IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy Car Replacing Fontana with Phoenix.. Snore.
8/14/15, 10:05 PM   #11
throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shunk View Post
Captrat, You nailed it! This is club racing for rich owners that uses the Indy 500 to legitimize their existence. It is a shame what they have done to destroy America's open wheel racing's top level since 1972. I love IMS but have spent my money at the dirt tracks of the midwest for MANY years now. Most people on this site can not name the winner of that race in Fontana in this thread. Enough said!
You mean Graham Rahal....

3 members like this post: opnwhlmnd, ronmil, Tony74
8/14/15, 10:41 PM   #12
2HWrench

The 500 should be an "open" non points race. Spec tires, weight and wheel base beyond that bring whatever you think will last for 500 miles. Just like the old days! Imagine the innovation in engineering and design possibilities. Guaranteed sell out...

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge
8/15/15, 8:14 AM   #13
Re: Indy Car Replacing Fontana with Phoenix.. Snore.
Dyno Don

I was there in 2005. They might of had 5000 in the stands. That is one the reasons they left.
Now if they would bring back the Silver Crown, Midgets and Supers they would probably have a large crowd. Like the good old days of the Copper Classic.

5 members like this post: bahawk, FishBurger, IndyBound, jim goerge, RacinFool
8/15/15, 10:47 AM   #14
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Don View Post
I was there in 2005. They might of had 5000 in the stands. That is one the reasons they left.
Now if they would bring back the Silver Crown, Midgets and Supers they would probably have a large crowd. Like the good old days of the Copper Classic.
I agree Dyno Don. A girl can hope that The Silver Crown, Midgets and Supers will also be back but there was nothing mentioned about that. When I read the announcement in our paper yesterday I marked my calendar and told several friends we need to go support Indy cars return. While I live less than 30 minutes from PIR, I have personally boycotted the track since the last running of open wheel cars there. While I am glad to know they are closer to get Indy car back at Phoenix I hate to see it come at the expense of another racing venue. Will be anxiously awaiting the Indy car schedule for 2016.

8/15/15, 11:32 AM   #15
Stevensville Mike

Correct me if I am wrong, but the last time IndyCars ran at PIR, it was the old track configuration. They never ran the new layout, wherein the banking was raised in Turns 1 and 2 and the opening in the wall after Turn 2 closed off.

Now, the latter really made no difference, but the raised banking will up the speeds. They have that big apron on the backstretch, too, that the tin tops frequently use to cut down the distance. NASCAR allows that. I cannot imagine IndyCars cutting down off of the banking like that.

And, yes, if the Copper Classic could be revived, you might really have something there for the future.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy Car Replacing Fontana with Phoenix.. Snore.