IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled
9/9/11, 9:02 AM   #101
Re: More Midget Races Cancelled
DonMoore10

Here is an ad from an internet classified:

2007 Beast (XXXXXXXXX motor) for sale.Leading XXXX Points, second in 2010. All the best stuff, tons of spares.
Motor was rebuilt in March by XXXXXXXXX, eight races on motor so far. Motor was updated with all the latest and greatest stuff ( $9200 )worth.

So.... $9200 to rebuild the $22,000 engine..... This is totally insane.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/9/11, 9:25 AM   #102
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Here is an ad from an internet classified:

2007 Beast (XXXXXXXXX motor) for sale.Leading XXXX Points, second in 2010. All the best stuff, tons of spares.
Motor was rebuilt in March by XXXXXXXXX, eight races on motor so far. Motor was updated with all the latest and greatest stuff ( $9200 )worth.

So.... $9200 to rebuild the $22,000 engine..... This is totally insane.
Yep, somebody is making out like a bandit, maybe the parts manufactuer, or the engine builder. Probley both. By the way Ott engines are some of the best, probley cost twice what they should be but you cant go wrong with one.
My bud is a supreme car builder/restorer/money maker. He says if you got the money and arnt so vain that you need new everything a ardc competitive car can be had for under 10gs ready for the track, same for a 410 nonwing sprinter. Now I will say we run smaller tracks and a good engine can last quite awhile. Getting a car is the easy part. Tires, fuel, shocks, engine rebuilds, fuel for the hauler thats what we cant afford. If your real good at getting sponsors you can make out ok. Thats my problem I never ask anybody for anything, never had, so my sponsor seeking skills suck, hell I wont even try.

9/9/11, 9:43 AM   #103
DonMoore10

Note that the engine in that ad has 8 races on it. The big buck teams will be sending that piece of gold back to the state of CXXXXXXXXX for a rebuild.. more $$$$$$$$$$$$..... $$$$$$$$$$ for shipping cross country......... some of these teams yank 'em after 4 races...

9/9/11, 9:48 AM   #104
Hamby812

Just sitting here reading through this thread and its obvious why midget racing will die. For every positive idea theres 2 people to tell you how dumb it is and that it wont work. EVERYONE has to work toward the same thing or it wont change.....
Posted via Mobile Device

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jdull99, jim goerge, Mud Packer, STP
9/9/11, 9:59 AM   #105
DonMoore10

You are 100% correct. And the midget org execs are sitting in their offices right this very minute reading every word of this thread and not doing a thing about it. They have not done one thing since the decline started in 1999 to get midget racing back on track. It's been all about keeping the manufacturers in business.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 9/9/11 at 10:04 AM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/9/11, 10:05 AM   #106
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamby812 View Post
Just sitting here reading through this thread and its obvious why midget racing will die. For every positive idea theres 2 people to tell you how dumb it is and that it wont work. EVERYONE has to work toward the same thing or it wont change.....
Posted via Mobile Device
You guy's can make it work.
Bottom line is in midget racing you have to get the wealthy involved if your sole desire is to win. Let the big buckers run the midgets, let us small timer's have fun with our mini's and such. Listen you aint gonna run at the front of any midget race inless your well financed, the same cant be said for minisprint racing. Thats why I keep saying it's rediculous that most tracks wont let me run my old 1200 against the new 1000's. Jeepers it's just a freakin minisprint race, who cares ? I believe if you want good midget racing again you need to have a weight limit and safety tech, the only two rules. I'd rather see 16 of the baddest midgets around then a full field of cookie cutters. As far as midget's They've always been a upper class ride, a premiere race car, the common class need not apply. Maybe thats why thay were so special in the first place.

9/9/11, 10:14 AM   #107
R.Drang

I think Don is right on most of the rules, and a few others have mentiooned it too. On top of tires, you need a good weight rule, the top cars can easily bolt on weight. If you upped the weight rule you could get back some of the iron block engines( the ones sitting in barns and garages). But with this im sure that someone will say that they will not have the same performance, and ill agree with that to a certain extent, but if you were to mandate a tire co. and use the Hardest tire made for a midget, the top of the line engines may not hook up

9/9/11, 10:14 AM   #108
Hamby812

16 of the best midgets dont pay the guy putting on the show or the casual fan. You cant just think about the people involved now.....we have to get new people out and intrested in racing. But if i take a guy intrested in paying for my ride to the track and he see 16 cars and 1000 fans needless to say he wont be impressed......
Posted via Mobile Device

9/9/11, 10:17 AM   #109
racerjim2

There was nothing any more beautiful than a Kurtis Kraft midget and the sound of an Offy....period! I could even deal with a rollcage. Look at the cars now. That should tell you what's wrong with midget racing at a glance.

3 members like this post: STP, ThrowbackRacingTeam
9/9/11, 10:38 AM   #110
DonMoore10

The fans on this web site have spoken over and over and over again that they want to see substantial car counts at a race. That's not going to change. It's at the top of the topic list on here along with dusty race tracks. The fans have been forgotten in all of this. The manufacturers are running what we know as midget racing today and the midget orgs have let them do it. The result is about 13 well funded midget teams and a few outsiders showed up at LaSalle. 16 cars total when there should have been 30-40 signed in and apparently the show consisted of two heat races and a feature. Hardly what the fan wants to pay to see in this current society. Once again the decline has been gradually happening over the last 12 years.

Smart business men and corporations follow closely the trend of society and their needs. Why do you think that McDonalds will tear down one of their buildings and build a new one? Society these days are attracted to the "new", something fresh. That sells and attracts customers. Something current and with the times sells products and this is dictated by the customer, not the manufacturers who build equipment for restaurants or the contractors and designers. This is why midget racing is F##### up today. The model is operating for all the wrong reasons. Again, the result of all of this is 16 cars showing for a premiere event.

16 cars for what is billed as a premiere midget race in the heart of the midwest with a few hundred midgets within 200 miles is not acceptable for the discerning fan today.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 9/9/11 at 10:48 AM.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled