upset to find out when pulling in it was pay to park. Gotten over it about 95% but still had a little sour taste in my mouth.
Same thing where I did go to LOR for the ARCA race and ads for 2 weeks about price and come out and on and on and never mentioned once a parking charge, I pull in and sure enough $5 to park. Good chance I will not be back; which honestly is unfair to Mr. Sargent, but he could have put in his ads that LOR was charging $5 to park; then I could have make a more informed decision. Instead I'm still a little sour at both.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Leffler Memorial