IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lou Conner 1939-2019
9/30/19, 11:43 AM   #1
Lou Conner 1939-2019
Stevensville Mike

It is with a heavy heart that I bring the news of the passing of long time race fan, and my friend, Lou Conner of Battle Creek, this past Saturday morning. Although Lou never posted on this forum, or any other that I know of, he was known by many who do, usually spotted in the stands with a green Michigan State University hat.

Prior to being worn down by health issues over the past five years, Lou was a weekly regular at Butler Speedway. He enjoyed all types of oval track racing but especially dirt and winged sprinters. Not only was he a fan, he was a walking history book with respect to the past six decades of all forms of oval track racing. He enlightened me continuously throughout the years with his knowledge and memory.

No services have been scheduled at this time, but if you wish to contact Lou’s wife, Julee, that can be done by sending me a private message.

One thing Lou would want, though, is for all of us to go on to the next green flag and to not get all caught up in his passing. That I am positive of.

On a personal note, at Butler one night he once showed me a “DNR” card that he carried in his wallet – Do Not Resuscitate. He asked me to follow through with that request in the event anything went sideways for him at one of the tracks when we were out and about. A heavy personal ask of a friend that he may not have asked of anyone else at the track on a regular basis. Although I agreed with his wishes, and felt it was a high honor to be asked of this, I still had to lighten up the mood at the time.

“If the time comes, what about the money in your wallet?” I asked. “Can I have THAT?”

“-sshole,” was his response.

Race in Peace, Lou.

10/1/19, 5:43 AM   #2
Re: Lou Conner 1939-2019
Stevensville Mike

https://whitleymemorialfuneralhome.c.../obituary.html

3 members like this post: beaner, fish, tirespinner
10/6/19, 9:45 PM   #3
Re: Lou Conner 1939-2019
beaner

I am a friend of Stevensville Mike (who I met at the race track) and got to know 'Battle Creek" Lou over these past years at many tailgate parties at the various Michigan dirt tracks hosting Sprints. We had many great discussions about past and present and always enjoyed bench racing with Lou. It is tough when we lose an "old timer" and unfortunately over the next years we will see more and more of the turn over of the old guard for our racing history. Lou was one of the good guys and as Mike noted, a walking knowledge of short track racing.

On a personal note Mike: Thanks for going out of your way to assist Lou in attending his passion in these later years when his health was failing. I know of many times when Lou would like to attend a Sprint car event but had no ride that night. Mike always would volunteer and drive from Stevensville to B.C. and pick up Lou to road trip to a track somewhere. Of course, he then had to reverse that to get Lou back and then travel in the early morning hours back home. Thanks Mike! That is great friendship with a heart of kindness.

I pledge to continue to honor the Lou's of the racing world out there by taking new blood to the race track at every opportunity and supporting our tracks and promotors. I have an informal STAC group (Short Track Action Club) with many members who enjoy the racing scene and we considered Lou a member. Stop by in the parking lot and look for the STAC shirts and say hi.

As President of STAC, I hereby start a STAC Hall of Fame and Lou Conner is our first member.
RIP Lou.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lou Conner 1939-2019