IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Midgets next July Springfield IL
6/29/16, 9:05 AM   #1
USAC Midgets next July Springfield IL
chathamracefan

Just announced by Rusty Kunz on a local radio station. They will have a USAC national midget race next July 3 (with the 4th as a rain date). It will be at the multi purpose arena on the Illinois State Fairgrounds. They didn't give details of track size, but I'd guess they could do a 1/4 mile at this facility. They have done flat track motorcycle races there as well as demo derbies, tractor pulls, etc.

Track will need to be built with temp walls probably like an outdoor DuQuoin. The facility is just an open area of dirt with no walls already there for racing. The bikes just use hay bales but obviously the midgets would need something more substantial. The seating area is top notch & it is a beautiful facility.

1 member likes this post: SDHill89
6/29/16, 9:24 AM   #2
Re: USAC Midgets next July Springfield IL
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathamracefan View Post
Just announced by Rusty Kunz on a local radio station. They will have a USAC national midget race next July 3 (with the 4th as a rain date). It will be at the multi purpose arena on the Illinois State Fairgrounds. They didn't give details of track size, but I'd guess they could do a 1/4 mile at this facility. They have done flat track motorcycle races there as well as demo derbies, tractor pulls, etc.

Track will need to be built with temp walls probably like an outdoor DuQuoin. The facility is just an open area of dirt with no walls already there for racing. The bikes just use hay bales but obviously the midgets would need something more substantial. The seating area is top notch & it is a beautiful facility.
crf, we're talking 2017, right?

This is an very nice facility on the Illinois State Fairgrounds. IIRC there is enough room for at least a full 1/4 mile track. I really hope this event comes off well. I know we have Macon and Lincoln running during the State Fair racing weekend but wouldn't it be neat and kinda' nostalgic to have a USAC National Midget show at the Fairgrounds the Friday night before the Silver Crown race on The Mile like back when Little Springfield still existed.

6/29/16, 9:27 AM   #3
chathamracefan

It is 2017 per what they said on the radio. To do something during the fair, they would have to do some shuffling of the event lineup for that facility as they use it for several things during the fair. Hopefully if this goes off well it will lead to more racing at the facility.

6/29/16, 11:30 AM   #4
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathamracefan View Post
It is 2017 per what they said on the radio. To do something during the fair, they would have to do some shuffling of the event lineup for that facility as they use it for several things during the fair. Hopefully if this goes off well it will lead to more racing at the facility.
crf, thanks for the clarification.

I measured up an oval that logically could be built in the space they have and there appears to be room for a track maybe just a bit longer than Mighty Macon Speedway. I came up with something around 1100'. Now that is obviously pure speculation as compared to what USAC and the fairgrounds people will lay out. Although we've never been to a motorcycle race at the Arena we've watched several on TV and if they build a track as big as the MC track with more banking they will have a very good midget track. I'm sure there are folks here that have attended the motorcycle events at the Arena that can either affirm or debunk what I've said.

We camp within a couple of hundred yards of the Arena every year during the Illinois State Fair and IIRC there isn't much going on at the Arena during the final weekend of the Fair. But, the obvious problem would be getting the track built after the rodeo, monster truck, tractor pulls and the TQ midget events that are held earlier in the Fair. It may be pie in the sky but it would be very cool to have a midget event on the Friday night prior, or the Saturday night following to the Bettenhausen Memorial!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Midgets next July Springfield IL