IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Insurance on trailer and contents?
10/21/16, 4:34 PM   #1
Insurance on trailer and contents?
TBarks

I'm looking for suggestions on an insurance policy to cover my trailer and if possible contents. These thieves have made me think. Also if we'd wreck it we'd be out quite a bit as well. I can google and find some companies but I'd like to hear from those with experience. My normal company will insure my trailer but no contents. Does anyone do that? Curious to hear. Thanks.

1 member likes this post: DAD
10/21/16, 4:55 PM   #2
badcoupe

Often wondered the same my ins co asked what the trailer was worth by itself and that was all. I asked if my truck insurance would pick up value of contents and they didn't have an answer. I have a good friend who owns a ins company that I don't currently go through but intend to ask him if he offers like that. If I find out I'll make a post.

10/21/16, 5:41 PM   #3
Re: Insurance on trailer and contents?
awc#2

This is my experience, My race car and four wheeler wasn't in the trailer and everything else was stolen.my insurance for my trailer is only covered it in a accident,my home owners insurance covered only my tools ,only because I am ASE certified mechanic and was a rider on that.

10/21/16, 5:52 PM   #4
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarks View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on an insurance policy to cover my trailer and if possible contents. These thieves have made me think. Also if we'd wreck it we'd be out quite a bit as well. I can google and find some companies but I'd like to hear from those with experience. My normal company will insure my trailer but no contents. Does anyone do that? Curious to hear. Thanks.

I got a little thing that will call you when your trailer moves a couple of hundred feet and then you can physically track it on you smart phone. You can call the police or negotiate the return of the trailer for yourself. If you like it will also apply your electric brakes for you.

Honest Dad himself

7 members like this post: Blackduce, fish, kart31rac, Nate, PIT CART, racer-x, trannyman
10/21/16, 10:20 PM   #5
TQ97

In most cases, your home owners won't cover the contents of the trailer. Had a friend have a quarter midget stolen out of his trailer. Insurance didn't cover car or parts, covered the generator though and maybe some other tools. I checked into it shortly after and there are some motorsport speciality companies that will cover it (just Google it). If I recall, it was approximately $1000/year for $50,000 of coverage.

10/21/16, 11:12 PM   #6
copper14

my company said my home owners policy would pay for everything except the car.our shop was broken into about ten years ago and they paid for all the tools no questions asked.we did have a police report.also no strangers get in our shop to see what we have.

1 member likes this post: wvwildthg
10/22/16, 3:18 AM   #7
red22

Tom Johnson specializes in race car and trailer insurance. Very reasonable and worth every penny. I have insured all my race cars and trailers along with contents for many years with Tom. They are covered on the road or in the shop. His phone number is 317-841-5088. Thank You Bill Throckmorton.

4 members like this post: 99racing, Blackduce, interpreter66, tirespinner
10/29/16, 11:56 PM   #8
wvwildthg

Where did u get that setup? The smart phone thing...
Last edited by wvwildthg; 10/29/16 at 11:59 PM.

10/30/16, 2:37 PM   #9
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Every race team should have a GPS tracking device in their trailer and their race car. It's stupid not to.

10/30/16, 7:55 PM   #10
Hurryinhoosier

I insured mine with Hagerty this summer. We had a friend who lost his trailer and its contents to fire and that was my wake up call to get it done. I insured my race car, trailer, and all contents all on the same policy.
One week after i insured it a storm blew my awning off the trailer and as bad as I hated to I called them and they had an appraiser out in 48 hours and a check in 8 days.

I can get you the info if someone wants...Im not sure if its against forum rules or not to post it.

FYI... I drag race, the car is covered any time its not on the race surface. In the pits, in the lanes, in the trailer, anywhere but the actual race track.

2 members like this post: CSmith66, interpreter66
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Insurance on trailer and contents?