IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown Spectacular at Terre Haute
10/18/16, 7:39 AM   #11
Re: Silver Crown Spectacular at Terre Haute
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
OK, since you asked, I'll tell you how this relative newcomer feels. I see that the guys who've been around sprint cars for a long time love the "big cars", seems like a very nostalgic thing
To me, they're bigger, heavier cars with 360 engines. I don't see the point
Sorry....
Don't surprise me none.

10/18/16, 8:00 AM   #12
miledirt

I do believe that the series needs one kind of premier event in it's schedule. Maybe not 50k, but even 20k to win with a good purse spread throughout the field. I realize it's all about finding a sponsor and the right date. DuQuoin would be my preference.

Instead of fans wandering if there will be another open wheel guy make it to IndyCar or who will be next for the NASCAR feeder system... I would be more excited about seeing who qualifies for and wins a bigger more prestigious USAC champ car (Silver Crown) event.

3 members like this post: HardyBoysRacing, SpfldMile, sprinter31
10/18/16, 8:24 AM   #13
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
I do believe that the series needs one kind of premier event in it's schedule. Maybe not 50k, but even 20k to win with a good purse spread throughout the field. I realize it's all about finding a sponsor and the right date. DuQuoin would be my preference.

Instead of fans wandering if there will be another open wheel guy make it to IndyCar or who will be next for the NASCAR feeder system... I would be more excited about seeing who qualifies for and wins a bigger more prestigious USAC champ car (Silver Crown) event.
I like this.
In the so called nonexistent perfect world the winner of the Champ car finale would get a ride in a Indy Light car (do they still exist?) for the next season.
Never will happen but I would like it.
doesn't accomplish anything but sure does kill time.

10/18/16, 8:58 AM   #14
RynoK1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
I like this.
In the so called nonexistent perfect world the winner of the Champ car finale would get a ride in a Indy Light car (do they still exist?) for the next season.
Never will happen but I would like it.
doesn't accomplish anything but sure does kill time.
Considering a decent Indy Lights ride currently costs over a million, not a chance that will happen sadly. At no fault of their own, most of these drivers have never run a road course outside of Karting in their lives. So a full season deal in Lights wouldn't be really possible off the bat.

Jonathan Byrd's, who sponsored BC, put up everything from a Freedom 100 ride (Indy Lights @ IMS), to a Lights deal on all the ovals (typically 3) and an Indy 500 ride with a few races in Indy Lights beforehand. http://usacracing.com/news/midget/it...avenue-to-indy

Considering a USF2000 ride can run at half a million, and that is for the lowest level in the MRTI, I don't think we'll see any drivers coming from Midgets, Sprints, Crowns up to the ladder to Indianapolis. They also only have 1 oval, IRP. It makes a lot more sense to place your sponsor dollars into a few Truck races, ARCA ride or K&N deals to advance your career.

10/18/16, 10:42 AM   #15
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Why look to make a path for our USAC stars to find a way out? Maybe the answer is to make it more profitable and prestige's to stay and race here?

10/18/16, 3:53 PM   #16
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Why look to make a path for our USAC stars to find a way out? Maybe the answer is to make it more profitable and prestige's to stay and race here?
Yep one mans prestigious is another mans whats this crap ?
It really wasn't to long ago having a usac sticker on your car was a big deal. I guess not so much anymore.
I still believe 100% that the best drivers with guts to match always have and always will be wheeling a usac dirtcar of some kind and personally I'd know as a racer that I made it if I was racing one.
Of course that don't pay the bills.

2 members like this post: bighd0522, davidm
10/18/16, 4:22 PM   #17
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Absolutely. In the words of Yogi Berra "its deja vu all over again". USAC missed the boat by thinking and promoting itself as only a stepping stone to Indy some nearly 30 years ago. Ignoring the fact that Penske and his followers had already put the stamp of road racing and its style on American open wheel racing. So a guy from down in Texas formed this "Outlaw" thing and guess what? Even though USAC has a superior product try to convince a big sponsor or the casual fan of that.

4 members like this post: Backitin, cornerthree, davidm, The Old Coyote
10/18/16, 9:50 PM   #18
Jonr

At this point, I kind of miss Don Moore complaining about tire companies........

Once again, there are two main factors working against your idea. One is supply equals demand and the other is risk versus reward. However, there are several other problems with this particular idea.

If there was a bigger demand from the fans for more Silver Crown races, there would be a bigger supply. If every time a promoter put on a SC race, he made money hand over fist there would be more Silver Crown races. If there were 50+ cars at every track and the promoter could count on a big back gate, there would be more SC races. Except for some "traditional" dates, the crowd that a SC race will draw is very suspect. Also, except for the few "traditional" dates, the car count for a SC race is very suspect. Also, the fan base for a SC crown race is a niche group in a niche sport which translates into a very small population. Promoters will book shows that make money. As much as modifieds get railed against on this board, there is a reason that promoters are always creating special shows for them. There are a lot of them. There are a lot of drivers, and they usually have a lot of fans. Why are there not a lot of SC shows? A lack of cars, a lack of drivers and a lack of fans.

When the average fan has to determine their "must see" races for the year, a SC race usually is not on the list. Start with a simple head to head completion. Would the average fan rather watch a SC race or a USAC sprint car race? A SC race or a midget race? I would even say a SC race or a WOO race? I think for the vast majority of people the SC races looses every head to head battle.

Finally, back to your original question. You stated that you would have plenty of cars. My question is how many competitive cars are actually still out there? It is not like these cars are raced all of the time. As someone else posted, what is your ticket price for this event? Go back to my first point, there is not a big demand for a SC race. Ask the average fan if they would rather go to 3 non sanctioned wingless shows, 2 USAC sprint car shows, or one SC show? Which one are they picking? Finally, you stated that you would have plenty of drivers. Where are these drivers coming from? As the SC fields become smaller and smaller, the number of experienced drivers becomes smaller and smaller.

Unless you grew up with the tradition of the SC cars, it is hard to become a fan of them.

2 members like this post: fish, flagboy55
10/19/16, 7:08 AM   #19
flagboy55

Jonr, most of what you post is spot on. Now if they were going to have this big SC dream race that at Terre Haute with all the best wheel men, and a bunch of real good car's, I would then make it a must see race for the year, but as someone else said it would take a perfect world, and it's certainly not. If you need proof, take a look at our upcoming ********,

10/19/16, 7:38 AM   #20
Backitin

Someone mentioned that unless you grew up with the tradition of SC cars its hard to be a fan.
The exact same thing can be said for midgets anywhere in the country except for maybe Indiana. Nobody here especially the young fan knows or cares what a midget is nor do they want to be educated about them. Couldn't give a %@#&.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown Spectacular at Terre Haute