IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Backitin (Offline)
  #1 8/3/16 5:52 PM
I've bought titled and registered countless motorcycles. I always believed that if the seller had a clean title in hand you were good to go. Not so much. We bought a used Dyna Glide Harley a few weeks ago from a car dealer, we paid in cash.
Spend about a $ 1000.00 to license it. Got my plate, temp. reg.
A couple days ago I get a letter from the PA dept of transportation. They refuse to title or license the bike stating that it was declared junked by a previous owner according to the insurance national registry. Adding to the grief is that PA stated that the $ 1000.00 spend on taxes, plate ect. has been deposited, as in poof your money is gone.
The dealer will not work with me at all except that I can bring the bike back and get my original money spent. He let it slip to my wife that he kinda knew something might have been up before he sold us the bike. I would be out 1000 bucks and the bike would be for sale again probley the same day.
Now I've spent countless hours the last couple weeks getting her ready for our first drag race next Friday night, not to mention fitting drag bars ect.
I'm almost ready to say screw it it's pretty much going to be a drag bike anyhow.
To make a long story short check not only the title but the national insurance registry also.
2 Likes: Avon Open Wheel fan, dirtball
Speedwrench (Offline)
  #2 8/3/16 8:48 PM
Stolen bike with a VIN switch ?
Backitin (Offline)
  #3 8/4/16 8:04 AM
Originally Posted by Speedwrench:
Stolen bike with a VIN switch ?
The bike has a dent in the tank and scratched saddlebags. It went down at some point, that I knew.
Its more likely that the bike was declared totaled which doesn't take much cosmetic damage on a harley. I believe that the person who put in the insurance claim was paid but didn't turn in the "clean title" as required. Then insurance fraud was committed by them fixing the bike and reselling it. Its quite the learning experience, I believed 100% if you had a clean title in hand you were good. I'm also sure the dealer was in on the scam.
Guys always go the extra mile and check beyond the title.
It will save you a lot of grief as now my lawyer is dealing with it. On a positive note no way I'm bringing in back and losing my $1000.00. I'm holding onto it till our lawyer or the courts figure it out or don't. Next week we start racing it, I love the bike and if worse comes to worse I'll turn it into a full on drag bike. Years ago I would have reacted differently, people would be beat and a dealership would be full of smashed Harleys. I'd sit for awhile, no big deal. I used to be a bit mean spirited.
Its amazing the grace children add to your life.
2 Likes: dirtball, Z-man
TQ29m (Offline)
  #4 8/4/16 11:35 AM
I have a friend who bought an F350 diesel crewcab off a co-worker, "clear title", thought something odd about where it was located, drug it home, got it running, applied for new title and plates, about a week later, State Police came to his office, and almost had him in cuffs before he could explain, turns out his "buddy" had been out in some big rock area, hit one, and broke the transfer case, then "hid" it, and reported it stolen, then after about 3 yrs, figured it was cleared, and sold it, my friend got to keep the truck, and his "buddy" got a couple of years to rethink it! Big Brother is watching! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
2 Likes: Bostonian, dirtball
REH24 (Offline)
  #5 8/4/16 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Backitin:
I've bought titled and registered countless motorcycles. I always believed that if the seller had a clean title in hand you were good to go. Not so much. We bought a used Dyna Glide Harley a few weeks ago from a car dealer, we paid in cash.
Spend about a $ 1000.00 to license it. Got my plate, temp. reg.
A couple days ago I get a letter from the PA dept of transportation. They refuse to title or license the bike stating that it was declared junked by a previous owner according to the insurance national registry. Adding to the grief is that PA stated that the $ 1000.00 spend on taxes, plate ect. has been deposited, as in poof your money is gone.
The dealer will not work with me at all except that I can bring the bike back and get my original money spent. He let it slip to my wife that he kinda knew something might have been up before he sold us the bike. I would be out 1000 bucks and the bike would be for sale again probley the same day.
Now I've spent countless hours the last couple weeks getting her ready for our first drag race next Friday night, not to mention fitting drag bars ect.
I'm almost ready to say screw it it's pretty much going to be a drag bike anyhow.
To make a long story short check not only the title but the national insurance registry also.
Does your state have a salvage title? Most when states when a vehicle is declare a total by the insurance company the state will issue a salvage title so that it can be fixed and sold and the next buyer will know it history.

"Don't let your life determine your attitude, let your attitude determine your life"

“Sight has to do with what we can see, but vision has to do with what we can be.”
Backitin (Offline)
  #6 8/5/16 6:31 AM
Thanks,
Were looking into our options and hopefully a salvage title may be one of them.
I'm not sure how it works elsewhere but in PA where I'm trying to title the bike you can bring problems like this to our state rep. Her office is local and she is trying to find a solution for us. Just another bump in the road of life.