IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best ISW race?
7/29/18, 11:22 AM   #11
Re: Best ISW race?
openwheelfan1

We made the last 4, and ranking them in order:

Tri-State, Lincoln Park, Terre Haute, Bloomington.

Terre Haute had its moments, but the dust was so bad it made it tough to see what was going on down in 3 and 4.

Bloomington has got to be one of the most visually stunning tracks around, and I know they have some good races there, but it seems that the last several years when we go there for ISW there is little to no passing. I mean the "Hard Charger" award this year goes to KTJ for passing 4 cars?

It was great to see the crowds at the 4 races we attended. The Terre Haute crowd was like a throwback to the 70's. Huge crowds at Lincoln Park, Bloomington and Tri-State as well. Excellent car counts too. I know ISW has become "an event" and isn't necessarily an indicator of the the overall health of the sport of non-wing sprint car racing, but I certainly think it looks a lot better than it did 7-10 years ago.

7/29/18, 11:47 AM   #12
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
We made the last 4, and ranking them in order:

Tri-State, Lincoln Park, Terre Haute, Bloomington.

Terre Haute had its moments, but the dust was so bad it made it tough to see what was going on down in 3 and 4.

Bloomington has got to be one of the most visually stunning tracks around, and I know they have some good races there, but it seems that the last several years when we go there for ISW there is little to no passing. I mean the "Hard Charger" award this year goes to KTJ for passing 4 cars?

It was great to see the crowds at the 4 races we attended. The Terre Haute crowd was like a throwback to the 70's. Huge crowds at Lincoln Park, Bloomington and Tri-State as well. Excellent car counts too. I know ISW has become "an event" and isn't necessarily an indicator of the the overall health of the sport of non-wing sprint car racing, but I certainly think it looks a lot better than it did 7-10 years ago.
Just wish they would rip open THAT surface and dump a ton of water on it to help with the dust as it seems to be smooth
Last edited by jim goerge; 7/29/18 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add on

7/29/18, 11:58 AM   #13
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
Just wish they would rip open THAT surface and dump a ton of water on it to help with the dust as it seems to be smooth
I'm not sure what the solution is but what they are doing for track prep certainly isn't working. You are right, the surface IS nice and smooth, may be for the first time in the 49 years I've been going there, but the track is dry slick before group 4 of hot laps hits the track. It's like it's 1975 and it's Sunday afternoon again. At least back then, they would water the tar out of the top and get it so it had a cushion off the wall.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge, Speedwrench, tirespinner
7/29/18, 12:07 PM   #14
jim goerge

I laughed when they came by us with the thing on the red tractor lol Like it wasn't even breaking the surface lol sorry still laughing bout it, biggest waste of fuel I"ve evern seen

7/29/18, 1:09 PM   #15
dirt330

Enjoy traveling the entire Indiana Sprint week races. The race at Terre Haute was the first race I've ever been to where I couldn't see the race only hear it. Tri-State Speedway was the best race.
Last edited by dirt330; 7/29/18 at 1:40 PM.

3 members like this post: captrat, JarrettFarms73, jim goerge
7/29/18, 2:09 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Going to three, (Burg, THAT and LPS) and watching two more (Bloomington and Tri State)

Best, Tri State, even if there is racing everywhere, if there isn't challenges for the lead, It's kinda anti climatic. I was happy it was DD but the mere fact that a car passed two cars to grab the lead late, no matter who it was was enjoyable.

2nd best. Burg, Bilbee setting fast time, Heats that were just insane for a transfer spot and guys doing everything like ripping the chop and the cushion, some had great success, others not so much. The fact that Leary came several spots and swapped the lead with Courtney a few times in the feature was great.

3rd, LPS. You can't have a bad time there (If you get a seat) Heats were great, as I said in another thread, I thought there might have been a bit of bottom left if the Mods ran last, Feature was mayhem and a bit of drama. Want to really thank Spiker for the Hospitality early.

4 Bloomington, There were high and low grooves, Just seemed Leary was the only one who could make the lip work.

5. THAT, What have they done to my favorite track? Bring a sheepsfoot out on a track that after hotlaps and qualifying was shaping up to be great, Very next race it goes slick to the wall and so dusty you couldn't see parts, Took me a hour to clean the hotel tub enough so they didn't think i was washing livestock in it. Yeah, Ballou ran down Courtney and apparently passed him in one, I couldn't see it. Granted I've only been to a dozen or so races there and it was my favorite. It just kinda sucked watching cars like Windom go by and you couldn't even hear him as he wasn't even half throttle.

That being said, I enjoyed all three I attended, seen a lot of great people, chatted with a few drivers, Seen a race on a day I thought I'd be admitted to the hospital or definately get rained out due to forcast and seen many tracks in a short period of time.

Thanks to the Tracks, Teams, Track workers, USAC and many friends for a great ISW 2018

7/29/18, 2:33 PM   #17
btg1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
I laughed when they came by us with the thing on the red tractor lol Like it wasn't even breaking the surface lol sorry still laughing bout it, biggest waste of fuel I"ve evern seen
Lol Jim! My buddy and I have laughed at that every race this season!!

4 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, jim goerge, ronmil, tirespinner
7/29/18, 2:35 PM   #18
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Made it to all 7. Every single one of them had their own unique qualities and “bests”. Most have already been mentioned.

However, to me, the racing is secondary to spending time with my racing family. You all know who you are and you all have been the best of friends. I enjoyed each and every moment spent with you this past week and look forward to more racing this year!!

7/29/18, 7:24 PM   #19
Longtime sprinter

1st time to Plymouth, and thought there was no way they'd get track dry enuf to race on, but racing was great, and I loved the facility. Thought the most exciting racing was at the Burg. Great week, thanks to everyone involved, especially sponsors, and teams. Made my first trip to the half moon saloon, great food.

7/29/18, 7:58 PM   #20
JarrettFarms73

Made it to (5) Kokomo through TSS w/ my dad, brother, & friends.

Best race was Bloomington... for a space to fit our camper. We woke up at LPS and said UH-OH!! Judging from the view come actual race time, we finished middle of the pack.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, ronmil, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best ISW race?