IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Presleyland Motorsports Track?
1/10/09, 12:41 PM   #1
Presleyland Motorsports Track?
Rpracing1

Anybody heard anything else about this deal?

1/10/09, 3:27 PM   #2
Re: Presleyland Motorsports Track?
TQ29m

Nope, I think it's a dead issue, they were hoping to run AMSA, and MMSA, and TQ's there, but evidently there was no interest. Just what I pieced together, from all the groups listed. Bob

1/10/09, 7:17 PM   #3
BrianBSU23

I think in the Sprint Car and Midget magazine the ASCS ad lists the track as have some dates. I've never heard of this track until that ad.

1/10/09, 7:29 PM   #4
Great Scott

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 63

The Chandler Motor Speedway web site says the track has not been sold and it will be ran by Harold and Phyllis Baker in 2009 and remain CMS.

1/10/09, 8:32 PM   #5
TQ29m

Maybe I'd better clear up, what I posted. I didn't intend for my post to mean there wasn't anything going on there this season, I intended for it to mean that none of the motorcycle engine powered, open wheel cars, as for as I knew, had any races scheduled there this year. If you'll follow the thread to it's beginning, I think it was intended just to find out what the name of the track was, Pressleyland Park, Chandler Speedway, Evansville Speedway, or what, then someone posted Sprint Car racing there, and away she went from there! Sorry if it caused any problems! Bob

1/10/09, 10:26 PM   #6

What about the ASCS National Tour 15,000 to win show that was schedule for July?

1/11/09, 11:38 AM   #7
TQ29m

Info on the situation, can be found at www.chandlermotorspeedway.com, posted 01-04-09, by the owner. Bob

1/11/09, 3:05 PM   #8
bigmojo5

I'm beginning to wonder if Presleyland Motorsports is a company leasing Chandler Motor Speedway, much the same as Classic Motorsports leased Kamp Motor Speedway a couple of years ago, Columbus Motor Speedway. Even Fort Wayne. Or the same as RPM Promotions leases Lawrenceburg and the group in Terre Haute leases the Action Track.

The item in Sprint Car and Midget (page nine of most recent issue), which does say it is a preliminary ASCS schedule, lists the various tracks as speedways, etc (i.e. Devil's Bowl Speedway, Lawton Speedway) but lists Chandler only as Presleyland Motorsports.

Harold and Phyllis Baker are the same people who owned the track when I was the track photographer in the mid-1970s. Harold gave me my first airplane ride -- an old WWII bomber -- so I could take photos of the entire layout that included the drag strip, the dirt oval and the off road course cut through the woods to the west. It was known as Chandler Raceway Park then. Think it was also known as Mid American Motor Speedway at some point.

Bob,
I was hopeful on the TQs but wondered if it really made sense. It would be great for teams like the Ambroses but seems like most of the TQs are from the eastern part of the state. Greensburg, Fortville, Muncie, Shelbyville, Rushville, Greenfield, Columbus and a couple from Bloomington. Collin Ambrose comes up occasionally from Owensboro, Ky., but Lynn and Ron have suppoorted 1200 mini-sprints for most of the last decade.

I also wonder if Chandler might be the first victim of The TQ War. If rather than deciding to sign with one group of the other, Harold decided to sign with no group at all.

Time will tell.

Jim Morrison
Last edited by bigmojo5; 1/11/09 at 3:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to include my NAME

1/11/09, 3:22 PM   #9
TQ29m

Jim, as far as I know, it was not considered, mostly due to location, like you said, most of the TQ owners are way North and East of there, Ambrose has driven "our" direction, for years, but then that's a "short" haul for a truck driver. Were you good to Santa? Bob

1/11/09, 3:31 PM   #10
bigmojo5

Bob,
Thanks for the link. The pictures on the site brought back a lot of memories. Track looks pretty much the same as it did 30 years ago. Hope they have a better way of getting into the scoring tower now. Looked at the points standings and some of the same boys are running. And I still wouldn't mess with them.
Jim Morrison

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Presleyland Motorsports Track?