IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 4 crown for better or worse
9/23/19, 9:50 PM   #1
4 crown for better or worse
flagboy55

Seeing as how we’ve been clogging up other threads on this subject, I thought I would start one for our opinions that wouldn’t interfere with the intention of the original posting.
Those of you who know me and perhaps some that don’t know how I feel about this race. It’s the BEST! It’s the best value. It’s a chance to see nothing but open wheel. It’s a chance to see the speed of the wings, in spite of their typically bland heat races. Hell, Friday I’m going to watch the Big Cars quilify, and I get to watch the Outlaws as well. I will admit, it’s personal with me. My dad took my brother and I to the first one and I’ve been every year since unless I was flagging at another track (which should be illegal). Sure there are things to complain about, but you always see more than one thing that makes you damn glad you came. I know a lot of you will agree with me, and some will not. Has there been some mistakes along the way, absolutely. But it’s still ELDORA with every class of USAC that matters, and for my money, even if everything doesn’t go right, it’s still the best 2 days spent at the racetrack!

9/23/19, 10:06 PM   #2
Re: 4 crown for better or worse
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Seeing as how we’ve been clogging up other threads on this subject, I thought I would start one for our opinions that wouldn’t interfere with the intention of the original posting.
Those of you who know me and perhaps some that don’t know how I feel about this race. It’s the BEST! It’s the best value. It’s a chance to see nothing but open wheel. It’s a chance to see the speed of the wings, in spite of their typically bland heat races. Hell, Friday I’m going to watch the Big Cars quilify, and I get to watch the Outlaws as well. I will admit, it’s personal with me. My dad took my brother and I to the first one and I’ve been every year since unless I was flagging at another track (which should be illegal). Sure there are things to complain about, but you always see more than one thing that makes you damn glad you came. I know a lot of you will agree with me, and some will not. Has there been some mistakes along the way, absolutely. But it’s still ELDORA with every class of USAC that matters, and for my money, even if everything doesn’t go right, it’s still the best 2 days spent at the racetrack!
Think you might have taken my post too personal if ya ask me. All I meant by it was now that Im on a fixed income, end of the month, hard to pull out. Also Since the gate has gone up 15 bucks in ten years. I do say it's the all stars, Don't think usac purses have gone up by half.

Been going since the mid 80s both as a fan and a crew member and have always love this race, loved it with the lm's loved it with the mods. Actually like wing features, , But like you even said, What else do they provide but fast laps and no passing in the heats?d

I'll be there. Hope some midgets show up!

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Kydehart
9/23/19, 11:10 PM   #3
flagboy55

Charles, nothing personal at all. We all have limitations on what we can and can’t do. I’m sure the midgets will show with enough to make it exciting. As unfortunate as it was that Springfield got rained out, I hope that will bring a few more crown cars. I think I saw 39 entered there, hopefully they can bring 30 to Eldora.
Back to your original point, if you can’t afford it, then you can’t afford it, just don’t say it’s not worth it!

2 members like this post: erich45, SPRINTCAR
9/24/19, 12:19 AM   #4
treecitytornado

30 would be a Record Champ Car count for Eldora, I do believe! Hope it happens & they have to run a Last Chance Race again, since they are supposed to start 24, even though they've started more than 30 on the miles, like DuQuoin. Mainly, didn't want to leave a few on the trailer. Plus a couple provisionals, are part of it, too. Should be an awesome show both days!! Loved the 4-Crown, since I was a little kid!! Now you can see the Top 3, 410 Sanctioning bodies in the Country, along with Champ Dirt Cars & Midgets!! Nowhere else in the Country offers that in a 2 Day Show!! AWESOME!
Last edited by treecitytornado; 9/24/19 at 12:20 AM.

4 members like this post: Clydesdale, erich45, flagboy55, Koko06
9/24/19, 1:23 AM   #5
revjimk

I'd go in a minute if i could!

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55
9/24/19, 7:59 AM   #6
motorhead748

Better. I much prefer the ascoc over mods or anything else with fenders. I plan on both nights

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
9/24/19, 11:57 AM   #7
Koko06

Will you be going this year?

9/24/19, 4:35 PM   #8
SPRINTCAR

I would pay the same price without the All Stars. I can do without them and it makes the show run longer. I'm all in Saturday for Justin Grant, One Smooth Character!

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, duel, oppweld, tirespinner
9/24/19, 4:44 PM   #9
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Started attending with the first one and have not missed very many. However, this is more than likely the last we will be attending because of the effort required to make the trip, etc. gets more difficult each year. My wife especially has difficulty with the lengthy car ride and overnight stay. The race is often so lengthy we don't get much use out of our motel room.
Hope to see some fellow IOWers at the track and see some great open-wheel action as well.

9/24/19, 7:33 PM   #10
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Think you might have taken my post too personal if ya ask me. All I meant by it was now that Im on a fixed income, end of the month, hard to pull out. Also Since the gate has gone up 15 bucks in ten years. I do say it's the all stars, Don't think usac purses have gone up by half.

Been going since the mid 80s both as a fan and a crew member and have always love this race, loved it with the lm's loved it with the mods. Actually like wing features, , But like you even said, What else do they provide but fast laps and no passing in the heats?d

I'll be there. Hope some midgets show up!
According to my records it was $30 to get in ten years ago without the All Stars.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 4 crown for better or worse