IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your thoughts on this Sprint Car crash. Purpose or not?
10/25/14, 12:40 PM   #11
Re: Your thoughts on this Sprint Car crash. Purpose or not?
racephoto1

The biggest problem is that too many kids grow up watching NASCRAP and think that's what racing is. By the time they strap into a race car they're brainwashed into doing all the time. Problem is , when they do it they don't care.

I still say tracks could really slow this down if they parked a guy when he took someone out. You get parked enough you realize you aren't doing any racing.

7 members like this post: DAD, hoscalecody, midget96, nathans1012, ronmil, spicoli, TQ29m
10/25/14, 1:26 PM   #12
DAD

Race

We got a schooling outfit out right now that starts kids out at an very early age racing one another, they call themselves Quarter Midgets or .25 Midgets or whatever. They start parking them kids early in life for the smallest transgression and by the time they get into bigger cars racing right is second nature to them. Strapping a teenage kid in a big race car and saying have at it isn't the best policy now days, especially if dad was not a racer with a little insight and or he can't afford a coach for the kid.

These race cars are a lot different now than in the past, they practical drive them selves. You can take a newbie up to Kentucky Speedway and in a few laps they are up to 150MPH, but that don't make them Tony Stewart. It doesn't take much smarts to make them go fast but it does takes a lot of smarts for them to really race.

It would be nice if some sort of mandatory training be required for all racers, It wouldn't be cool if your buddies with experience saw you taking a class, but if everyone had to take the class, no one would know and maybe the experienced guys might remember something also.

If you get a chance watch this video about Quarter Midget Judging >>Can you envision any future Dave Darland's out there just starting out. This is the reason so many of these kids go on to bigger and better things. It doesn't start getting good until about 15 min into the clip.

http://www.quartermidgets.org/Multim...ing-video.html

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 10/25/14 at 1:55 PM.

5 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97, mowerman, red70racer, Task Force
10/25/14, 6:39 PM   #13
KKinser99

look like he crowded him first and then he retaliated with his car. I say we should let guys like this fight it out. Not the usual yelling match we see at race tracks that is broke up.

10/25/14, 6:48 PM   #14
double checkered

Leader was a female. Harli White. I don't think she is much of the fighting type.

Jeremy

5 members like this post: fish, hoscalecody, jim goerge, luckybuc97, mowerman
10/25/14, 7:54 PM   #15
Panama

One of the most blatant on purpose take outs I have ever seen (on video) I believe young Eric Riggins Jr needs a classic Jack Hewitt style ass whipping!

Something in me believes he would not have done that to a Hewitt, Kinser, or a driver that could and would stand up for themselves.

I personally hope someday soon he runs directly into the ass whipping he so richly deserves!

10/25/14, 8:30 PM   #16
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Someone who would do this simply should not be allowed to get on a race track and endanger other drivers. With all the bad publicity racing in general and sprint car racing in particular has gotten recently, you would think that any driver would try to act more responsibly. Perhaps he should have a drug test.

If possible, his act is made worse by the fact that he deliberately crashed a very small young lady (Harli White) who was very, very badly burned a few years ago with 3rd degree burns over 50% of her body. She still carries very deep scars. Her courage and determination have been well documented, along with the fact that she won the 2013 ORCS wing and nonwing championships. I have had the opportunity to meet both her and her parents. Great folks. I am so glad that she didn't appear to be injured.

10/26/14, 1:38 AM   #17

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

Well recent events have taught us not to be to so quick to Judge. It does look at the very least a bone head move. It heard them say it was the white flag so were they the leaders going for the win? What was he mad about? I did not see her do anything to him except stay in front of him. Racing Deal or blatant? I'm on the fence I guess without more info. hopefully a lesson was learned either way to avoid another similar move.

10/26/14, 2:15 AM   #18
slick01

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 48

Eric is a young man who is trying to grow a team just as Harli is. Maybe this was a bonehead deal. Eric has been trying to branch out and gain experience by racing in PA in the 410s. He is one of the very few cats in the south that has pursued sprint car racing and he deserves credit for that. We have never seen Eric have a problem anywhere. He is fast with the 360 stuff and is just needs more seat time when they can afford it. We respect Harli and hate that this deal happened.

2 members like this post: DAD, SWScaleChassis
10/26/14, 3:25 AM   #19
hoscalecody

To me the video shows that Harli might have came down into eric coming to white flag in turn 3 the lap before the flip maybe Harli didn't see Eric and maybe came down into him and looks like Eric tries to wreck Harli and misses and chases her down and then going into 3 coming to the checkered flag it looks like eric didn't want to slow down because he was moving a lot faster than what he should have at least to me set his sights on Harli and plain out took her out in a uncalled for move. I'm just stating what i think i know people will have different opinions especially if they know and or are family With Eric Riggins Jr. and Harli White friends or family probably would agree with me. It would help with on board cameras to tell more on steering and how much throttle is being used but to me in the video doesn't look like there is any.

10/26/14, 7:37 AM   #20
Tief

Quote:
Originally Posted by double checkered View Post
Leader was a female. Harli White. I don't think she is much of the fighting type.

Jeremy
When I wrote my comment that I thought this was just a racing deal, I had no idea who the two drivers involved were. I was just reacting to the video. I have to wonder though what influence it has on people's opinon of this incident that one of them was a female and if they would see this differently if they thought it were two annonimous male drivers, like I did.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your thoughts on this Sprint Car crash. Purpose or not?