Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Winter tqs
10/31/09, 4:10 PM   #31
Re: Winter tqs
Xflagman

Way to go Charlie

11/1/09, 6:50 PM   #32
Jrp4554

Finally an explanation!!! Instead of just saying its illegal someone finally explains why. lol. I've been looking for that since since this topic opened. Because I said so is only an exceptable answer til they start school. lol My first grader asks why and my four year old just says ok and walks away.

11/1/09, 7:22 PM   #33
Uncle_Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tq14 View Post
east coast TQs have a very strong advantage over indiana TQs.......<SNIP>
I wouldn't say that. We use to run with them alot in NC. Not to brag, but we could kick thier a@@. Now the Can-Am bunch was another story. I think the best finish there was third. (in our up-right against thier roadsters)

See ya in a few months,

11/1/09, 8:39 PM   #34
Tq14

to everyone,

i have to ask after reading about the guy whos car isnt going to be legal, what can tq owners do in the near future to keep engine costs down and stay competitive. The reason i ask is the cars that won races this year, there engines will only continue to get more expensive since parts are becoming harder to come by. The parts i bought to rebuild my engine for 2010 are 3 times as expensive as they were in 2007. If tqs get more expensive, it will cost the same as focus midgets. Just interested what we can do to keep our prices of engines down, while keeping the traditional tq? why dont tq series check cc?

11/1/09, 8:57 PM   #35
slide22

Quote:
to everyone,

i have to ask after reading about the guy whos car isnt going to be legal, what can tq owners do in the near future to keep engine costs down and stay competitive. The reason i ask is the cars that won races this year, there engines will only continue to get more expensive since parts are becoming harder to come by. The parts i bought to rebuild my engine for 2010 are 3 times as expensive as they were in 2007. If tqs get more expensive, it will cost the same as focus midgets. Just interested what we can do to keep our prices of engines down, while keeping the traditional tq? why dont tq series check cc?
why not go to an all 600cc rule. I'm sure the new 600's put out the same/more as those old tq engines... and they're a dime a dozen for less than $1000 on ebay..

11/1/09, 9:30 PM   #36
speidel21

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide22 View Post
why not go to an all 600cc rule. I'm sure the new 600's put out the same/more as those old tq engines... and they're a dime a dozen for less than $1000 on ebay..
or why not stick to the rules since most of the guys out there aren't going to convert to another engine if they have to. this is brought up every winter and it gets kinda old really quick. you can run something other then a Honda, Willis ran three different brands of engines this season and was competitive, you just have to do it within the rules as Charlie stated. Why change something that is going great and still attracting a good car count. I do understand what TQ14 is stating as far as referring to engine cost. But a big engine isn't always a must to be competitive. a few races in the 40x car this season we ran a stock Economy engine that had been sitting around for awhile in a car that was the heaviest of all the cars when all the cars got weighed (even had a steel rear axle)and we led and just about won 2 of the 3 features we ran with it. J bird just had to work a little harder on the setup and prep the track with a special magical groove for me. Not a knock to J bird as he has a nice machine now. Not saying a spruced up strong engine like Steve has in his car doesn't help and make it easier but can still be competitive otherwise if things are clicking. Just ask Bob McClure (tq29m) about how much he has invested in his engine and he is still very competitive every week. I forget from memory on what engine he runs and how much money he has in it but its basically a stock 600 and he does it within the rules, very competitively. I think it's great to have someone like Charlie around to enforce the rules and keep things in perspective.
Last edited by speidel21; 11/1/09 at 9:31 PM.

1 member likes this post: Uncle_Charlie
11/1/09, 9:51 PM   #37
TQ97

Quote:

I'm running an 05 636 or 600 depending upon what we put in. Still working out the kinks but when we can get the RPMs up its pretty fast. Sold my 2 honda's and Kinsler fuel injection and bought 5 of em off Ebay, not a one of them more than $1000.

11/1/09, 10:25 PM   #38
Uncle_Charlie

Quote:
<SNIP> Just interested what we can do to keep our prices of engines down, while keeping the traditional tq? why dont tq series check cc?
Ask Bob Mcclure. I think he only has around $500 in each of his engines. They seem to be very reliable also.

As far as checking the cc's, I'm working on it. I also have an electronic fuel analyzer that will check for ANY additives. Gonna get REAL interesting next year........

Later,

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by suade82 View Post
Hey, do we have Dog Food and Glue yet?

Wade Vest
Naw, I don't think this horse is dead yet.........

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote:
The way I see things, the old Honda's have a longer stroke which allows for more compression. Alcohol LOVES compression. More compression leads to more torque. More torque means coming off the corners harder. Coming off the corners harder means faster speeds in the first 3/4 of the straights..... This engine has a lower RPM range than the short-stroked newer motors. It can have an advantage on short tracks and tighter corners.

The newer engines have a shorter stroke, higher RPMs. This engine would be better suited for a larger track where you can keep thr R's up. I have seen these turn RPMs in the 14,000 range where the Hondas are at 11,800or so. The Honda could "Top Out" before the end of the straights, while the newer engines can just keep winding higher, gaining more speed.

With the different size tracks that MTQRL runs on, it comes down to "half dozen of one, six of another". Both have thier uses. Good luck in picking the right engine.

11/2/09, 4:37 PM   #39
Uncle_Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Dirt Bowl View Post
Also for clarification. It was stated by Mark at the Greensburg drivers meeting that the experiment would be run through out the 2010 season and a desicion made on whether to adjust the rules for 2011.<SNIP> I was told I would be able to run the car all next year.
Yes, Mark DID say that. However, I told you at Lawrenceburg that this was not going to happen. I am sorry there was such a big miscommunication within the MTQRL. Mistakes will happen. Thier intentions were good, but the rule book has to be followed. Sorry for the confusion.

I will help you in any way I can, but please call or e-mail me with any questions.

11/2/09, 5:20 PM   #40
Cincy Dirt Bowl

[QUOTE=Uncle_Charlie;143593]Yes, Mark DID say that. However, I told you at Lawrenceburg that this was not going to happen. I am sorry there was such a big miscommunication within the MTQRL. Mistakes will happen.

I guess your right Charlie, mistakes will happen.
Last edited by Cincy Dirt Bowl; 11/3/09 at 6:07 AM. Reason: moving on

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Winter tqs