IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
badgerfan (Offline)
  #41 3/29/10 8:56 PM
Per the earlier quote--"It's a good system and SFI does random field test to keep us honest." If this is the third strike as one poster suggested did SFI do any random testing? You would think they would have that before making such a momentous announcement. Maybe they have it and choose for some reason not to release the test data. IMHO that would do a great diservice to those racers who own current Impact products and are trying to decide what to do.
outsider
  #42 3/29/10 9:30 PM
Originally Posted by sprntr:
I was disappointed & surprised to find no loops on my new set of Impact belts. Then the local shoe repair shop charged me the exorbitant amount of $5.00 to sew them on for me. Someone should be held accountable for this travisty!!!
USAC by chance. They get thrown under the bus all the time so I am sure they are responsible.
mscs20 (Offline)
  #43 3/30/10 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
I'll never know what it cost me, I had my wife sew on the lap belt, what I cut off the shoulder belts! And, when you buy a set of belts for a Sprint car, you expect to get a set for a Sprint car, which shouldn't make any difference, a lap belt for a lawn mower, should be the same, only difference might be in the length. I used Bell for a long time, they had the smallest hardware of any, and where the lap belt hooked to the latch, the 2 ends were just under 2 inches apart, which allowed you to almost get them tight enough by yourself, then, the next new set I bought, they were further apart, and I couldn't do the by myself, so I called Bell, told them the deal, the lady that answered, personally went to the first set she could find, pulled them out of the box, and measured them to the specs, all while I waited. In 3 days, I had a new set, at the proper spacing. Then almost everyone went to a pull up style, and the search was on, cause in a midget, or small car, you don't have room in the car, to let the belt out. I'd like the old Bell setup back again. Bob
Bob,
Hooker Harness from Freeport IL makes the Hooker/Bell belts and they can customize them to what you used to buy. Pull up/pull down, 2 inch hardware.....however you like them. The ratcheting option is kick ass too. Call Scott and discuss it.

http://www.hookerharness.com
Hooker Custom Harness, Inc.
324 East Stephenson St
Freeport, Illinois 61032
Phone- 815-233-5478

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11 PM ----------

Originally Posted by badgerfan:
Per the earlier quote--"It's a good system and SFI does random field test to keep us honest." If this is the third strike as one poster suggested did SFI do any random testing? You would think they would have that before making such a momentous announcement. Maybe they have it and choose for some reason not to release the test data. IMHO that would do a great diservice to those racers who own current Impact products and are trying to decide what to do.
The first strike was when they found the uniforms constructed of cotton thread instead of Nomex. A recall was put out by SFI and Impact was forced to to publish also, which they did. Suits were to be replaced or restitched, which they did for the drivers and dealers who returned them.
Then the violation with the counterfit Hans anchors which must include the SFI certification number on them.
HANS and SFI and even Speed channel put out the APB on that with NASCAR consfiscating Impact helmets left and right.
3rd strike was the latest findings with the counterfit tags.
In no way do I see where SFI has done the "diservice" at all. When ever they find a failure in the field or when they walk into a manufacture building and discover it in your own test lab, they institute a recall on that product. Snell does too.
TQ29m (Online)
  #44 3/30/10 11:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up, been around this stuff for 50yrs, or so, never heard of them. Looks like some good looking stuff, the rachet would be nice, but that elevates the bottom line. Thanks! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
mscs20 (Offline)
  #45 3/30/10 2:16 PM
In the spirit of beating a dead horse, there is an update on SFI's website if anyone cares.

http://sfifoundation.com/UpdateDecer...on03-29-10.pdf

After 3 days I've received 105 calls from drivers, tracks and series.....so someone does.
midgy (Offline)
  #46 3/30/10 6:18 PM
Originally Posted by mscs20:
In the spirit of beating a dead horse, there is an update on SFI's website if anyone cares.

http://sfifoundation.com/UpdateDecer...on03-29-10.pdf

After 3 days I've received 105 calls from drivers, tracks and series.....so someone does.
I CARE!!! The racing fraternity is one big family and these drivers are like our sons and daughters, brothers and sisters. Their SAFETY is most important. SFI is looking out for our family members, not trying to make a buck. JMO.
Pitstooge (Offline)
  #47 3/30/10 8:59 PM
Let me start this off by saying I am not a driver. I've never been behind the wheel of an open wheel car in competition. However, I am a crew chief. I have been for 20+ years. I am also an avid motorcyclist. I have never had or even tried on, any helmet other than a Bell Helmet. Is it because I am from Rantoul, Illinois, the home of Bell Helmets? Possibly. Is it because I've known Steve for 20+ years? Getting warmer. Is it because I've known Steve for 20+ years and know his commitment to safety and advancements in the field of driver safety? ABSOLUTELY! I personally wear a Bell BR-1 helmet because I know that it is among the safest, lightest, most comfortable piece of safety equipment I own. My leathers are bulky and constricting. But not my helmet. I have every confidence that, in case of an accident, I have the best chance of walking away because of the research and innovation that goes into my Bell Helmet. This is not an ad for Bell Helmets. These are facts as I know them. Also, I have never received a "comp" helmet from Steve. I have paid for every helmet I have owned over the past 20-odd years.

When Bill Simpson owned Simpson, he produced quality equipment. After his departure from Simpson and the opening of Impact (I always thought that an ironic and inappropriate name for a helmet manufacturer!), he has struggled to gain market share. With that struggle comes the cost factor. If you're not selling helmets and other equipment, you're losing money. Corners were cut in cost saving measures. I believe that this is one of the most despicable things that can be done when producing equipment when peoples lives are on the line when using the equipment. I hope that the SFI lawsuit and decertification will open the eyes of the drivers and crews to learn about their equipment, and not just blindly accept equipment because it's free. Producing equipment with inherent flaws 1 time is, possibly, a mistake. 2 times is a trend. 3 times should be ********!

Just my .02. I'll get off my soap box now. Flame away!
BAsprintcar (Offline)
  #48 3/30/10 10:53 PM
If you cared Jt, I would think you would start off with a new suit instead of the one you ran in 5 or 6 years ago. You need all new gear just not belts.