IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Illinois Midget Week
6/3/14, 2:43 PM   #31
Re: Illinois Midget Week
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K View Post
Any chance of LaSalle getting an IL midget week or separate POWRi race at some point?

I think midgets or non-wing sprints would put on a great show there, and it would be a draw for fans in northern IL, but don't know if there's a reason why it hasn't happened.
S2K, we live about 30-40 minutes from La Salle Speedway and they've tried several times to run midgets and wingless sprints. At one time they had a Bob Tattersall Memorial race there since Bob was from Streator, IL which is also 30-40 minutes from La Salle. It seemed they just couldn't get a decent car count and the crowd was pretty sparse as well. I believe the last time midgets ran La Salle they had 7 cars and the crowd was very thin.

However, we went to the MOWA winged show there last August and they had a good car count and a better than average crowd, as well. Only thing I can figure is the local sprint car guys have a large following that maybe the touring midgets and sprints don't bring with them.

La Salle is in the heart of dirt late model purgatory and it seems that tracks like Fairbury, Kankakee and La Salle won't draw cars or crowds for the open wheel genre.

6/3/14, 3:37 PM   #32
pat54

Another good eating place to consider when you are in Quincy is a new restaurant called Chicks On The River at 236 N. Front Street. Not sure about their hours, but know they are open for lunch and through the evening. Ph (217) 222-5477. Mike Clark took us to eat at Chicks On The Square in Macomb, IL, last year and the food was terrific. They are popular for their "Lips" which are big, meaty chicken breasts hand cut in the shape of a chicken's beak, then hand battered and deep fried before being dipped in buffalo lip sauce or bbq lip gloss! We also tried a pizza and a chicken lip nacho dish, all of which were very good. Mike's daughter owns the restaurant and has had such a big success with the one in Macomb, they just expanded to the one in Quincy so I am excited about getting to go there. We are looking forward to it while on this racing tour. Hey, Mike -- you buying??? Oh yeah, they also have a full bar, but then I don't know that that would matter to racing fans, would it?

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, kart31rac, racenut69, wrtracing
6/3/14, 4:42 PM   #33
addictedtodirt

Do any of the tracks have a signature concession item? I didn't get this body eating just lettuce.

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, Hot Rod K., racenut69
6/3/14, 5:00 PM   #34
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

I generally never make it past the popcorn but Macon has pretty gd pulled pork samiches ( the spicy sauce is truly spicy). They also have a lemonade shake up refill deal that's a gd deal .

1 member likes this post: addictedtodirt
6/3/14, 6:32 PM   #35
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

What about O'griffs Brew house?

6/3/14, 6:47 PM   #36
Tim Watson

How's the weather looking? I know you can't base a decision on the weather but coming this distance i always like to have an idea on temps and possible precipitation.

6/3/14, 6:56 PM   #37
kdobson

We expect to get a good amount of wet stuff from Tue night through Wed afternoon. After that things look dry and nice for Thurs. We should be fine Thurs and Fri.

1 member likes this post: Tim Watson
6/3/14, 6:58 PM   #38
dirt in ur beer
Banned

What time spectator gates open ?

6/3/14, 7:35 PM   #39
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Ogriffs brew house...Food is average bar food . I guess they have some craft brews idk . When I was a practicing raging alcoholic if it didn't taste like miller lite I wasn't interested ! Oh and answer my own question ... Gates open at 5

6/3/14, 9:12 PM   #40
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
We expect to get a good amount of wet stuff from Tue night through Wed afternoon. After that things look dry and nice for Thurs. We should be fine Thurs and Fri.
Thanks for the info.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Illinois Midget Week