IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sweet Owen Speedway
1/11/09, 10:13 PM   #11
Re: Sweet Owen Speedway
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Sweet Owen Speedway, just west of Vandalia In on IN46W. Dale DuBois built and operated that track for a few years.I used to operate a wrecker there when it was open. Had I have known SHORTBUS at that time I would have drug him into the woods and left him:rolling. GO FAST who posts here, his Dad raced there when it was open.Dale DuBois raced a modified at Bloomington Speedway until just past three years or so.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

3 members like this post: JEFFSTOY, jim goerge, tirespinner
1/11/09, 10:32 PM   #12
HurstBros0

Sweet Owen ... I went there once with Dad and Mike Johnson. Mike drove a car in every race they had that night . There was a 46 (maybe) Chevy sedan that didn`t have any back doors . I was 8 or 9 and I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Also the track owner must have been a Marty Robbins fan because I remember listening to "Big Iron" many times before the races started.

Dan Hurst

1/11/09, 10:59 PM   #13
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by babcock14d View Post
you didn't want to go off turn 3, you were looking at the tree tops and it was a long way to the bottom!:Steer
In 68/69 sprint car racing was good I was driving Jim Waltz 21 charlie car following Bob Black he picked up a rock with rr and hit me above r eyeoff turn 4 got STOPPED in turn 1 BLOOD was so thick cant see where to stop, but it was FUN we think??????????? Butch Wilkerson#1

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
1/11/09, 11:00 PM   #14
Butch47265

:checkered::checkered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babcock14d View Post
you didn't want to go off turn 3, you were looking at the tree tops and it was a long way to the bottom!:Steer
In 68/69 sprint car racing was good I was driving Jim Waltz 21 charlie car following Bob Black he picked up a rock with rr and hit me above r eyeoff turn 4 got STOPPED in turn 1 BLOOD was so thick cant see where to stop, but it was FUN we think??????????? Butch Wilkerson#1:checkered::checkered::checkered:

1/12/09, 1:12 AM   #15
RBL56

Alan Barr won the race that day and Bob Black was 2nd.

1/12/09, 9:56 AM   #16
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfan View Post
sweet owen speedway, just west of vandalia in on in46w. Dale dubois built and operated that track for a few years.i used to operate a wrecker there when it was open. Had i have known shortbus at that time i would have drug him into the woods and left him:rolling. Go fast who posts here, his dad raced there when it was open.dale dubois raced a modified at bloomington speedway until just past three years or so.
dan,
do you remember the old freedom - new hope speedway.it was located right next to the drag strip.only ran about two years.
Won the biggest feature there.beating denny cambell in a 50 lapper.

1/12/09, 10:10 AM   #17
midget96

My dad raced there.:Steer He grew up in Owen County. One time after the army he and some of his army buddies parachuted out of a plane and landed in the middle of the track and went racing.:respect::O: How cool. We also watched super 8 movies this weekend of dad and his brother racing at Eureka Speedway down here by Bedford. The ol' pond in turn 3 and 4 was hit a couple of times.:applaud:

1/12/09, 11:21 AM   #18
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTBUS View Post
dan,
do you remember the old freedom - new hope speedway.it was located right next to the drag strip.only ran about two years.
Won the biggest feature there.beating denny cambell in a 50 lapper.
Sure do, the Wise family opened the New Hope Speeedway back in the early 70'S

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1/12/09, 12:05 PM   #19
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

My dad ran there in stock cars and sprints in the early 70's. A violent sprint car crash caused him to loose interest in further driving duties. He later fielded cars for Jack Dubois, "Shorty Deckard" and a few others. At one time the track had a 6 cylinder class running some pretty hot in-line Chevys.

As a kid my normal Saturday was loading up and heading to Sweet Owen in the
early afternoon. Playing with some Matchbox cars in the dirt behind the grandstand until the racing started. Then after the races, stopping at the El Patio motel/restaurant for a Pizza Burger at 1 AM.
Last edited by Go Fast; 1/13/09 at 9:20 AM.

1/12/09, 1:26 PM   #20
snoopy

Hey Sam Sr, Wasn't Rosie in charge at Sweet Owen?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sweet Owen Speedway